View Full Version : Where is your butt?...

EngrNewf
August 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I can't seem to get comfortable. How am I suppose to be sitting on this thing? I have a ninja 250.

More importantly, where's your butt suppose to go? :P

addy126
August 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM
:rotflmao: :doh: :drink1:

istreefitty
August 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I hug the gas tank between my legs, but I have tried to sit all the way back and it doesnt work for me. Just sit as close or as far as it is comfy

EngrNewf
August 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
So there's no rule like when you're going slow get your butt closer to the tank and when you're going faster have your butt farther away or something? Most of the pics I see the riders seem to be as far back as possible

rockNroll
August 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
While you're learning, just put your butt where it feels best :thumbup:

Nexion
August 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Not that it helps much, but when I was checking the 250 out numerous times at dealers I would sit on it and be pretty much on the tank, like istreefitty.

CC Cowboy
August 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'd have to see your butt first, then I'll make suggestions.

Snake
August 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Like has been previously stated just sit where it feels the best. If you still can't get comfortable then you have to add some padding the the seat or wear padded biking shorts underneath your pants.

Strider
August 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM
:whathesaid:

EngrNewf
August 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Like has been previously stated just sit where it feels the best. If you still can't get comfortable then you have to add some padding the the seat or wear padded biking shorts underneath your pants.

I feel like my shoulders and back is hurting more then anything else (after a short period of time). Like I'm riding a bicycle with the handle bars to low. I'm not locking up my arms.

Strider
August 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Perhaps your grip is too tight and it's causing stress across the rest of your body?

JaeL
August 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I think i might have felt the same way at first...

sofo
August 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Sit comfortably on the seat so you aren't hanging off the back or slammed against the tank. make sure you can grip the tank with your legs so that you can relax your upper body and try keeping a straight back and lean forward a little more or little less as you ride to find a comfortable spot.

You might find you slide forward a little, if so just shift back a little.

Overall, try a neutral position then see how it feels and shift forward, backward and lean down or up more and play with it a bit.

To answer your question, I'm neutral like this most of the time, shift back to the edge of the seat sometimes when I go fast. I'm not good enough to move around any other way yet. ;)

sharky nrk
August 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
i always say to sit with your crotch about an inch away from the tank so that your arms are slightly bent and loose

Cali619
August 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Focus centering your balance on your legs , like shock absorbers, that should help with uncomfortable position. When you tuck down slide your butt back more so your not scrunched in a u shape, more a 90 degree. Hope that makes sense.

sharky nrk
August 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
- also just keep yourself loose and move with the bike as needed. its not like riding in a car, the bike and you are a team so there is no one best position.

Postiez
August 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I sit as far back as possible so i can actually tuck in, otherwise id be straight up all the time

Snake
August 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I feel like my shoulders and back is hurting more then anything else (after a short period of time). Like I'm riding a bicycle with the handle bars to low. I'm not locking up my arms.

If you feel like the handlebars are too low then you can have a set of bar risers instaled which will move your handlebars up and back. This may help your shoulders and back.

AnarchoMoltov
August 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM

+1

DarkNinja52
August 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I can't seem to get comfortable either, and I also seem to grip the handle bars too tight which seems to just cause stress all over, then my hands hurt my back hurts, my crotch hurts. Just becomes a mess. I tend to slide forward while im sitting on the bike and end up right up against the gas tank and then my pants start riding up, oh man what a mess.

Everytime I get a chance to put the bike in neutral, I readjust , trying different places each time. But I think I need to be conscious of grip and tell my self to loosen my grip and sit straight up. Since I'm still learning I tend to over-focus on the controls and street and just stress myself out.

SO what I think (just my opinion, im not always right) is that you should try readjusting your position whenever you can and find out what works for you, I'm sure everyone finds different places comfortable due to size/weight/gender(probably). And if you are stressing yourself out about the controls and street, then just every now and then remember to take a deep breath and try to relax your muscles and just have fun and be careful.

sofo
August 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
One other point... I've been riding my bike stock as it came from the dealer up until now so that I could get a feel for it. Now I am starting to adjust my controls (levers, pedals etc.) and rear suspension preload.

For instance my levers are too high which causes my wrists to be at an uncomfortable angle when say... holding in the clutch lever at a light. I can see how that could be perceived as something else after a ride.

What I'm saying is, could some of your discomfort be due to lack of adjustment that is causing you problems and having to shift around a lot?

Sound Wave
August 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
i couldn't get comfortable on the 250 either. it kept sliding me forward. i bought a corbin seat for it. while i wasn't initially impressed, as it broke in, i was happy with how comfortable it felt. i would guess that having a comfortable base of support, will help the rest of the body relax a bit. idk.

i guess it isn't a problem for females, but if you are pressing your crotch against the gas tank and you hit a bump or something, your balls are probably going to hurt. ymmv. you can learn from my pain or learn the hard way. :D

adouglas
August 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Stay loose on the bars. Your lower back should be getting a bit of a workout holding you up (nothing extreme, mind, but you should be able to take your weight off your arms). I find the position upright enough that I can relax my arms without putting a lot of stress on my lower back.

+1 on hugging the tank with your knees. You don't have to try to crush it, but those big muscles in your legs can do a lot to support you. Put some pressure there and you might find you get some butt relief.

IMHO exactly where you sit depends a whole lot on your own measurements and not a lot on advice you get over the interwebnetz.

I'm 5'7" on a good day, with a 30 inch inseam. How I fit on the bike will be very different from a 6'2" guy, and also very different from a 5'0" girl.

FWIW, I move around to keep from cramping up. Farther back gives a bit more support to my thighs and makes me less upright. Farther forward takes a bit of stress off my lower back.

This bike fits me absolutely perfectly. Sitting in normal riding position, I can put both toes down with the heels of my boots just off the ground. If I hump the tank I can flat-foot it, which is WONDERFUL for maneuvering when parking.

ninjabrewer
August 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I can't seem to get comfortable. How am I suppose to be sitting on this thing? I have a ninja 250.

More importantly, where's your butt suppose to go? :P

I was having the exact same situations as you when I first got my bike, it is my first. Everyone here has pretty much given you the best advice that I know of. It takes time to get used to a bike and riding if you have never rode before. Try to stay relaxed as you can, don't grip the handlebar with a death grip and squeeze the tank with your legs to take the weight off of your shoulders and hold yourself up with your abs and lower back. You will have to move around a bit to find what is right for you, and that can change depending on how you are riding from day to day or how long a ride you are taking. Best way is to go out and ride and it will come to you. Hope this helps.

nb

EngrNewf
August 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I think it's the weight of my body on my arms. Moving back and using those back muscles might help. Thanks for the advice everyone!

JaeL
August 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I think it's the weight of my body on my arms. Moving back and using those back muscles might help. Thanks for the advice everyone!

workout?

istreefitty
August 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
ohh def you shouldnt be putting any weight on your arms but rather use those abs and back muscles to balance

EngrNewf
August 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
workout?
My arms? I don't think that will reduce the strain.

Sound Wave
August 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
ohh def you shouldnt be putting any weight on your arms but rather use those abs and back muscles to balance

:whathesaid:
it may be tiring on your abs and back at first, but once you get used to it, it will be a much more comfortable way to ride.

ScorpionNinja
August 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
i guess it isn't a problem for females, but if you are pressing your crotch against the gas tank and you hit a bump or something, your balls are probably going to hurt. ymmv. you can learn from my pain or learn the hard way. :D

Oh ive been there too man! ouchy... for me its like i would hit a slight bump... Slide forward, but b4 i could move back, i would hit another bump and slide forward INTO the gas tank, and my NUTZ would get a bitch slap!

Now this isnt a End-all,be-all Fix, but it Really helped me out.. was to get this stuff called "STOMPGRIP" (universal kit) I had to custom cut it up into parts to fit my gas tank. Once you have this stuff on, and give it 24 hours to Cure to the Tank. Youll notice a difference in cornering and less sliding forward.
You have to keep alil Knee squeeze pressure into the gas tank while riding or cornering. If you wear Shorts, you will have lil Welts on your inner knees. Thats normal, but you should be ATGATT! :thumbup:

STOMPGRIP cost me like $40 at a local biz here in Mi.

Side note, the MORE you have your BUTT back on the seat, the MORE your gonna feel stress on your Arms/Wrists due to laying in a superman like pose!

If you ride in a upright postion with your BUTT close to the gastank, your arms/wrists will feel better, but your back and abs might bug you. I think its just a matter of you riding more often, and each time a lil longer (time wise, between breaks) and youll build up riding stamina! Of course having a thicker Seat couldnt Hurt! Id like to get a beefyer seat, but for now its not a huge factor yet! :thumbup:

Cedilla
August 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The first couple of weeks I was riding I had a problem with sliding forward on the seat, I also was riding with my feet on the pegs wrong. I had my the middle of my foot on the peg, it took one time of my foot catching the pavement going around a turn to quickly learn I was doing it wrong. When I started riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs I didn't slide forward on the seat anymore. Im guessing that im supporting myself more with my feet as opposed to my butt and wrist.
As for being comfortable on the bike, you justs need to relax and loosen up a little bit. Just starting out you are probably stiff and locked into place on the bike. There is no right place to be on the seat, in fact you should move your butt around on the seat to keep comfortable.
After you put a few more miles on your bike, you will get more comfortable on it, like you and the bike are one, and your body movements complement that of the machine.

minuslars
August 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
As you continue to ride on a regular basis you will build the physical stamina needed to be on the bike in that position for a long period of time. Try sitting in a position where your forearms are more or less parallel to the ground. This will keep the weight off your wrists and prevent soreness. If you have to lean way over to accomplish this, then you can either enjoy your sport riding position :thumbup: or, as other people have suggested, get handlebar risers / mods to make it more comfortable. On my '03 the seat definitely took some getting used to. Two previous owners helped break it in a bit; I imagine a new '09 seat is still pretty firm out of the factory. Again, as others have mentioned, Corbin seats have been rated highly, and for the new gens they actually look GOOD :p although they are quite expensive. A cheaper alternative are pads intended to go under your butt while you ride.

Sailariel
August 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM

You may be sitting too far back. Try relaxing your arms and not use a tight grip. A "Crampbuster" could also be helpful. This is a device that fits on the throttle grip and enables you to throttle up with the heel of your hand.

250rStar
March 13th, 2010, 01:57 AM
ok so how tall are you then cuz i'm 5'9 and sometimes my arms or back start to hurt but never on short rides so all i can say is welcome to riding a sport bike! its gunna happen eventually your body will get used to it OR you will just get used to it and not notice it anymore like me hahaha good luck on finding the best place to put ur but as long as its on the seat ur good =)

Fraja
March 13th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I agree with CCboy. We need to see photos, otherwise our recommendations will not be accurated.

:lol:

Listerineteeth
March 13th, 2010, 06:14 AM
ok so how tall are you then cuz i'm 5'9 and sometimes my arms or back start to hurt

Hmmm... I'm 5'9" and my bum goes numb after about an hour instead... maybe different butt positions?? Never have arm or back problems.

My experience is that sitting close to the tank improves your stability at low speed, while pushing your bum back helps with high speed (a little). The ninjette's position isn't too extreme and tends to favour closer to the tank IMO

How does the bike feel when your sitting on it when stopped? You should be able to easily reach and use all the controls. If not, you may need to modify levers or install lowering links to make it more comfortable. The seat is notoriously hard too (ask me how I know!) so you can look into the options too.

As for being comfortable on the bike, you justs need to relax and loosen up a little bit. Just starting out you are probably stiff and locked into place on the bike. There is no right place to be on the seat, in fact you should move your butt around on the seat to keep comfortable.

Yep, and you get so used to this you don't even know when you shift around. The idea is to firmly grip the tank with your thighs and put your hands on the controls. You should NEVER support yourself with your hands. It can be tough if your just starting out, the instinct is to death grip everything, and I've been cramped up and paid the price for that.

My 2 cents. Hope your butt can find peace with the seat!:)

JokerSeven
March 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
This post was from Aug 8, 2009
I'm sure her butt is fine by now.

Postiez
March 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM

lmao

CC Cowboy
March 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Now we definitely needs pix.

Keenan84
March 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Im not gonna lie, after like 30k i have the same problem and get really uncomfortable. I need to find a softer seat or something.

Fraja
March 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
dude... speak for yourself... i never had problems with my butt... still ok, after 30 years and nobody except my mommy (when i was a baby) put hands there. lol.

F.

Keenan84
March 13th, 2010, 01:22 PM
dude... speak for yourself... i never had problems with my butt... still ok, after 30 years and nobody except my mommy (when i was a baby) put hands there. lol.

F.

Ummm, ok?

CC Cowboy
March 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Im not gonna lie, after like 30k i have the same problem and get really uncomfortable. I need to find a softer seat or something.

Keenan, I just read a thread about you going on a long distance ride, now I read you can't go past 30 kilometers. Maybe you should put the bike in a van and go cross country.

Keenan84
March 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
hey it hurts but thats not stopping me.

wayanlam
March 14th, 2010, 06:02 AM
after a while it all goes numb... then its other parts of your body that stat to ache and distract you! just pick you ass up off the seat at intersections, or wiggle them about while you drive, or take regular pit stops and walk a little. all of those seem to work fine for me.

as for ass position, it depends on the driving style... if im carving up some curves i sit back as far as i can, same goes for top speed. otherwise i sit mid saddle to have a more upright position for comforts sake. but i never sit right on the tank... seems dodgy if i have to do a sudden stop, lol

i did almost 200 Km today, left the house at 5am, and got home at around 10am. decided to go easy today, and the roads that i took didnt allow for a fast pace anyhow, so thats like an average speed of about 40 Km per hour, ha ha... well i did stop a lot to take pictures tho. on average on the better roads i was cruising at around 80~100 Km/h

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/wayanlam/Mt%20Batur%2014%20Mar%202010/P1040357.jpg

gonna post the other pictures on a different thread and if i remember ill post the link in later.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=147384#post147384 <-- started to make the thread :)

CC Cowboy
March 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM

It just takes hours in the seat. It gets easier.

EngrNewf
March 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerSeven View Post

lmao
My butt is fine thank you all for you concern.
Now we definitely needs pix.
I'm sure there are pictures that show my butt on my bike somewhere on this forum.
So after lots of people sitting on my seat and telling me I'm retarded for not changing it I would say for most of the guys it's a padding problem. With me I think it was mainly the fact that I was holding myself up with my arms and not my waist and didn't shift around and was focused staying glued to one spot because I was new.

That's what she said.

after a while it all goes numb... then its other parts of your body that stat to ache and distract you! just pick you ass up off the seat at intersections, or wiggle them about while you drive, or take regular pit stops and walk a little. all of those seem to work fine for me.

as for ass position, it depends on the driving style... if im carving up some curves i sit back as far as i can, same goes for top speed. otherwise i sit mid saddle to have a more upright position for comforts sake. but i never sit right on the tank... seems dodgy if i have to do a sudden stop, lol

i did almost 200 Km today, left the house at 5am, and got home at around 10am. decided to go easy today, and the roads that i took didnt allow for a fast pace anyhow, so thats like an average speed of about 40 Km per hour, ha ha... well i did stop a lot to take pictures tho. on average on the better roads i was cruising at around 80~100 Km/h

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/wayanlam/Mt%20Batur%2014%20Mar%202010/P1040357.jpg

gonna post the other pictures on a different thread and if i remember ill post the link in later.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=147384#post147384 <-- started to make the thread :)

That picture is fantastic! Where is it? I love the fact there are no power lines anywhere!!

Keenan84
March 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
That's what she said. bahahaha, i never even thought of that.

addy126
March 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM

Dig deep and buy a Corbin seat. It makes all the difference in the world adding a little more comfort, a better seating angle and the back of your thighs grip better for more control in the turns :thumbup:

BlueRaven
March 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM
You can surely dish out $250 keenan. Go look in the couch and all your pockets.

EngrNewf
March 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Dig deep and buy a Corbin seat. It makes all the difference in the world adding a little more comfort, a better seating angle and the back of your thighs grip better for more control in the turns :thumbup:

Thank you! I tried to remember what kind of seat was mentioned that I should get and that was it!

Keenan84
March 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
250 isnt bad, but just seems weird spending so much on a seat. Although i guess it is the most essential part to the bike. lol

BlueRaven
March 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I like to do a lot of touring but my butt would only let me drive 2 hours then i had to turn back and go home. Hopefully with this i will be able to ride more then 4 hours a day which is priceles.

I had my seat redone by an uphulstorer a couple of weeks after getting the bike, he changed the foam into a butt friendlier one but it still wasn't enough.

Now i'm just patiently waiting for my corbin seat to come in the mail.

Keenan84
March 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM
where did u order it from?

addy126
March 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Now i'm just patiently waiting for my corbin seat to come in the mail.

It's worth the wait Blue.... you'll see. Just give it a little time to form to your butt:thumbup:

addy126
March 20th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Thank you! I tried to remember what kind of seat was mentioned that I should get and that was it!

Any time.:thumbup:

BlueRaven
March 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Baysideperformance.ca You have to call them to order it though. $249 CDN plus canada post shipping

EngrNewf
April 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Baysideperformance.ca You have to call them to order it though. $249 CDN plus canada post shipping

How did you find the seat after?

BlueRaven
April 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hasn't arrived yet. It takes a few weeks to get the seat from Corbin. Will let you know what i think of it when i try it out. Noche and kkim both have one and they say it's well worth the money.

Snake
April 10th, 2010, 04:15 PM
250 isnt bad, but just seems weird spending so much on a seat. Although i guess it is the most essential part to the bike. lol

Keenan, surely your but is worth $250.

Flashmonkey
April 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Soooo...have we all sorted out our butts yets? :)

BlueRaven
April 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM
My butt was soo sore last week from my first weekend riding. Guess i need to build up my butt tolerance again just like on a bicycle while i wait for my corbin.

wayanlam
April 11th, 2010, 12:48 AM
That picture is fantastic! Where is it? I love the fact there are no power lines anywhere!!

its really rare to find a spot where there aren't any power lines ruining the horizon. all the power lines in this country are definitely visible :mad: so many beautiful views ruined by them :(

Flashmonkey
April 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM
its really rare to find a spot where there aren't any power lines ruining the horizon. all the power lines in this country are definitely visible :mad: so many beautiful views ruined by them :(

I'd kill for a mountain run like that! The roads here are flat and straight :(

wayanlam
April 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM

isn't that what you have Harley's for? he he he...

demp
April 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM

I'd kill for a flat road, all I can seem to find are potholes :rolleyes:

EngrNewf
April 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Soooo...have we all sorted out our butts yets? :)
lol
Ditto. They were actually talking about running power lines through gros morn here :(
http://www.cyclebahn.com/motorcycle-overland/images/grosmorne1.jpg
http://www.cyclebahn.com/motorcycle-overland/NFpics.html
I'd kill for a flat road, all I can seem to find are potholes :rolleyes:
I hear you.
My butt was soo sore last week from my first weekend riding. Guess i need to build up my butt tolerance again just like on a bicycle while i wait for my corbin.
It's just my arm that's killing me. Went out on a 4 hr ride :S

Keenan84
April 21st, 2010, 05:05 PM
i still cant do more than two hours....any more and the seat gets really uncomfortable and my neck starts to hurt, which gives me a headache... lol

EngrNewf
April 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
i still cant do more than two hours....any more and the seat gets really uncomfortable and my neck starts to hurt, which gives me a headache... lol

I did a 4 hour a couple weeks ago. My right shoulder was a little stiff but that was about it! I have bunz of steel :P

lockie
April 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
4 hrs... How far and where?

EngrNewf
April 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
4 hrs... How far and where?

my place to mt pearl to paradise to Brigus to paradise to my place again.

lockie
April 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
nice run. bet it was cold.

EngrNewf
April 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM
nice run. bet it was cold.

I think I'm getting use to it after driving below 0 a couple times. Thouht I was going to freeze to death on the ride home haha. Time to invest in heated grips. Labrador huh? I'm from Lab city :)

Gyrene
April 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Normal cruising, humping the tank. When tucked, all the way back as far as I can get.

Keenan84
April 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Where is YOUR butt?

g21-30
April 27th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I finally opend this thread, because I couldn't believe that someone had misplaced their BUTT! Hopefully, if you're riding a bike, your butt won't be too far behind! :rotflmao: Ha ha, that's pretty good ..... too far behind ;)

kkim
April 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I have bunz of steel :P

pics or it ain't true. :D

rockNroll
April 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM
pics or it ain't true. :D

Yep :whathesaid:

lockie
April 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Trust me... If you've made it through a few winters in Labrador City you've got to have the buns to survive the cold. Often hits -40. That's the same in both Centigrade and Fahrenheit scales. Now I know there's not many bikers there in January but you should see crowds on snowmobiles.

izmail1215
May 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM

ya :Dme too