View Full Version : Because my rider aesthetic is "incongruously cute nerdery".

lizardywizard
May 16th, 2016, 12:20 PM
https://65.media.tumblr.com/1d8aef8955aa92209bf3e30f1079ed29/tumblr_o7aao1XMXZ1u38tkxo3_1280.jpg

Got this made on Zazzle - it's just a door hanger. My area is full of kids who've apparently never seen a bike before and want to run up and touch her. Thought it'd be a nice, non-aggressive statement to keep kids and adults alike from messing with her.

The bike image is from Scramble Wars, which is basically like Wacky Races but for anime...

http://hastur2.tanuki.pl/anime/screens/92041.jpeg

But yeah, basically this is my aesthetic in life. I'm not cool, I'm just a big dork with a bike. :P

DEFY
May 16th, 2016, 12:33 PM
:thumbup:

RacinNinja
May 16th, 2016, 12:35 PM
My opinion...if you're there and kids around, go be by the bike. Answer questions, maybe even offer to let them sit on it under your supervision.

Get some new riders hooked.....just don't let their parents see it. ;)

NevadaWolf
May 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM
if I see a kid oogling my bike and the folks are around, I'll ask the adult if it's ok to let them sit on the bike. Some are Ok with it, others give me a ... look. I just shrug and wave at the kid.

If an adult is looking at it, I'll answer questions or thank them for saying "Hey nice bike." One dude was pointing out the Ninjette to his girlfriend saying there was a bike she could ride. I came out of the store at that point and after talking to her (cause, really, if she wants to ride then talk to the rider directly) got a feel she was really interested but thought she was too short for most bikes. I offered to have her sit on mine and she got to see that she could fit on a sportbike.

Not yet seen/caught anyone mucking with my bike while I'm away from it. Maybe living in the boondocks has it's perks. :)

Motofool
May 16th, 2016, 01:43 PM
..............Thought it'd be a nice, non-aggressive statement to keep kids and adults alike from messing with her..........

Both sides?
Wind-proof?

I hope you engage first gear for parking.
A bike cover would keep most creatures non-interested.

lizardywizard
May 17th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah, I always park in first.

But yeah, when I'm there myself I always go over. Partly to make sure nothing bad happens to either the kids or the bike, partly for encouragement. This is pretty much just for when I'm away.

Alas it's not double sided. But it's heavy and hangs so that the printed part is always facing out, so it'd always be readable.

A kid who lives across from me actually ran into the street the other day to get a look at her. I went over to his parents and said, hey, if he wants to come look at the bike any time I'm around, he's welcome to. Just as long as he doesn't run into traffic to do it!

toEleven
May 17th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I've always been partial to Kaneda's bike in Akira, and I frequently sing the theme to Speed Racer during boring parts of my ride that require relatively little concentration. So I appreciate the aesthetic. :thumbup:

lizardywizard
May 17th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I've always been partial to Kaneda's bike in Akira, and I frequently sing the theme to Speed Racer during boring parts of my ride that require relatively little concentration. So I appreciate the aesthetic. :thumbup:

Mucho high fives. :D

I confess that 80s/90s cyberpunk anime like Bubblegum Crisis and Armitage III were part of what first got me intrigued by bikes, back when I was younger. In Bubblegum Crisis in particular you can definitely tell that Kenichi Sonoda, the creator and designer, loved his bikes. There's a lot of attention to detail (and some realistically gory crashes).

fry1024
May 17th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Nice little sign and the BGC is a great watch, one of my first animes.

1wardogusmc
June 1st, 2016, 12:40 PM
Just get a super sensitive car alarm.
"Protected by Viper, stand back."