View Full Version : How to stop bugs going up the windscreen?

lizardywizard
June 12th, 2016, 04:20 PM
So the floating windscreen design on the 300 is very cute, but the gap between the screen and the rest of the bodywork tends to suction up bugs, which then get stuck in there. They particularly like to gather up by where the mirrors connect, which is an almost impossible space to get to with just about any cleaning tool (even a q-tip is too fat).

I could take it off to clean it, I guess, but given I don't want to do that every time, does anyone make some sort of seal or guard for the bottom of the windscreen that'll keep the bugs out?

snot
June 12th, 2016, 04:36 PM
So the floating windscreen design on the 300 is very cute, but the gap between the screen and the rest of the bodywork tends to suction up bugs, which then get stuck in there. They particularly like to gather up by where the mirrors connect, which is an almost impossible space to get to with just about any cleaning tool (even a q-tip is too fat).

I could take it off to clean it, I guess, but given I don't want to do that every time, does anyone make some sort of seal or guard for the bottom of the windscreen that'll keep the bugs out?

I take mine off and clean it when it is really bad. I use damp rags to get down as far as I can when I clean it on the bike.

Motofool
June 13th, 2016, 01:43 PM
So the floating windscreen design on the 300 is very cute, but the gap between the screen and the rest of the bodywork tends to suction up bugs, which then get stuck in there........

A picture would help, as well as changing the ride's time away from sunrises and sunsets when bugs are more active.

Brother Michigan
June 13th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I have actually never noticed this on my 300, even driving through literal clouds of gnats and mosquitoes.

snot
June 14th, 2016, 06:24 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=901&pictureid=12943

I think the OP is talking about how the bugs get between the screen and front faring. I have this issue and I get big bugs that splatter all the way up on the inside.

lizardywizard
June 14th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I think the OP is talking about how the bugs get between the screen and front faring. I have this issue and I get big bugs that splatter all the way up on the inside.

Classy decals! I love the way your bike looks :D

And yes, that's exactly it. It's the stock windscreen and there's a gap between it and the front fairing that lets stuff get stuck up there.

I guess I should just take off the mirrors and screen and clean under it, but I wondered if anyone had come up with some sort of seal for around the bottom of the screen that will fill up the gap between the screen and fairing.

Why is it like that anyway? It doesn't seem like a very convenient design, either for bugs or wind noise.

Kevin1956
June 14th, 2016, 10:04 PM
It's a very narrow gap, right? You could try a piece of auto door edge trim on the bottom edge of the windscreen to close the gap. It's available in many colors and in clear. It very flexible and just presses on. It's available from auto parts stores, automotive paint stores, and most any body shop.

lizardywizard
June 14th, 2016, 10:43 PM
It's a very narrow gap, right? You could try a piece of auto door edge trim on the bottom edge of the windscreen to close the gap. It's available in many colors and in clear. It very flexible and just presses on. It's available from auto parts stores, automotive paint stores, and most any body shop. 40822

Looks like about the solution I was looking for - thanks!

snot
June 15th, 2016, 02:35 AM
there is a product (bug slide) that helps the bugs slide off and easier to clean.

InvisiBill
June 15th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Why is it like that anyway? It doesn't seem like a very convenient design, either for bugs or wind noise.

It's specifically designed that way, to get airflow under/behind the windscreen. I thought it was something about helping the wind flow over the screen better, but my Google searches only turned up stuff about vents for rider comfort on cruisers. I'm sure someone knows the technicalities behind it. The older bikes didn't have this - it's something they've specifically added to newer bikes (as opposed to a flaw they missed fixing).

snot
June 15th, 2016, 03:58 PM
^ I heard the same thing

SLOWn60
June 15th, 2016, 04:16 PM
It's specifically designed that way, to get airflow under/behind the windscreen. I thought it was something about helping the wind flow over the screen better, but my Google searches only turned up stuff about vents for rider comfort on cruisers. I'm sure someone knows the technicalities behind it. The older bikes didn't have this - it's something they've specifically added to newer bikes (as opposed to a flaw they missed fixing).

Just because I don't know the facts; it won't stop me from having an opinion! :D

I guarantee its to stop buffeting behind the windscreen by eliminating a low pressure area. By venting, smoother, laminar airflow is created which would be perceived by the rider as a smoother ride experience.

snot
June 15th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I use an old t-shirt and soak it in soapy water and pull it through (gently), when I am in a hurry.

allanoue
June 17th, 2016, 12:38 PM
New floating windscreen design helps reduce turbulence and rider fatigue

from https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012/09/13/2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-preview/

Motofool
June 17th, 2016, 05:42 PM
........... Why is it like that anyway? It doesn't seem like a very convenient design, either for bugs or wind noise.

Letting some air flow next to the rear face of the windshield energizes that bubble of turbulence and low pressure created between the windshield and your upper body/head.

That extra velocity energy creates a higher throw of the flow at the top edge.
It is just a shame that bugs don't help or care about aerodynamics. :)

G7eSiIOQ02g

That principle has been used in airplanes as slots at the leading edges of wings, flaps, etc.

WH8kCTzy91A

JohnnyBravo
July 29th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Love them vids :thumbup:

cadd
July 29th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I took a peek behind my windscreen once and threw up in my mouth a little.
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/_cadd_/Moto/IMG_20160626_1%20Large_zpsqbpdyqaj.jpg

I actually found a perfect solution for this issue. This mod cost nothing and is the most effective way resolve the issue.

Solution: I just stopped looking behind the windscreen. As far as I know, it's really clean there. Not a single bug. But I'm not going to look and confirm that. Just have to take my word for it.

snot
July 30th, 2016, 10:28 AM
A little wax also helps with removal.
I keep mine fairly clean with just a wet towel and fishing it through. It only takes a few minutes to remove the screen and clean it.

3ии
August 3rd, 2016, 05:09 PM
if you are too lazy to take the windscreen off to properly clean your bike, plasti dip the inside of it and you never have to see the bugs again

Neanderthal
August 4th, 2016, 11:09 AM
... It only takes a few minutes to remove the screen and clean it.

Unfortunately - some dumbass either over-tightened, or Loc-Tited the top screw @ each mirror bracket on my screen and I can't remove them. I have all sorts of good-quality tools, including Easy-Outs, and the damn screw heads just strip out. The only thing that I can think of next to try is to carve a slot in the head with a dremel to try to use a flat blade screwdriver to remove them. :mad:

snot
August 4th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately - some dumbass either over-tightened, or Loc-Tited the top screw @ each mirror bracket on my screen and I can't remove them. I have all sorts of good-quality tools, including Easy-Outs, and the damn screw heads just strip out. The only thing that I can think of next to try is to carve a slot in the head with a dremel to try to use a flat blade screwdriver to remove them. :mad:

A little heat might help. I can take pics later of how I fish the towel.

Neanderthal
August 4th, 2016, 12:50 PM
A little heat might help. I can take pics later of how I fish the towel.

Yepper, I already tried holding a both a heat gun and a soldering iron on it to no avail. Tried an impact driver too, no dice.

JohnnyBravo
August 4th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Yikes... I hate working on stuff after a dumbass!

travellingtenor
September 21st, 2016, 07:28 AM
Just because I don't know the facts; it won't stop me from having an opinion! :D

I guarantee its to stop buffeting behind the windscreen by eliminating a low pressure area. By venting, smoother, laminar airflow is created which would be perceived by the rider as a smoother ride experience.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! That's exactly why there is a gap. Air will rush into a low pressure area and cause buffeting. Allowing air into the low pressure area evens out the pressure to neutral and provides a better airflow.