View Full Version : What will make me a better rider?

dive1tom
August 13th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I've done the MSF course.

Riding back roads with lots curves?

Freeway?

Racetracks?

Seems like I have read every motorcycle safety article out there. I have 3000 miles on my 2009 Ninja that I bought in May. Does putting allot of miles on your bike account for so call "years" of experience?

DarkNinja52
August 13th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I'm still new at this, but from what I hear, people that have been riding for yearrrs, are still learning new things everytime they take the bike out. Keep doing what your doing, maybe take the Advanced Course the MSF offers. But I think as long as you keep riding, you'll continually learn and get better. And although miles on your bike helps the learning process, so does time, and IMO miles <> time. Just my two cents :)

adouglas
August 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
My $0.02:

Riding is a skill, and like any skilled activity you can just "phone it in" and engage in it without actually working on it, or you can make a concentrated effort to improve yourself.

Every ride is an opportunity to work on your skills, no matter what they are. Whether it's:

Practicing better accident-avoidance procedures (actively engaging in the "what if" game, improving your situational awareness, paying real attention to placement on the road relative to traffic, etc. etc.)
Practicing emergency skills (panic stops, swerves, etc. etc.)
Improving riding skills (smoother application of power and brakes, line selection, slow in/fast out, low-speed maneuvering [love those U-turns!]etc. etc.)
Fine-tuning your body position
Or anything else you can think of...

... there's always a chance to learn something. Always.

You can get as deep into this as you like. It is entirely possible to occupy your brain full-time with practicing/drilling yourself and trying to improve while you ride, and come out at the end of the day thoroughly exhausted (and with a deep sense of satisfaction).

Or you can just cruise along on autopilot and enjoy the scenery without paying much attention to your riding.

Realistically, you'll probably do something in between.

This observation comes from my experience as a pilot and aviation journalist (in a former life I was one of the editors of Aviation Safety magazine, and spent a lot of time and wrote a lot of words about skills improvement).

Beyond your approach and attitude on your daily rides....

I've never done a track day on a bike, and probably never will, but I did drive race cars some years back (nothing fancy, just time trials). From that experience I learned that a vehicle driven near the limit behaves VERY differently from one driven under normal road conditions. My experience on the track definitely made me a more aware and better driver.

If bikes are like that (and to me it's obvious that they are) then going to a school and getting some track time will improve your skills on the street. Good instruction is very important here.

Anyway... sorry for the long post. Hope it helps.

Broom
August 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
take a riders school at your local track

kkim
August 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
read some books on how to do some performance riding, then take a riders school if offered in your area.

it all begins in the mind and then is executed through your riding skills.

noche_caliente
August 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Welcome Tom! My advice is to start out slow - do some more parking lot practice if there's an empty lot near you, or take some back roads that are in good condition but not frequently traveled. I spent a good bit of time over the winter and on rainy days scouting out roads I would feel comfortable riding. Ride with someone else that you trust - they can help show you lines and good practices while you're riding. Most important imo is to relax - if you're relaxed while you're riding, there's a better chance that you'll enjoy it. Good luck with it, and welcome to ninjette!

emt250
August 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
having cool looking gear. duh.

rockNroll
August 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
take a riders school at your local track

Xcellent idea! :whathesaid:

Strider
August 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Alex has some great stuff posted here :

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

Give these a look-see

almost40
August 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Trackday with a riders school

Purspeed
August 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Buy it.

Nexion
August 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Speaking of MSF, I just passed the course today. The only thing that got me was the u-turns in that box. I'm going to the DMV sometime this week to go for my license. Whoo!

Apex
August 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
California Superbike School.

Learn good things, then take them to a local track.

Sailariel
August 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Welcome Tom. What everybody suggested is great advice. All I can add is a quote by Eddy Merckx, super famous bicycle racer, "Ride Lots"