View Full Version : Cheap and easy tail box.

RogerPapaMike
April 10th, 2016, 05:26 PM
While I was going down the highway at 75mph, into a pretty stiff headwind (20mph) the tank back I had been using for about a 1 1/2 years completely blew off and landed in an Arizona ditch rife with cacti and rattle snakes. At the time I did not have anything in it, so I didn't bother going back to look for it.

I absolutely hate spending money I don't have to. So I decided to look for a different solution (read: cheaper). What I came up with cost me about $10. I got a small plastic toolbox from the thrift store, and some nylon straps and plastic clips from the arts and craft section at Walmart. After some experimenting and measuring I attached two 4.5inch metal strips to the top of rear grab bar, and bolted the box onto them. I then used some silicon adhesive to fill any holes in the box so that it would hold up to all the rain that we get in the Sonoran desert. Now I have a cheap and durable (hopefully) little box that can hold what my ill fated tank bag did, and won't fly off in the wind.

crazymadbastard
April 11th, 2016, 11:00 AM
That's some McGuiver sh!t right there.:D

Alex
April 11th, 2016, 05:04 PM
:thumbup:

Bob KellyIII
November 30th, 2022, 01:07 AM
hay Philip ! I think you may need more support under that box buddy !
bumps are the enemy of baggage carriers they have a tendancy to rip out bolt holes and
do strange twists at the same time... I had a teardrop shaped bag on my 1963 Honda 305 dream that I had heavily loaded, rip the bolts through the plastic and it tried very hard to leave the bike on the freeway one day.... I bungeed it back into place and later reinforced both bags with plate straps and several more bolts ...I lived down 2 miles of a dry creek bed of a road at the time.... but I never had a problem after going overboard
with their attachment ! .....
I haven't had any problems with the boxes on my bikes up here in Weed,Ca. but the roads I putt around on are not smooth ! weight and boxes and rough roads don't mix
so check them often !
Bob......

Triple Jim
January 10th, 2024, 05:56 AM
It seems like we're getting posts from very interested "AI" members lately.

Bob KellyIII
January 10th, 2024, 06:29 PM
well, ya never know Jim....there may be a day when a computer wants to go for a ride !!!!!
Bob...