View Full Version : Prepping For First Trackday

krbreton
August 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hey All-

So I'm getting ready to take my little ninjette out to the track. I'm heading up to Thunderhill on Sept 29th, in a full open track day, with a buddy who races AFM (He's providing the trailer, instruction, and tools, so all I have to do is prep the bike :) ). I have run this track many times in a car, so I have an idea where all of the corners are, but I have some newbie questions about prepping the bike.

First, some info about the bike:
1997 Ninja 250 w/ ~18K miles on it. Oil and filter will be freshly changed before the day. I am removing the centerstand right before the day, but leaving the side-stand (I don't have trackstands). Lights will be taped, fuses pulled, and mirrors removed (I'm taking them off at the adjustment bolt.) The shifter has been switched to GP shifting for about 200 miles, so I'm getting used to that. By the time I go, I am hoping to put another 1K on the bike with the new configuration.
Brakes - EBC Sintered Front Pads, EBC Organic Rear pads. (replaced about 1K ago)
Tires - Pirelli Sport Demons, replaced about 1K miles ago
Front Suspension - .75kg/mm springs (I weigh 200 + gear) and 15W fork oil set to about 115mm
Rear Suspension - Ninja ZX600 Shock with 250mL of 7.5W RSF and about 10PSI.
Chain - replacing today with a takeoff from a friend - DID 520ERV3 that ran about two trackdays on a ZX6. - Looks in perfect condition.
Gear - Leather Jacket and Pants that zip together, Back Protector, moto boots, gloves, helmet

Questions:
1) Any prep items I may have forgotten?
2) Should I be running better than standard brake fluid? My brake lines are older but look in good condition, I assume there shouldn't be any problems?
3) Tire pressures. I know this is the unanswerable question but I don't want to worry about them since it's my first time. I just want to set it and forget it. I run 31/34 on the street and that seems to work well for me (maybe a little high on the back?). I am thinking 30/31 on the track. Any thoughts? Anyone who has run these tires before at the track? Would appreciate any help you can offer here.
4) I will definitely get pictures from the track photographer, but they are also offering to rent a web-res video camera for $60/day. Worth it or waste? I really like looking at lines later on my car-mounted cam but I'm thinking for the first day it's probably not worth it.

Thanks in advance.

-Kyle

almost40
August 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Pull the turn signals so if you lay it down you dont have to buy new ones.

Quiks66
August 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
#1 Rule for your first trackday on a bike = Ride your own Ride.

Most people get caught up in the idea of chasing faster riders (which there will be) and push things beyond their skill level. At the very least you'll end up running off the track, but it only gets worse from there. Your Ninja is a capable machine but you will need a good deal of seat time to be able to hang with the faster guys.

As for your brake lines, they should be alright for your first track day. I'd upgrade to a SS line (Galfer or otherwise) and go for some good brake fluid as well if you plan on doing a lot of track riding.

Work on taking good lines and having good body positioning before even thinking about braking late and gassing it earlier. Have fun and post up some pics when you get back!

CC Cowboy
August 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Be smooth. The smoother you are to more fun you will have (and the faster you will be). Get into a rhythm and go with the flow of the track. Try to improve with small increments. Stay focused ( riding the track takes an extreme amount of concentration), if you get tired stop and rest.

andrewexd
August 31st, 2009, 02:37 PM
can someone tell me what kind of health insurance is required ? Is it just medical from your bike insurance ?

Alex
August 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Most providers require individual health coverage. The medical portion on someone's bike insurance usually doesn't apply. Medical coverage sold along with bike/car insurance varies by state, so you'd definitely need to check with your agent about exactly what situations it covers, and you can certainly call up the trackday providers and ask them the same questions about what they are looking for.

andrewexd
August 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM
ok, thanks. Probably won't qualify then, I don't have separate health insurance, i only have liability on the bike atm but im definitely getting more coverage before school starts.