View Full Version : The 250 In Wind

Postiez
August 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
There has been some scattered talk about wind pushing around the 250 a lot. But how dangerous is it? I usually don't stop because of it until I can't stay in my lane but it always -feels- like the bike is gonna fly out from under me, especially when i hit a bump or over a small hill.

So, wind, danger or annoyance?

Flashmonkey
August 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
It's annoying alright...but I've never felt endangered by it, and I've had my fair share of burly crosswinds. The only danger is if you freak out and do something that you normally wouldn't do.

Fatigue is also an issue. If it's getting to the point where you're constantly fighting the wind, it might be a good idea to take frequent breaks. That gets real tiring real fast.

tlhamon
August 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
It scares me. A cross wind really throws me around. BUT, when the road is grooved parallel to the lanes THAT is even worse. That is what keeps me off of the freeway. I will say that I'm pretty light (120 lbs.) so a heavier rider may not feel it as much.

Alex
August 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Riding in Wind (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498)

Postiez
August 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Riding in Wind (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498)

/shame

whoops, srys, I'm still new ><

Alex
August 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM
No worries, Nick! :thumbup:

backinthesaddleagain
August 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM
keep a relaxed grip on the bars

Cedilla
August 13th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The wind can be annoying, but if you keep your arms loose(loosen your grip on your bars) the bike wont move nearly as much. The wind is affecting your body more than the bike its self, and all the inputs that your body is giving your bike, are amplifying anything the wind is doing to your bike.:thumbup:

ManyCavies
August 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Lets dance! :D

SteveL
August 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Any bike with a full faring is effected by a cross wind, much more than a naked bike the extra weight of a 600cc 20Kg or so makes no difference. If you are lucky enough to have a constant wind just lean the bike into it.

Steve

Snake
August 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
For me it's an annoyance but but it could be dangerous depending on your experience level. Everyone needs to know when to pull over and get off the road if the wind is stronger than you are able to deal with.

Apex
August 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Scary? Not for me. Normally it won't even blow me 1ft off course, even with substantial crosswinds.

For some reason I find it crazy easy to stay on line. I feel the wind on my upper body first, then I immediately countersteer, and I stay on line (except for the lean angle I create).

demp
August 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
*Shrugs* just lean =P

muffinman
August 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Scary? Not for me. Normally it won't even blow me 1ft off course, even with substantial crosswinds.

For some reason I find it crazy easy to stay on line. I feel the wind on my upper body first, then I immediately countersteer, and I stay on line (except for the lean angle I create).

+1

It's kinda unnerving at first but leaning a little bit here and there to balance out the crosswinds becomes second nature. You just instinctively do it :thumbup:

Postiez
August 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
The winds on my ride to school arent minor at all, it involves crossing the mouth of a canyon that for some reason blows insanely hard when the temp starts to warm up in the morning. I get into a deep lean trying to straight and i dont really have a problem with that. The problem is when it lets up... I shoot over enough that I can barely stay in my lane even though im riding the center line before ><

SpyderGirl
August 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
The wind can be annoying, but if you keep your arms loose(loosen your grip on your bars) the bike wont move nearly as much. The wind is affecting your body more than the bike its self, and all the inputs that your body is giving your bike, are amplifying anything the wind is doing to your bike.:thumbup:

This is so true.... as hard as it is to stay relaxed when the wind is tossing you around... I just crouch down, focus on riding and relaxing.... seems to work good. Don't like it when I am on the side streets and slowing down to make a turn... it gets really windy where I live.