View Full Version : Took my bike to the dealer for carb sync.

ak_907_ak
August 18th, 2009, 06:09 PM
First time my bike went to the dealer. I've looked into it, but i think might be a better idea to let them do it hopefully. should have it back tomorrow. They said it was gonna be around 80 bucks.:(

kkim
August 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
holy crap... I'll do it for $70! :D just drop the bike off at my house.

seriously, for that amount, you could have purchased your own syncing tool and do it anytime you feel like it.

VeX
August 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I kind of slurged on those "sparkling water" bottles myself. Fittings and all it cost me about $12 to build my rig :p

For that much to sych the carbs I wonder what they charge for a labor intensive job like adjusting the valves? Yikes!

ak_907_ak
August 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
turned out to be 85 bucks, and now i get this wicked backfire when i start it up sometimes!:D

VeX
August 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM
If it started doing that now, wait until the temperature starts to drop up there in Alaska....

*KAAAAA BOOM!* every time you start it!

andrewexd
August 20th, 2009, 01:03 AM
If it started doing that now, wait until the temperature starts to drop up there in Alaska....

*KAAAAA BOOM!* every time you start it!

is that normal ? that happened to me once, I clicked to ingnition button and this loud pop came from the exhaust but everything was fine after that...

Alex
August 20th, 2009, 05:14 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/My_Bike_Backfires

beowuff
August 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Must be something with the new gen bikes? I've never heard of this with the pre-gen, and neither my 07 nor my wife's has never done it...

Alex
August 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
I haven't had it happen once yet either on our pre-gen or our new-gen, but I'm ready for it if/when it does. :)

Racer x
August 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
My bike did it a couple times . has not done it lately . It is when you hit the starter . BANG like a gun shot.

VeX
August 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
It's because the new-gens are jetted a little lean from the factory. That's why if you choke the bike you lessen the chance of an "after"fire. After I last adjusted my idle mixture screws a little rich, I haven't had the problem since. That and taking the catalytic converter (by putting an aftermarket header on) can promote this.

MtnCruiser
August 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM
My 04 did it the other day. It had been sitting for a couple of weeks and was being a little uncooperative about cranking. I jumped but I think my dog almost had a heart attack.

sombo
August 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM
You think that's bad. Just checked at a dealership on how much an oil change would cost and it was $80. :eek:

The reason I was checking that is because when I went to change my oil on the bike this past weekend, I had a screw in the lower fairing that decided it would rather have a stripped head then come out. :mad:

So since nothing I could do would budge it before the head stripped, I have no choice but to take it to the shop to get the screw drilled out and a new one put in. Even with me bringing in my own oil and filter that I had already bought they want $120 to deal with the screw and the oil change. :wtfsign:

I'm gonna check around to see if I can find a better deal. I have to be able to find a better deal. I mean come on, that place wanted $80 per hour of work on a bike no matter what it is.

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 08:07 PM
why not just spend that money on a drill and some drill bits and do the work yourself... you'll end up with a drill and drill bits instead of just a bill. :D

sombo
August 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Because there's another bolt in the exhaust manifold that should also be drilled out and replaced and I'd rather a professional hand deal with that one. It broke off while being hand tightened the first time we changed the oil. I didn't do it, but I watched as he was just still lightly hand tightening and it just went snap. Shocked all of us that it would do it before it even got tight. So since I'd still have to go to them for the bloody screw and for that blasted bolt, I might as well let someone who knows better what they're doing to deal with it. Yes, I'm somewhat lazy and don't like taking chances with things I'm not that skilled at.

I've gotten stripped screws out of things before, but you wouldn't want to see the end result. Of course we were trying to destroy the pieces of equipment I was working on, so that makes a difference lol.