View Full Version : Which Gloves to buy ?!

andrewexd
August 10th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I didn;t really want to make an entire thread but I've been browsing for a pair of gloves because the pair im wearing has almost no protection. Im only looking for the gauntlet type since they offer the most protection. The 4 I have narrowed it down to are...

2. Joe Rocket Jordan 2K7 Replica - $59
http://www.newenough.com/image/path/12486/small/red.jpg?1203996050
Drum dyed leather top and K100 kangaroo palm
Molded plastic knuckle, fingers and thumb protector
Molded plastic palm protectors
High density padding on fingers, cuff and wrist
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/joe_rocket/michael_jordan_2k7_team_replica_race_motorcycle_gloves.html

edit : ended up getting these - thanks for the suggestions.

shift_6
August 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM
whats your price range? none was listed

if u want to go all out. get the held phantom gloves $280. kangaroo leather and stingray

Purspeed
August 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM
You're doing your homework and that's the right thing.

I would suggest you give this link a try http://shop.helimot.com/shopglovesdisplayproducts.asp?id=23&cat=Gloves

The prices may seem a little higher, but there is no better glove available in this class. It's worth it's price (don't ask my why I know). ;)

ninjabrewer
August 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
This thread can help me also. I have been looking for some gauntlet style gloves also because the Scorpion cool hand gloves that I have are already starting to fray and they don't really offer much protection in the event of a mishap. But here is the problem that I am having. The shops that I have been too, the selection is not that great. Understandably, I know they can't stock everything. The ones that I have tried on just don't fit. If they fit in the palm, the fingers are way too long. Fingers fit, palm is way too tight, I have even tried on the A*'s Stella, too tight. Any suggestions? I really don't want to go the custom route as that can be cost prohibitive. If you need to know my size, thin, 5'7" around 135.

TIA

nb

andrewexd
August 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
sorry, i updated the list with the links. Pretty much Im getting one of those gloves, I really can't afford more right now because

1. Im a poor high school kid
2. I still have to get boots / pants and possibly another jacket.
This thread can help me also. I have been looking for some gauntlet style gloves also because the Scorpion cool hand gloves that I have are already starting to fray and they don't really offer much protection in the event of a mishap. But here is the problem that I am having. The shops that I have been too, the selection is not that great. Understandably, I know they can't stock everything. The ones that I have tried on just don't fit. If they fit in the palm, the fingers are way too long. Fingers fit, palm is way too tight, I have even tried on the A*'s Stella, too tight. Any suggestions? I really don't want to go the custom route as that can be cost prohibitive. If you need to know my size, thin, 5'7" around 135.

TIA

nb

Have you tried cyclegear or Berts mega mall ? I think those two are the biggest stores in socal. I went to cyclegear before, they seem to have a decent selection they have an entire row of gloves but I can't remember any specific ones. Berts is supposedly huge but I've never been there. Cycle gear has a website so you should look at their gloves and ask if they have it at the store to try on. They have one in Fullerton which I think is close to you.

DarkNinja52
August 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM

TIA

nb

I had the same problem.. what I did was bought gloves that fit in the fingers but the palm was too small. For some reason that didn't work out too well because when I have my fist closed around the handles, the gloves seem to be tighter, and my fingers seem to reach the end of the finger sleeves a little tighter also (i guess that makes sense) They fit fine when I was wearing them in the store but I would definitely say get something that fits a little bit bigger than a little bit smaller. I loose circulation some times and get very uncomfortable very fast. If anything, the bigger ones will fit well once you have your hand gripped around the throttle at least from my experience and IMO.

ninjabrewer
August 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I had the same problem.. what I did was bought gloves that fit in the fingers but the palm was too small. For some reason that didn't work out too well because when I have my fist closed around the handles, the gloves seem to be tighter, and my fingers seem to reach the end of the finger sleeves a little tighter also (i guess that makes sense) They fit fine when I was wearing them in the store but I would definitely say get something that fits a little bit bigger than a little bit smaller. I loose circulation some times and get very uncomfortable very fast. If anything, the bigger ones will fit well once you have your hand gripped around the throttle at least from my experience and IMO.

When I close my fist like I would be on the bike, the gloves still don't fit, either the fingers are too long or the palm area is too tight. But I will keep looking.

thanks

nb

ScorpionNinja
August 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I wear these. They are a LARGE and fit just fine! Fingers snug, palms snug,etc! Dunno what size you'd be, maybe a MEDIUM.
I got mine for $76.95 afew months back from STG.com (sportbiketrackgear.com) their Local here in Mi. & only 20 mile Ride for me to go pick up new gear and stuff! (getting a PUIG DB windscreen from them next week for $74.95)

Alpinestars SP-X gloves (Red) $89.95 currently

Their a Short Leather & Textile Street Glove. The Knuckles and fingerknuckles have Real Carbon Fiber for Added Protection! NOT WATERPROOF! Like any leather type glove, youll RUIN them if you do alotta riding in the Rain. If you do you should pick up a Wet/Cold weather riding glove to take with you on your Trips!

andrewexd
August 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah I looked at those, someone has a brand new pair on craigslist for $55 but I'd rather get the wrist protection.

CRXTrek
August 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I like the A* SP-1, a little higher $$,but a great glove
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=3410760L&store=Main&catId=&productId=prod2300321&leafCatId=&mmyId=

cnsHaXVsDZg

kkim
August 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I use Held Steve gloves. High quality materials and workmanship. The stitching is flawless. My GF took a look at the gloves and couldn't believe the quality of stitching see saw. For a female to comment on that, you know it 's good. ;)

What I liked about sizing is that they make it in half sizes so you can get a perfect fit.

http://www.acmemotorcycles.com/ACME/images/stories/steve_2115.jpg

Sound Wave
August 11th, 2009, 02:32 AM
andrew, if that is the list you are limited to, then i would go with the cortech. i have two jackets from them and two pairs of pants. the quality seems pretty good at a reasonable price.

i haven't had any experience with the other brands, but i am happy with my cortechs/tourmasters.

personally, i got a pair of a* short and gauntlet gloves. damn, i got a lot of gear.

muffinman
August 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Andrew, get the Joe Rockets... that is a RIDICULOUS deal for a full armored gauntlet with kangaroo leather. Avoid goatskin.. stick with cow or 'roo.

The JR gloves you posted are essentially the same thing as their top-of-the-line Speedmaster gear.

ASecretNinja
August 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have some Joe Rockets similar to the ones you posted. Once they stretched to my hands, they fit and feel awesome.

randomwalk101
August 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
held phantom or Dainese full metal racer

andrewexd
August 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Andrew, get the Joe Rockets... that is a RIDICULOUS deal for a full armored gauntlet with kangaroo leather. Avoid goatskin.. stick with cow or 'roo.

The JR gloves you posted are essentially the same thing as their top-of-the-line Speedmaster gear.

yeah I like them too but I tried on some gloves today at cycle gear and I think im a medium in most brands. Should I get the large or small ? new enough has a nice return policy so it shouldnt matter.

edit : actually I just get the large, bigger is better than smaller for gloves...

eidt2 : Also have a question about boots, are my pants supposed to go over them ? I don't wear "skinny" jeans or tight jeans but I couldnt get my jeans over the boots at the store nor could I zip them up tucked in (which looks ridiculous anyhow) so they just kind of stacked up over the top.

adouglas
August 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Not on your list, but just FYI....

I picked up a pair of Lee Parks Design gloves. I have a pair of the short-cuff gloves but will probably get some gauntlets too at some point.

They're much simpler in design, without miles of stitching and lots of fiddly geegaws. Those carbon-fiber knuckle protectors? Do you know what happens to carbon fiber when it breaks? It turns into needle-sharp shards. No, thank you.

These gloves are made of deerskin and elkskin, and they fit amazingly well once broken in (which doesn't take long). I can pick up coins with my gloves on. They're fantastic. They fit like a... well, you know.

Parks himself (he wrote Total Control, where I learned about the gloves) has strong opinions about the importance of glove design. His take is that all that stitching just gives you more bulk, poorer fit, and more potential points of failure. Better to have as few seams as possible and use the best materials you can.

I agree with him and am very happy with the gloves. He has a size chart that is spot-on accurate (at least it was for me). You get a glove that starts snug and wear it for a while... it will stretch to fit. I normally wear an M or even a L, and bought a S Parks glove. It was a bit tight initially but sure enough, it did break in and is now perfect. It's the first pair of gloves I've ever owned that actually fit my hands properly with no excess anywhere.

http://leeparksdesign.com/

I've been given to understand that in SoCal, Chaparral Cycle Supply in San Bernardino stocks them, so if you're in the LA vicinity you can see them for yourself.

Chaparral Cycle Supply:

http://www.chaparral-racing.com

http://cdn-2.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/leeparksdesign/elksports_call-outs_web580.jpg

sharky nrk
August 12th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I have the JR jordan gloves - bought them around 6-7 months ago before the most recent price adjustment. they are very very good gloves for the money. almost identical to the speedmaster 6 from JR which is a top tier glove. the kangaroo is super supple and the overal quality and stiching very good. Mine are white :D

andrewexd
August 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Ok I ended up buying the Joe rocket gloves, I got them today and they look great but they're a bit large one me. Maybe like 1/4 inch of space in the fingers, is this ok ?

muffinman
August 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Ok I ended up buying the Joe rocket gloves, I got them today and they look great but they're a bit large one me. Maybe like 1/4 inch of space in the fingers, is this ok ?

How do the palms fit? If the fingers are jsut a TAD bit too long, that's fine.. as the glove breaks in and fits around the curvature of your fingers, it'll "shorten".

I've had three pairs of leather riding gloves and they were all about 0.25"~0.5" too long for me in the fingers and now they all fit perfect!

andrewexd
August 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
How do the palms fit? If the fingers are jsut a TAD bit too long, that's fine.. as the glove breaks in and fits around the curvature of your fingers, it'll "shorten".

I've had three pairs of leather riding gloves and they were all about 0.5" too long for me in the fingers and now they all fit perfect!

Thanks - but I think the palms are bit wide for me too, I can pinch about .5-.75 inches on the side. A medium would definitley fit me better but they ran out.

muffinman
August 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks - but I think the palms are bit wide for me too, I can pinch about .5-.75 inches on the side. A medium would definitley fit me better but they ran out.

NewEnough has an awesome return policy.. they'll take care of ya.

demp
August 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
anyone tried the timax gloves? (icon)

Cedilla
August 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I would stay away from the JR phoenix gloves, they are bulky and like to bunch up in the palms, also the stitching is less than great(you should be handy with a thread and needle if you buy these). These are my first gloves so thats all the advise I can give.:thumbup:

andrewexd
August 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Im going to return them... they're too big for me. I do like the kangaroo palm they feel better. anyway I think im going to go with the a* gp plus or something else... gotta keep looking.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/alpinestars/gp_plus_motorcycle_gloves.html

Sound Wave
August 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
i can't comment on the gp plus glove, but i have the a* gp pro gloves. i like them. one problem was that i had previously bought an a* gp-x glove in large (my usual size for medical gloves) and it was too tight. i bought an extra large, and while it felt a bit too big to start off with, it has since shrunk a bit and fits perfectly.

when i bought the gp pros, i went straight to the extra large. while it felt the same initially as the gp-x's, it hasn't shrunk as much as my other pair. so, it still seems a bit big. still, i think if i had gone with the large, it would have been too small. other than that, i am happy with the way it feels.

andrewexd
August 22nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
i can't comment on the gp plus glove, but i have the a* gp pro gloves. i like them. one problem was that i had previously bought an a* gp-x glove in large (my usual size for medical gloves) and it was too tight. i bought an extra large, and while it felt a bit too big to start off with, it has since shrunk a bit and fits perfectly.

when i bought the gp pros, i went straight to the extra large. while it felt the same initially as the gp-x's, it hasn't shrunk as much as my other pair. so, it still seems a bit big. still, i think if i had gone with the large, it would have been too small. other than that, i am happy with the way it feels.

hmm im having a sizing problem too. In the gp plus the medium fits snug (mainly in the palms not the fingers) but not overly snug and definitely not enough to size up, in the a* sp-1 the medium fits almost perfectly. Will the plus stretch out ? or should i go with the sp-1 ... ? the thing is the sp-1's cost more ($10) even though the gp plus are better :(

Sound Wave
August 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
reading my booklet that came with my pro gloves:
"select the size of glove you think is closest to your hand size. the gloves are ergomically shaped. to check the fit put the glove on and open your hand flat. there should be no material in contact with the tips of your fingers. the glove should feel tight, but not restrictive. for leather gloves choose a slightly tighter glove as the gloves will stretch over a short period to become optimal to your hand....

make a clenched fist, or grip a handlebar. again there should be none, or very slight contact with the tips of the fingers. there should be no large folds of material over the palm of the hand."

going by that, it seems the medium gp plus may be ok for you. idk. that is for you to decide.

the large gp-x was so tight that my palm was getting sore. also, the stitching of the fingers were so snug against my fingertips that it was digging under my nails. OUCH! that is why i went with the size up.

i think i am going to try and wear my gp pro gloves and wet them. hopefully they will shrink like my gp-x gloves did. worth a shot i guess.

andrewexd
August 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
thanks ! thats exactly what I needed to know. I'll go with the gp plus in medium.:)