View Full Version : video editing software

backinthesaddleagain
August 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hello, I am trying to put together a video highlight dvd. Does anyone know of a software that will allow me to highlight a person on a team? Something like one of those white circles that surrounds someone.

Thanks.

hybridxx
August 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM
not sure if it does that specifically, but try Sony Vegas Movie Studio.
im sure it does something like that, ive seen videos made with it and ive seen pretty amazing stuff from it.

im assuming it takes some knowledge with stuff like that tho

Jester
August 11th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Try Avid Express, Final cut express, Adobe premiere or Sony vegas. It's complicated stuff tho, and will take quite a bit of time to learn.

backinthesaddleagain
August 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks - much appreciated.
Greg

baatfam
August 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Try Avid Express, Final cut express, Adobe premiere or Sony vegas. It's complicated stuff tho, and will take quite a bit of time to learn.

Jester is correct...

And one other thing, all of them are expensive.
I've been using Sony Vegas for several years and just the upgrades are close to $200...

They have "lite" versions of most of them, Sony Vegas Movie Studio is the "lite" version of Sony Vegas and sells for around $100 or less...
It will do what you want, but it does take some learning...

There are all kinds of video forums out there you can search up to help.

(Wow....just joined the forum and find a question I know something about...dig that)

Later,
Bob T.

noche_caliente
August 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
welcome Bob- thanks for jumping in!
Greg - if you have the files somewhere that I can get to them, I might be able to help a little

backinthesaddleagain
August 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
welcome Bob- thanks for jumping in!
Greg - if you have the files somewhere that I can get to them, I might be able to help a little

Thanks - but it would be PITA for you. I have about 1 hour of my daughter's volleyball match and since the numbers are only on the back of the jersey I was hoping to put some sort of a highlight around her or a marker pointing to her at the beginning of each play.

baatfam
August 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
What you are trying to do is make a mask...masking off the area you want to stand out and then lighten that or darken the rest or something along those lines...
On one I did a while back, I turned the video black and white, except for the area around my nephew....worked well...

If you are running windows, you should have Windows Movie Maker and it can be made to work.
I think it involves downloading some third party, (free), software...

If you google up "mask for windows movie maker", you should find it.

I wish I could help more, but I really only work with Vegas...sorry.

Oh...one other thing.
Are you working with HD or SD video...'cause HD is a son-of-o-gun to work with...
And I don't think you can do it with Movie Maker...

backinthesaddleagain
August 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks - plain old non HD. Masking so thats the term. I was looking up ghost, spotlighting, outlining.

billmi
August 13th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Here's an article I wrote about how to do an identity blur. Highlighting is essentially the same thing, except instead of blurring the tracking layer, you darken the background layer. The article is about doing it step by step in VT-Edit, but the same process will work in other editing packages that allow layered compositing.

http://corin.com/vt_tutorials/faceblur/index.shtml

I wrote a more concise article, that goes more into tracking a moving person in SpeedEdit (latest evolution of VT-Edit) for Studio Monthly magazine, but it seems they've recently gone to a new policy where you have to subscribe (subscriptions used to be free) to read it online:
http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/searchlist/8032.html