View Full Version : HELP! Bike will start but once put in gear dies

TreyE
August 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Well I was riding today and JUST changed my oil again today after I had to oil people mess it up. What I noticed was that the washer that is supposed to go on top of the spring is not there, but figured since it ran fine it shouldnt be a problem.

I was riding down the interstate and all of the sudden my bike started sputtering and I was like ohhh crap i didnt check the gas. Well it died immediately and i pulled over to the side. I checked the gas which was kind of low but not low enough to cut the engine off. So i switched to reserve, it started, revved up fine engine sounds fine. I put it in first gear, and AS SOON as i even MOVED the clutch towards in gear it dies automatically. Like as soon as I put it towards getting in gear it dies no matter what. So is there something in my gas line? Whats going on? Please help
Trey

nate-bama
August 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
sounds like your kickstand was down or you have a loose connection in the swich

TreyE
August 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
sounds like your kickstand was down or you have a loose connection in the swich

Yea. I just paid $150 to have it towed 10 miles because the friggin switch was stuck!!! lol just my luck. I wanna kick myself in the butt now. :o:o:o

nate-bama
August 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Yea. I just paid $150 to have it towed 10 miles because the friggin switch was stuck!!! lol just my luck. I wanna kick myself in the butt now. :o:o:o

sorry to hear that.... better luck next time

Grn99Kawi
August 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
next time (hope that wont happen again of course) you can just unplug the harness from the sidestand switch.

It might not super easy to get to, but it beats a tow.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3f/d9/3783_12.JPG

g21-30
August 20th, 2009, 03:26 PM
next time (hope that wont happen again of course) you can just unplug the harness from the sidestand switch.

It might not super easy to get to, but it beats a tow.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3f/d9/3783_12.JPG

Might want to check a service manual to verify unplugging will work. On the '08+, disconnecting is just like putting the sidestand down! :eek: Ask me how I know. You have to unplug and jump the 2 wires together, which lead to the upper part of the engine...not the sidestand wires.

Wes
September 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Unplugging will indeed not work. You have to unplug it and then plug the two halves of the harness into each other to complete the circuit.

Wes