View Full Version : Exhaust header question??

BDfromBC
May 24th, 2016, 10:51 AM
:confused: :confused:
I'm curious the difference between paying for a full exhaust on the 300 w/tuner and putting just the canister on a de catted stock header?

Is this exactly the same result? Or do aftermarket headers actually have a wider diameter? Thank you for any input!!
I don't have my 300 yet I'm waiting for insurance to pay out for my stolen 250... I am interested in maximum output, but it needs to be bang for the buck also, so if I can save 2-300$ by buying only the slip on and decatting and welding it up myself I will do so. Thank you!

Im just planning ahead at the moment so I can do some budgeting :)

toEleven
May 24th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Quick measurements:
external diameter, stock header 29mm
external diameter, aftermarket header 31mm
Stock has a crossover, aftermarket doesnt. The routing is completely different. Should you expect exactly the same result? No. Will your plan produce more power than stock? Only a dyno will be sure.
My stock system wasn't weighed in pieces, so I don't know how it compares to the 281g (right) and 299g (left) of my aftermarket header pipes.

BDfromBC
May 24th, 2016, 11:17 PM
Quick measurements:
external diameter, stock header 29mm
external diameter, aftermarket header 31mm
Stock has a crossover, aftermarket doesnt. The routing is completely different. Should you expect exactly the same result? No. Will your plan produce more power than stock? Only a dyno will be sure.
My stock system wasn't weighed in pieces, so I don't know how it compares to the 281g (right) and 299g (left) of my aftermarket header pipes.

greatly appreciated! Pretty much all the info I needed!

TP Ninja
May 28th, 2016, 02:34 PM
The performance increase isn't worth the expense. If you want a different sound, get a can, such as from Yosh or Leo Vince.

cbinker
May 28th, 2016, 02:42 PM
The performance increase isn't worth the expense. If you want a different sound, get a can, such as from Yosh or Leo Vince.

that is all relative to each individual situation. he may have extra money to use.

right now, if i had the money it would be worth the extra power gained.

Hero Danny
May 28th, 2016, 03:27 PM
that is all relative to each individual situation. he may have extra money to use.

right now, if i had the money it would be worth the extra power gained.

Yup. Also even though you may only see 4-5 horsepower increase, that's a BIG difference on such a small machine.

BDfromBC
May 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM
The question is not rather or not it's worth it, though I do appreciate the chiming in.
I more wanted to see a different in numbers from some seasoned folk.

I also worded the question sort of wrong,
If all circumstances were the same: tuner, and can.... (Yoshimura slip on, a decat, and tuner vs yoshimura r77 SYSTEM with tuner) k&n filter & no snorkel on both.

Say I get a 10% increase in power from the mods.
If the decat and slip on is only 9% I would take that route, as the difference is nill... (1%)

cbinker
May 28th, 2016, 04:22 PM
here is a starting point to compare slip-ons to full systems.

http://www.twobros.com/sku/005-3890/exhaust/Kaw-Ninja300-TM-SO-14.html

TP Ninja
May 28th, 2016, 05:47 PM
I bet the hp increase is 2 at most. Look at the Revzilla website and the Leo Vince slip-on is actually down .5 hp from stock. Most slip-ons might give you 1 hp increase and maybe the Power Commander's good for one more but the 300 Ninja already runs great and doesn't need one. So $1800 for 2 hp? I'd trade in the beloved 300 Ninja for a Honda CB500F for that.