View Full Version : Woodstock: 40th Anniversary

Sailariel
August 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I do not want to sound maudlin or controversial, BUT, while Woodstock rocked Aug 15-18, 109 soldiers died, and at least twice as many were wounded. I was in Vietnam during that time and can tell you that the news of this event was not particularly popular. (An aside--I guess I have lots. Did you know that Jimi Hendrix served in Vietnam with the 101St Airborne Division and was awarded the Silver Star for Valor?) I like Hendrix. What he said at Woodstock had meaning.

ninjabrewer
August 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Did you know that Jimi Hendrix served in Vietnam with the 101St Airborne Division and was awarded the Silver Star for Valor?) I like Hendrix. What he said at Woodstock had meaning.

Did not know that, what did he do and was this before or after he got famous as a entertainer? Also, what did he say at Woodstock?

nb

Sailariel
August 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I felt that Jimi Hendrix had a right to speak out against the war in Vietnam because he was there--I mean REALLY there. Silver stars are not passed out. There is only one way to get one, and it is usually accompanied by a Purple Heart. He said that the war was wrong and based on a big lie (Gulf of Tonkin Incident that was a total fabrication to draw us into that quagmire) I realized the war was wrong about two months in country. I had no problem with what the people in the peace movement had to say. Where I had a problem was that a lot of the demonstrators "Shot the messenger" I did not need to be called a "Baby killer", be spit on, attacked verbally by professors while struggling to get my Master`s Degree, and being discriminated against in employment ("Right now we are not hiring baby killers") I ended up having to borrow money from my parents at age 30 to buy into a motorcycle dealership. That was embarrasing. The only way I was able to finally get a job was through the Emergency Employment Act in 1971 where the feds paid my first year`s salary--and if my proficiency rating was OK, I would get the job with time served in the military as seniority. That`s how I got tenured. Quite honestly, in retrospect, Vietnam was cake compared to what I came back to. I pray every day that our brave servicemen will never experience that degree of hostility. I make it a point to thank our soldiers personally for their dedicated service. They deserve it all. There are some people here in Maine that objected to the sign in my car`s back window that says "While Woodstock Rocked, 109 GIs Died" I was in Vietnam in 1969 and it was quite intense, to say the least. Trust me, I have no regrets and am very proud of my service. I also feel that I have paid my dues and have no problem expressing my views--even if they offend some people.

Snake
August 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner on his guitar was awesome.

ninjabrewer
August 15th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I felt that Jimi Hendrix had a right to speak out against the war in Vietnam because he was there--I mean REALLY there. Silver stars are not passed out. There is only one way to get one, and it is usually accompanied by a Purple Heart. He said that the war was wrong and based on a big lie (Gulf of Tonkin Incident that was a total fabrication to draw us into that quagmire) I realized the war was wrong about two months in country. I had no problem with what the people in the peace movement had to say. Where I had a problem was that a lot of the demonstrators "Shot the messenger" I did not need to be called a "Baby killer", be spit on, attacked verbally by professors while struggling to get my Master`s Degree, and being discriminated against in employment ("Right now we are not hiring baby killers") I ended up having to borrow money from my parents at age 30 to buy into a motorcycle dealership. That was embarrasing. The only way I was able to finally get a job was through the Emergency Employment Act in 1971 where the feds paid my first year`s salary--and if my proficiency rating was OK, I would get the job with time served in the military as seniority. That`s how I got tenured. Quite honestly, in retrospect, Vietnam was cake compared to what I came back to. I pray every day that our brave servicemen will never experience that degree of hostility. I make it a point to thank our soldiers personally for their dedicated service. They deserve it all. There are some people here in Maine that objected to the sign in my car`s back window that says "While Woodstock Rocked, 109 GIs Died" I was in Vietnam in 1969 and it was quite intense, to say the least. Trust me, I have no regrets and am very proud of my service. I also feel that I have paid my dues and have no problem expressing my views--even if they offend some people.

I am also glad that the publics opinion of the military has changed drastically. I think part of the reason is the parents of the Soldiers today were the Soldiers in Vietnam and they saw what was done to them and didn't want the same for their kids. When we passed through Atlanta on my way to and from R&R lv from Iraq, we got a standing ovation as we passed through the terminal on the way to the gates. The airline announced over the intercom as we landed in Hawaii and those of us on leave, the rest of the passengers let us get off first. I was on my way back and I had called my mom from HI and she and my sister met me at the airport since I had a 7 hour layover.

Although I will be glad when we finally get out of there. I get the DOD press releases and seems like everyday I get a casualty one.

nb

During peacetime, sons bury their fathers. During war, fathers bury their sons. I don't remember where I saw that, but it has stuck with me for a long time.

sofo
August 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
This is interesting reading, topics I enjoy but find hard since my dad and grandfathers served during Vietnam and WWII respectively but I was never in the military, so I'm cautious about talking about it.

I think Hendrix made a unique statement when he spoke about Vietnam and played the Star Spangled Banner, it's like he honored patriotism and the beauty that is the American ideal while letting the conflict and tension of the era out at the same time.

I agree completely that when protesting a war, protest the decision and decision makers that initiate and support it, not the soldiers that fight. I fear the human mob mentality tends to realize this doesn't get the results they want and then they take out their frustrations on soldiers who should be honored.

I am glad there wasn't another big-hype Woodstock 2009 concert this year.

Sailariel
August 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I am also glad that the publics opinion of the military has changed drastically. I think part of the reason is the parents of the Soldiers today were the Soldiers in Vietnam and they saw what was done to them and didn't want the same for their kids. When we passed through Atlanta on my way to and from R&R lv from Iraq, we got a standing ovation as we passed through the terminal on the way to the gates. The airline announced over the intercom as we landed in Hawaii and those of us on leave, the rest of the passengers let us get off first. I was on my way back and I had called my mom from HI and she and my sister met me at the airport since I had a 7 hour layover.

Although I will be glad when we finally get out of there. I get the DOD press releases and seems like everyday I get a casualty one.

nb

Chris, That`s how it should be, and for you guys and gals it is more than well deserved. Trust me, if any of us Nam vets see anything resembling how we got treated, there would be hell to pay. Never Again.
During peacetime, sons bury their fathers. During war, fathers bury their sons. I don't remember where I saw that, but it has stuck with me for a long time.

Sailariel
August 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
This is interesting reading, topics I enjoy but find hard since my dad and grandfathers served during Vietnam and WWII respectively but I was never in the military, so I'm cautious about talking about it.

I think Hendrix made a unique statement when he spoke about Vietnam and played the Star Spangled Banner, it's like he honored patriotism and the beauty that is the American ideal while letting the conflict and tension of the era out at the same time.

I agree completely that when protesting a war, protest the decision and decision makers that initiate and support it, not the soldiers that fight. I fear the human mob mentality tends to realize this doesn't get the results they want and then they take out their frustrations on soldiers who should be honored.

I am glad there wasn't another big-hype Woodstock 2009 concert this year.
I am glad as well. I have no plans to watch the news Aug 15-18. I would rather quietly honor the 109 soldiers who died while Woodstock "rocked".

nate-bama
August 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
I do not want to sound maudlin or controversial, BUT, while Woodstock rocked Aug 15-18, 109 soldiers died, and at least twice as many were wounded. I was in Vietnam during that time and can tell you that the news of this event was not particularly popular. (An aside--I guess I have lots. Did you know that Jimi Hendrix served in Vietnam with the 101St Airborne Division and was awarded the Silver Star for Valor?) I like Hendrix. What he said at Woodstock had meaning.

your full of it
yeah he was in the 101st briefly
no he didnt go to war

and the silver star "awarded" is offensive

"Hendrix enlisted in the United States Army in 1961 and trained at Fort Ord in California to become a paratrooper. Even as a soldier, he found time for music, creating a band named The King Casuals. Hendrix served in the army until 1962 when he was discharged due to an injury."

http://www.biography.com/articles/Jimi-Hendrix-9334756

Sailariel
August 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
your full of it
yeah he was in the 101st briefly
no he didnt go to war

and the silver star "awarded" is offensive

"Hendrix enlisted in the United States Army in 1961 and trained at Fort Ord in California to become a paratrooper. Even as a soldier, he found time for music, creating a band named The King Casuals. Hendrix served in the army until 1962 when he was discharged due to an injury."

http://www.biography.com/articles/Jimi-Hendrix-9334756

Nate, Sorry that I was misinformed. I stand corrected.

nate-bama
August 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
i apologize as well

in the 101st we all heard the hendrix stories, he washed out, but supposedly left a cool mural on his baracks wall

Sailariel
August 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
We heard stories about him as well when I was with the 173Rd ABN (Sep) in 1969---nothing about him washing out. I would suspect that we all really wanted to hear good things, and probably assumed that injury=combat, etc. etc. Hey, at least the guy gave it shot and did not run off to God knows where to dodge the draft. Of course in 62, the only Americans in Nam were "civilians" and SF operatives--no 101St.

cwb48
August 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Alex, I had to add my experience after Vietnam to your words on the subject. In fact, I never had anyone call me a "baby killer" or anything else negative on my return in Jan. '71. One of my anti-war friends did have something negative to say to me, but our friendship made it almost acceptable.

I also did not experience any discrimination in employment or anything else, for that matter. I know that what happened to you was not unique, but not every Vietnam vet was treated poorly.

On the other hand, I didn't get a parade either! Had to take a cab home from the airport all by myself.

Chris

P.S.:Anyone who has not seen the Hendrix sunrise set at Woodstock should rent it as soon as possible!

Sailariel
August 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Chris, There were pockets of hostility, and I happened to be in one of those pockets. The town had a large very liberal university that was very active in the anti war movement. Fortunately things and people have changed. Moving to rural Maine 18 years ago was the best move I made. The people in Maine and the Canadian Maritimes are absolutely fantastic,