View Full Version : *YAWN* Early morning to work

Cali619
August 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Testing the PanaVise Cam mount on the freeway, so far has only been on 60mph and less. This mount sticks good but my camera is a bit sensitive and shakes abit. The bumpy crap highway didnt help but all in all this mount can handle it.

k60vrmWXA8g

Postiez
August 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
you just keep you high beam on like that?

also, you shift a lot earlier than me :p

cool video, i love night rides

Cali619
August 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM
you just keep you high beam on like that?

also, you shift a lot earlier than me :p

cool video, i love night rides

Yeah I just use my high beams when its overcast or dark but in the day I use one light. I only rev it higher when Im trying to beat traffic from a split lane or canyons , but highways I throw it in 6th as soon as I can cause its the only gear im gonna be using :) And also there is a lot less traffic in the early mornings and late nights and is a different ride for sure than in the day.

Cedilla
August 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
^Im the opposite I use High beams during the day, and switch to low beam at night. I would imagine that using the high beam at night in traffic could be dangerous. It is just hard as hell to see when somebody comes at you with high beams on at night. You can also get a ticket for it as well(i got pulled over for this right after I turned 16), I can understand wanting people to see you, but I think it may do more harm than good.

Postiez
August 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
^Im the opposite I use High beams during the day, and switch to low beam at night. I would imagine that using the high beam at night in traffic could be dangerous. It is just hard as hell to see when somebody comes at you with high beams on at night. You can also get a ticket for it as well(i got pulled over for this right after I turned 16), I can understand wanting people to see you, but I think it may do more harm than good.

This is what I do as well, highs during the day, lows at night, highs at night when there is no one else around.

Cali619
August 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
If Im high beaming I do my best to not shine right into someones rearview or head on with lane positions but most people here will move over if they get bothered by em if in front. Im usually on the farthest side away from oncoming traffic so dont blind so much.

kkim
August 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Isn't riding at night with your high beam on in traffic illegal?

Cali619
August 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Isn't riding at night with your high beam on in traffic illegal?

I honestly dont know... I guess Ill find out if a cop happens to pull me over. I know high beams on a car are extremely bright but I wouldnt compare the ones on the bike as blinding.

kkim
August 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
They are just as bright as 1/2 of the car's 2 light system. :) It's all about how they are pointed.

In the MSF course here, the instructor recommended riding w/ 2 headlights on. I asked if that pertained to night riding as well and he said that in Hawaii there are laws about highlight usage and he recommended after dark to use only the lowlight and use the highlight as one would in their car. It may be different in your area, but I doubt it.

Cali619
August 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Ill have to ask a LEO about it but I think they are pretty relaxed on it, like ape hangers are illegal but almost all thr harleys here have em and cops dont make a fuss. I have driven past a lot of cops with high beams at night and never been harrassed. I asked a cop about red lights that wont turn green if its ok to go anyways and he said only if you have been waiting a few cycles and its all clear.

kkim
August 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
yep, I would check w/ the local LEO and see what they say. If they are cool with it in your area, it's okay, I guess.... just hope you don't run up against some cop who didn't get his daily ration of doughnuts. :)

Cali619
August 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I wont lose any sleep over it, if something happens its meant to be. Theres actual criminals that they can look for instead of wasting time on a headlight I guess.

Cedilla
August 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
When I was pulled over for having high beams on in traffic, the LEO told me that it was illegal to use your high beams within 200 feet of any vehicle in front of you. This may only apply in Alabama though, but I would imagine other states would have similar rules.

Cali619
August 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM
found this info ;

According to (from dmv.ca.org)...

24409. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated during darkness, the driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to the following requirements and limitations:
(a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver.
The lowermost distribution of light specified in this article shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times regardless of road contour.
(b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 300 feet to the rear, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light specified in this article.
Amended Ch. 37, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

Dont call americas most wanted on me please....

kkim
August 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
do what you want... it's your ticket.

The main intent of my post was so that others would not think it was okay (legal) to run around at night with their highlight on in traffic.

Cali619
August 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
LMFAO!! others are going to do what they want regardless of the video or what anyone says on this forum. Ive read a lot of threads showing proof enough of that :) Besides, its not illegal to have them on at night , its illegal to have them on within a distance given so of course I can low beam just as easily as when in a car on a country road and see lights up ahead coming at me.

kkim
August 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
its illegal to have them on within a distance given so of course I can low beam just as easily as when in a car on a country road and see lights up ahead coming at me.

ah... maybe I misunderstood you then... so you do lower your highbeam to oncoming traffic?

Cali619
August 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
ah... maybe I misunderstood you then... so you do lower your highbeam to oncoming traffic?

Yup :) My third post on this thread

"If Im high beaming I do my best to not shine right into someones rearview or head on with lane positions but most people here will move over if they get bothered by em if in front. Im usually on the farthest side away from oncoming traffic so dont blind so much."

Low beams if Im reflecting on someones rearview or head on facials of light. My video was a freeway ride so I was using lane positions and felt I was not blinding anyone. I actually think the brights helped that sleepy driver in the video notice me. Im a good guy(dont tell the ladies that, I heard they like bad-boy types), do unto others rule of thumb in my book of life...

Im never offended by you KKIM your a good hearted fella and know you mean the best intentions :)

kkim
August 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
mmm... still doesn't sound to me like the best use of the highlight, but I know you'll do what you want until an officer makes you aware of the legal ramifications. :)

yes, never want to diss most as it's never really worth it, but I do like to help keep things clear when I can.

Cali619
August 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
To anyone reading this thread, please refrain from doing what I do in my video's they are intended for entertainment purposes not tutorials :P What I post on here is opinion only and should not be taken seriously cause I am a total noob.

That should help clarify things :)

kkim
August 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
lol... :D

revstriker
August 18th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Cool video. I think the music you picked worked very well with the video (who was that?). I also thought it was funny how Quagmire's head was bopping to the music too! :thumbup:

And I agree with others about not using high beams at night unless no one is in front of you or coming toward you. I do use them 100% during the day though.

Cali619
August 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Cool video. I think the music you picked worked very well with the video (who was that?). I also thought it was funny how Quagmire's head was bopping to the music too! :thumbup:

And I agree with others about not using high beams at night unless no one is in front of you or coming toward you. I do use them 100% during the day though.

LOL thanks I didnt think anyone else would notice the quagmire head grooving to the music(paul oakenfold)