View Full Version : Michael Vick

tinng321
August 14th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Your thoughts on the Eagles signing Michael Vick.....
I'm a firm believer on everyone deserves a 2nd chance, but what he did was very cruel though....

JaeL
August 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I don't care that he's back in the league I just wonder why the Eagles' front office decided they needed him......

Banzai
August 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I don't care that he's back in the league I just wonder why the Eagles' front office decided they needed him......

...no such thing as "Bad" publicity.

rockNroll
August 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM
The NFL should donate his first year's salary to the Humane Society :p

smcbride11
August 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
The NFL should donate his first year's salary to the Humane Society :p

One of the conditions of his probation is that he does charity work for the Humane Society and has had some speaking engagements talking against dogfighting.

After 20 months in prison, he's served his time. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be given a second chance to do his job.

bob706
August 14th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Vick = one dumb mf'er. Yay, I'm a multi-millionaire, what can I do to ruin that? I know, I'll bankroll a dog fighting / gambling operation across state lines. Weeeeeeeee....bankrupcy and prison are fun! Stupdity on an epic level deserves no second chance.
I hope Philly fans boycott the Eagles.

rockNroll
August 14th, 2009, 08:08 AM
After 20 months in prison, he's served his time. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be given a second chance to do his job.

He's done his time... as far as the law is concerned. He was in a position where many people, lots are kids, looked up to/ admired him.... his jail time doesn't cover this damage IMO.

talldrink
August 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I live in Philly; I can take or leave the Eagles. I am more of a Sixers fan.

HOWEVER; I agree with those who say that Vick has served his time; let the man move on. Besides, he'll pay greater repercussions than we'll ever know.

Additionally, I am more pissed about the fact that folks here are in an uproar over the Vick situation YET when the Phillies' pitcher Brett Myers beat his wife in public and dragged her down the street by her hair, and then was allowed to pitch a game the very NEXT afternoon, I didn't see the same kind of outrage. Makes me wonder why.

Myers shaved his hair, offered a tearful apology on tv and went on about his merry MLB way. He even was a hero in the Phillies' run to the become World Series champs.

It's not just Brett Myers either; PLENTY of other pro players have been caught on the wrong side of the law but have been given a pass (not that they SHOULD have been). Why not Vick? What's the difference?

Where is the equality??????

addy126
August 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I live in Philly; I can take or leave the Eagles. I am more of a Sixers fan.

Actually the question should be "where are the decent and upstanding players" in any professional sport. Far too many Low Life Thugs with the gang bang mentality are entering the sports venue and being entertained with large sums of money for skills that blossom out of thuggery rather than skills that blossom out of upstanding integrity and positive commitment to society. Gone are the days you can say "he is an upstanding guy/gal and we look up to him/her". Teams are merely doling out money to those that are less than the best and unfortunately the kids or adults for that matter are left with "criminals in professional sport" to look up to... thats a sad day I'd say:( The public needs to shove those high priced tickets up the a** of management/ownership and the underachieved players and walk it just to show how the mighty can fall quickly. No 2nd chance vote comes from me considering what should be expected of players in a professional sport who desire to take part in criminal offences. Those players need to be released and return to reality cleaning toilets the rest of their lives. Vick needs to clean what he truly is .... a floating piece of crapazoid. Sad thing is he'll still get minimum wage and that's still too much to offer for anyone like that.

Lars
August 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I think its important to realize just how extensive his punishment has been ...

I'm not only talking about the two years in prison, but the sheer amount of money he lost. His $100 million contract is now null and void, and has to pay back most of his $20+ million signing bonus.

I'm not sure "deserve" or "earn" are the right words to use, but I do hold the opinion he should get another shot at the NFL considering everything he's lost because of his stupidity.

bob706
August 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
It's not just Brett Myers either; PLENTY of other pro players have been caught on the wrong side of the law but have been given a pass (not that they SHOULD have been). Why not Vick? What's the difference?

What Vick did is insignificant to what some of these guys do, i.e., beating up 60yr old taxi drivers, wife beating, rape, murder, etc, but he killed a **** load of dogs and tried to lie about it. I think if he would have come clean from the beginning, he would have gotten a pass.

tinng321
August 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Since he served his time, I think he should be allowed to play again. I'm not a big fan of Vick, but I don't think banning him for life is fair.
If I own a NFL team would I sign him?
Definitely not, because not of what he did but because of his talent. To me he was never a good QB. He's more explosive with his feet than with his arms.

Alex
August 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM

I'm sure you realize that the NFL didn't do anything significant to Vick until after he was convicted, right? Most sports withhold judgement on criminal activity by their players until the court case concludes, though there are exceptions for things like steroids. Vick's a douchebag, was convicted of a number of serious crimes, and was punished appropriately by the league.

Complaining about equality when another douchebag wasn't immediately punished when they did something completely awful seems off-base to me. Of course Myers is a dumbass cretin, but until he is charged and convicted for whatever crimes are alleged, the league is never going to come down too hard on anybody.

nate-bama
August 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
so my dog could bite his sorry ass

ScraitT
August 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I personally think it is ridiculous that he is back in the NFL. And it's not just Vick, its a lot of players in the NFL and other sports as well.

A lot of kids look up to various sports players as role models. I personally think if you get arrested for any offense, then you should be out of the NFL. These guys make millions upon millions a year. It isn't a "right" to be in the NFL, it's a privilege...the players work there ass of to get there. Once in, they should be required to act decently or their position and salary will be given to someone more deserving. There's hundreds of great players out there they never get a chance to get into the NFL that are more deserving of the respect and money that Vick earns.

I'm not saying his punishment wasn't severe enough, I just don't think he should be let back into the NFL, ever.

smcbride11
August 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying his punishment wasn't severe enough, I just don't think he should be let back into the NFL, ever.

But in a way, you are. If his punishment was severe enough, then he should be able to continue in his chosen profession.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Michael Vick... But I think that he's served his time and deserves a second chance. He's no more or less a role model in my eyes than Gov. Sanford or Pres. Clinton, and they were both given a slap on the wrist for pretty egregious "role model" offenses.

Saying Vick should never play football again is like saying Martha Stewart should never be in business again, but no one's making that argument. The anti-Vick arguments all seem to be visceral reactions because people like dogs (not that there shouldn't be a visceral reaction, I'm just saying that there should be some separation if we're keeping the guy out of his chosen line of work forever).

istreefitty
August 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hey guys c'mon this really isn't fair. It is hard to be a sub par QB and play for a crappy team and lose every Sunday. Some times you just want to sit back in a chair made out of money and watch 2 dogs beat the **** out of eachother.

on a more serious (not really) not

so who do you think will be better real vick or madden vick??

ScraitT
August 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
But in a way, you are. If his punishment was severe enough, then he should be able to continue in his chosen profession.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Michael Vick... But I think that he's served his time and deserves a second chance. He's no more or less a role model in my eyes than Gov. Sanford or Pres. Clinton, and they were both given a slap on the wrist for pretty egregious "role model" offenses.

Saying Vick should never play football again is like saying Martha Stewart should never be in business again, but no one's making that argument. The anti-Vick arguments all seem to be visceral reactions because people like dogs (not that there shouldn't be a visceral reaction, I'm just saying that there should be some separation if we're keeping the guy out of his chosen line of work forever).

I feel the same about any person in a position of power like that. The NFL is a bit different though. The world isn't going to change if Vick (or others) never got to play again, where as things would change (even if for the better) if Clinton were kicked out.
As far as the punishment goes, for all I care, he could have JUST been kicked out of the NFL for punishment. I would have been perfectly satisfied with that. And he could always still play football, I just don't think he deserves to be in the NFL, he threw his chance away.

Also, while I do love dogs (I know that wasn't aimed toward me) I think this should apply to anyone who is arrested for a serious offence, be it dog fighting, beating a woman, or murder.

JaeL
August 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Madden Vick of course! I won't even participate in the "should he get a chance or not arguement", theres kno point.

Racer x
August 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I hope he gets hit so hard by another player they carry is punk ass off the field on two stretchers. Anyone that sponsors that P.O.S.will loose my business forever.