View Full Version : My $0.00 Fender Chop

nate-bama
August 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Took less than a hour. Have to go back and file the rough edges down.

Verus Cidere
August 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I still like the way the comp werkes elim looks. Stainless is sexy! :thumbup:

nate-bama
August 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
um i like a 100 bucks in my pocket

Verus Cidere
August 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Fair enough.

nate-bama
August 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM
the pics suck but i used the stock signals minus the lenses, when positioned correctly they fit well into the socket holes allready there. all plug and play for the wire challengened. the fit is suprisingly good. My tag light is the bake/tail light simply remove the tab at the bottom of the lens.
Now im sure there are those who wont like this approach i had bought sockets for it but once i ripped it apart i didnt feel like drilling. Oh and you cant tell what i did when every things in place

nate-bama
August 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Oh and the cops dont much mess with bikes around here and screw em if they did

tjkamper
August 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
That extra $100 in your wallet makes you look sexier. Nice job on the mod.

nate-bama
August 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
That extra $100 in your wallet makes you look sexier. Nice job on the mod.

thanks

Snake
August 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I still like the way the comp werkes elim looks. Stainless is sexy! :thumbup:

Post some pics so we can judge for ourselves.

Verus Cidere
August 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM
How about a link to Apex's thread about his CW fender elim? There are pics in that one! If they aren't good enough, let me know and I'll try to get better ones, but it may be fairly difficult as all I have is a camera phone. ;)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17784&highlight=fender

And let me clarify a bit more on why I went ahead and spend the money on this... This is all my opinion of course. :D

It's safer for people like me who have no skill whatsoever with any type of tool other than a screwdriver and a wrench if I'm lucky. I don't have to cut anything, drill anything, rig anything or whatsoever.
It's a bit cleaner. Straight, bolt-on, stainless steel. No possibility of a frayed edge or bad cut, along with the fact that stainless just looks cleaner than the OEM plastic IMO.
It may be a very slight change, but trunk space is improved.
License plate bracket is also stainless, so there's less chance of the license plate falling or breaking off.
It comes with a clear plastic lens to put where the old tab at the bottom of the taillight was, not only cleaning up the look of what was originally just a hole, and keeping any possibility of any debris from getting up into the taillight and obstructing or damaging the bulb.

Again, all of these are my opinion, but they were good enough reasons for me to get the kit. I'm sure that Nate is quite a bit more tool savvy than I, and therefore his fender chop could easily turn out just as good as my elim. :thumbup:

JCCJMM_
August 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
You know, removing the rear fender on pre-08 is very common. When I first read up on the 250 just about everyone had "fender eliminated" in their profile.

So....I think I was convinced that it needed to go. So I grabbed my cordless dremel and went to town! I hacked that baby up.

Fast forward 2 years.....the fender is back on. I think my blinders came off. IMO, the rear fender completes the aesthetics of the bike. With the fender gone, the void between the skinny tire and the tail looked strange when I really looked at it. Oh, and it does a wonderful job of keeping the rider and the back of the bike clean and dry.

BUT, to each his own. That is just my opinion on the fender elimination subject.

nate-bama
August 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
How about a link to Apex's thread about his CW fender elim? There are pics in that one! If they aren't good enough, let me know and I'll try to get better ones, but it may be fairly difficult as all I have is a camera phone. ;)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17784&highlight=fender

And let me clarify a bit more on why I went ahead and spend the money on this... This is all my opinion of course. :D

It's safer for people like me who have no skill whatsoever with any type of tool other than a screwdriver and a wrench if I'm lucky. I don't have to cut anything, drill anything, rig anything or whatsoever.
It's a bit cleaner. Straight, bolt-on, stainless steel. No possibility of a frayed edge or bad cut, along with the fact that stainless just looks cleaner than the OEM plastic IMO.
It may be a very slight change, but trunk space is improved.
License plate bracket is also stainless, so there's less chance of the license plate falling or breaking off.
It comes with a clear plastic lens to put where the old tab at the bottom of the taillight was, not only cleaning up the look of what was originally just a hole, and keeping any possibility of any debris from getting up into the taillight and obstructing or damaging the bulb.

Again, all of these are my opinion, but they were good enough reasons for me to get the kit. I'm sure that Nate is quite a bit more tool savvy than I, and therefore his fender chop could easily turn out just as good as my elim. :thumbup:

i wouldnt down anyone for spending the money for the kit, i just didnt have it availible to be honest. I used a cd case for my clear lens and some left over brackets from a camera kit from my work for the plate mounting. the only tool i used other than a 10mm nut driver was a little hand saw to chop the largest portion of the fender off. i left a 1/4 inch to be safe. then i used a utility knife to shave it down flush and some sand paper to clean it up. So if any one likes the fenderless look and is short on cash..merry christmas

nate-bama
September 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
and had to flip my plate brackets to line up with my brake/plate light

nate-bama
September 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
yo

nate-bama
September 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
You know, removing the rear fender on pre-08 is very common. When I first read up on the 250 just about everyone had "fender eliminated" in their profile.

So....I think I was convinced that it needed to go. So I grabbed my cordless dremel and went to town! I hacked that baby up.

Fast forward 2 years.....the fender is back on. I think my blinders came off. IMO, the rear fender completes the aesthetics of the bike. With the fender gone, the void between the skinny tire and the tail looked strange when I really looked at it. Oh, and it does a wonderful job of keeping the rider and the back of the bike clean and dry.

BUT, to each his own. That is just my opinion on the fender elimination subject.
LOL serious?

nate-bama
December 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
i wouldnt down anyone for spending the money for the kit, i just didnt have it availible to be honest. I used a cd case for my clear lens and some left over brackets from a camera kit from my work for the plate mounting. the only tool i used other than a 10mm nut driver was a little hand saw to chop the largest portion of the fender off. i left a 1/4 inch to be safe. then i used a utility knife to shave it down flush and some sand paper to clean it up. So if any one likes the fenderless look and is short on cash..merry christmas

Merry Christmas...Chop that stock fender Folks:p

2WheelGuy
January 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I'm all for the $0.00 fender mod. I made the license plate bracket from a piece of scrap metal and the license plate lamp mod from an old CD case.

I did spend a few bucks for amber turn signals on this one:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/Ninja250tail/IMGP0897a_resize.jpg

This one is just spent 2 bucks for a pair of sockets for the turn signals.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/Ninja250tail/Image028.jpg

Shano22
January 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Im gettin those same lenses cause i wanted some difference in the brake light/ turn signal so its not all red flashing at the the same time

nate-bama
January 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Copied your fender job :D hope you dont mind. love the way it turned out!!! My amber colored lenses are coming in tomorrow for the turn signals next to the brake light. Hence the missing lense

awesome looks good!

HKr1
January 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Fender chops look nice.

I really like the amber sides on the tail light for turn sigs.... thats pretty slick :thumbup:

Apex
February 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I like my CW eliminator kit.

Still, nice job for only spending $0. :D

nate-bama
February 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
thanks mark
:)

Hunsy34
February 21st, 2010, 12:29 AM
Where do you buy the amber lenses, or the clear lenses next to the brake lights?

FocusDave
May 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
plan on doing this soon but definitely wanna keep the stock rear signals instead of integrated I think.. whenever I am behind bikes with integrated signals while im driving a car its so hard to tell which way they are goin sometimes

Off to bendin we shall go

nate-bama
July 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
whatever route you choose get rid of that stock fender:)
:thumbup:

sohcanddohc
July 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Nate where in AL are you? I did the fender chop last week while getting a new tire put on. I was able to use the stock plate mount. and just put the bulb sockets in the red lenses. It's my wifes bike and I have to ask before I do anything to it. Glad you guys had pictures of what it would look like.

nate-bama
July 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I 'm in Mentone Rob, congrats on getting rid of that ugly fender

sohcanddohc
July 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I 'm in Mentone Rob, congrats on getting rid of that ugly fender

Cool we have been trying to get over to little river canyon for a while but something always comes up. I am in Arab just south of Huntsville.

thandor
September 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Where do you buy the amber lenses, or the clear lenses next to the brake lights?

I, too, would like to know this. I'd want my blinkers to be amber. I'm guessing an amber lamp in the stock red lens would still look red.

darrell85
September 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
D2MOTO sells amber lenses for I believe $24, and this sounds just like I did my fender. When I removed the piece off the bottom of the tail light for the tag light, I cut a piece of plastic off of a CD case and glued it in its place to keep all the road grime out. Just a suggestion

thandor
September 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Is there any bike performance difference in the rain? I've seen users comment that you may want the fender if you ride in the rain but I'm wondering if that is to be courteous to the people behind you:eek:, or if there is a real performance or rider comfort reason.

sudapuff
September 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Here's my $0.00 fender eliminator. i kept the blinkers because i am eventually going to put hyper-lite running/brake lights in the rear pods ( they flash for a few sec then go solid when u apply the break). I also feel the blinkers take away from the square look on the back of the bike. as far as riding in the rain i have not had any noticeable splash back or kick up of dirt
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8GbuXOR7zac/TJZgAwnFoEI/AAAAAAAAADU/k1YMpqauE_Y/61821_1306482504555_1305300570_31489290_7100612_n.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8GbuXOR7zac/TJZgBMSzxII/AAAAAAAAADY/0fC-EDdH3K0/s640/61969_1306476704410_1305300570_31489241_1227560_n.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8GbuXOR7zac/TJZgBHSh18I/AAAAAAAAADc/-YSTKdGyEKY/s640/58399_1306477744436_1305300570_31489243_563199_n.jpg

nate-bama
September 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
well it's better lookin than stock b:) but next time wear shoes please