View Full Version : Gingerman turn 3 lowside

almost40
August 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM
After over 1000 miles of track riding Ive had my first taste of pavement. I ran out of tire and talent in turn 3 and lowsided on Sat in the last session. Im hoping the girl who got the whole thing on video will post it on youtube. There was a track photographer in that corner and he got pics of me just after I laid it down. It will be a few weeks before I get them, but Ill post them here when they come in.
Im no worse for the wear. I wasnt even sore on Sun.
Thank God for the clip-ons. I bent a bar and bought a replacement at the track for $6. I was up and running in 30 min. I scratched up the plastic and my Area P but other than that the lil 250 was just fine.

noche_caliente
August 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
sorry to hear, but glad the damage was minimal

Strider
August 10th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Good thing you weren't hurt!
Sorry to hear about the damage to your bike, but at least you got back up and on!

DarkNinja52
August 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
glad to hear you werent seriously hurt, low sides don't seem to usually be too bad.
how fast you think you were goin?

almost40
August 11th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Not sure of the speed but turn 3 is a 3rd gear corner and I upshift to 4th at the apex so Id guess 60ish. Wait till you see the pics. The instructor behind me rode inbetween me and the bike.

Broom
August 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
cool... now that you got that out of the way you can go even faster!

DarkNinja52
August 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
cool... now that you got that out of the way you can go even faster!

You know... i tried that once... doesn't work the way you would hope

almost40
August 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Broom The first 2 sessions on Sun were a little bit slower. Id say 85% speed but by the middle of the day I got tired of being blazed. This brought me back up to speed in no time.
Sunday closed out with me passing 2 SV650's and keeping pace with an older Ducatti the whole session. I passed a few more bikes than that, but those were the ones in my minds eye that were really trying.
I knew the guy on the duck. He said it makes about 80hp. He was impressed that a "little" 250 could keep pace.

almost40
August 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
heres a pic I just got in my email from a guy at the track.

Lots more to come when I get my dvd in the mail

tinng321
August 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I thought you are not allowed to pass during session on track day.

Broom
August 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM
depends on the group you're in. beginers groups generally can't make passes in the turns. the more advanced groups have less rules.

Alex
August 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I've never been to a trackday where passes aren't allowed. The only restrictions I've ever seen is for no inside passing to be allowed in C group. That means when in a corner, you can't strafe somebody on the inside, surprising them by taking their line. Outside passing is still permitted.

But most of the track orgs I go to now have gotten rid of even that restriction, as in their opinion it seemed to hurt more than help. Safe passing is safe passing, whether inside or outside, and it's safer for all concerned if riders don't bunch up behind a slower rider in front.

almost40
August 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You can pass anywhere. You should give a 6 foot saftey margin.

Jam3s
September 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Im Glad to hear your ok! im waiting till next spring to start doing track days. I only have about 3000 miles riding experience. Hey you dont live too far from me! have u ever been to Grattan? I think thats where im going on my frist track day or Gingerman which ever comes first.

almost40
September 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Just did Grattan last weekend. I have a love hate relationship with that track. I love the bowl, I love turn 1, I love the S's
I hate the off camber turn 3, and Im not too in love with the bus stop, but its growing on me.

I would suggest going to Gingerman first as its much more novice friendly. Its a great track. you'll love it. I assume your going with sportbiketracktime They have a good novice class and you WILL learn ALOT.

If the weather is nice Ill be doing my last trackday of the year at Gingerman in the begining of Oct. You should go if you can its only $110 a day with no membership fee's. Worth every penny.

Ill be running Intermediate an my lil black 250. Hope you can make the trip.

P.S. I used to live in NW Indy where you at??

Jam3s
September 11th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I live in Valparaiso aprox 50miles east of chicago. Thanks for all the advic! and ya I am going with STT. I cant wait to see all i can learn from their classes. I would love to make it out there in october but im gonna be out of town the weekend of the track day. But you have fun and hopefully ill see you there in the spring. Im gonna have all winter to continue to modify my bike more and buy some more gear! :)

almost40
September 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I used to live in Dyer, Your only about an hour from Gingerman. well see you next year at the track. Ill probably be riding my naked FZ-6 but I might break out the lil 250 for a weekend or 2.

Looks like all you need is a set of clip-ons and some EBC HH pads for the front brake.(stock pads will work fine) Dont forget to buy a back protector and dont skimp on the gear. Its worth every penny as you can see by my crash pics.