View Full Version : I have a nomination for the 'stupid question' award of the day...

Grn99Kawi
August 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Around here it has been mad hot out.. and humid.. I'm still riding and I had a course to teach this week.. and of course I am still in my gear in the heat.. this question was asked of me once yesterday and then again this morning as I was getting ready to leave Dunkin Donuts... (coffee cup holder FTMFW).

I'm strapping up the helmet and an gentleman asks "Isn't it hot in that?" I wanted to say "Hell no.. I have central air in this bad boy!" but I didnt want to be a d1ck.. so I said "better to sweat than bleed.. gotta be safe"

It just seems like a stupid a$$ question to ask someone geared up for the ride.. yeah maybe we are hot, but there is an obvious reason for it. If I was sitting in a car with a fur coat and hat on.. yeah that's teh time to ask that question....

talk amongst yourselves...

kkim
August 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
just tell him it's mandatory for all ninjette forum members. :)

demp
August 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah I get that question often too... it does get quite annoying

ScraitT
August 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM
I get stuff like that a lot when I go through the drive though at the bank.
Oddly enough I like it hot, the hotter it is out the better, so it doesn't bother me at all. Of course none of my friends will ride, but that's their problem.

Snake
August 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
I get that as well and I tell them I would rather be hot than get road rash.

Sailariel
August 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
I tell them that leather wears better than skin.

Locksmiff
August 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I got asked the other day what happens when it rains. I replied "I get wet"

AnarchoMoltov
August 22nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
People who dont ride dont even think about the consequences of going down.
Plus they see all the squids in shorts and tee shirts, and the harley riders who seem to be invincible..I went by my moms the other day, and she asked me why I was wearing a leather jacket when its so hot out....I explanied to her how flesh seems to peel from the bone when it meets with blacktop, and she caught on real quick...

Postiez
August 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
While wearing full gear, walking into a Denny's someone said to me "You must be a motorcyclist" to which I replied "You must be a genius"

noche_caliente
August 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Nick - I walked into a local shop to get an estimate for something when I had first gotten her last year, carrying my helmet and in full gear.... dude proceeds to ask me if I have my bike with me... :eek: I replied, "No, I just like to dress up like a Power Ranger for the hell of it!" Needless to say, I haven't gotten any work done there!

ARF07
August 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
haha yea I've had that happen a couple times where someone is like "Do you have a bike?" when I'm carrying my helmet and wearing my gear. I don't mind that retarded question. It's better than "Don't you want a bigger bike?"

Grn99Kawi
August 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
I got asked the other day what happens when it rains. I replied "I get wet"

Classic!

ninjabrewer
August 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Nick - I walked into a local shop to get an estimate for something when I had first gotten her last year, carrying my helmet and in full gear.... dude proceeds to ask me if I have my bike with me... :eek: I replied, "No, I just like to dress up like a Power Ranger for the hell of it!" Needless to say, I haven't gotten any work done there!

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Racer x
August 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I don't have a car and I where full leather in 95 deg heat . It is vented and not that bad .Ya it is hot BUT . I work on cars for a living and I pulled one into the shop with the window closed . It was a black BMW with black interior . The outside temp was 95 deg . I put a thermometer on the dash . It stopped at 148 deg F. It never gets that hot inside my leather . And you could cook an egg on anything metal inside the car.

beowuff
August 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Part of the problem is that many people associate riding a motorcycle with instant death. So, why be hot if your going to ride anyway?

I'm actually surprised I don't get these stupid questions more often. But, there are a ton of riders around here, so maybe most people have all ready caught on...

adouglas
August 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Not a heat story, but stupid questions nonetheless.

My purchase of a bike happens to have coincided with one of my knees giving out. Not sure what it is... probably damaged cartilage. I'm in the middle of doctor visits, MRIs and the like, and am taking heroic amounts of anti-inflammatories.

Most days it's so bad I also have to use a cane. I look like Dr. House (only shorter).

So I ride to work and am gimping around on the cane in my gear. People invariably ask,

"You're riding a motorcycle with a bad knee??"

My answer:

"Well, it's not as if I'm PEDALING the thing....."

noche_caliente
August 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Andrew - mine has a handicapped plate! I love the looks that earns me. Heck, I rode to my orthopedic surgeon last week when I got my orthoflex injection (same needle/procedure) as draining the knee, only they put stuff in... it was kind of humorous given the reason for my visit :)

g21-30
August 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Most days it's so bad I also have to use a cane. I look like Dr. House (only shorter).

Andrew, it's off topic, but did your Dr or anyone else, tell you the correct way to use the cane? It's a serious question. I ask because I see a lot of people trying to walk with a cane, i.e. like Dr. House and that is all wrong.

Example of the correct way: If your LEFT knee is the problem, then you put the cane in your RIGHT hand. This is so you have 2 points of support, thus allowing the left leg to only support half your body weight when walking. If it is your RIGHT knee, then put the cane in your LEFT hand!

Good luck with the diagnosis.

Strider
August 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I get the "gear" question all the time. I'm not a small fella, and gear on me makes me look even bigger than I am...

I was out riding today and pulled up beside 2 guys on 600 bikes. They weren't wearing more gear than helmets.
One asked me : " Aren't you hot in all that crap? You think your on a track or something?"
I just gave him a thumbs up and when the light changed, went my merry way.
No explanation needed IMO
I'd rather be hot than have road rash, besides, when the bike is rolling, I'm plenty cool enough :)

Sailariel
August 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Around here it has been mad hot out.. and humid.. I'm still riding and I had a course to teach this week.. and of course I am still in my gear in the heat.. this question was asked of me once yesterday and then again this morning as I was getting ready to leave Dunkin Donuts... (coffee cup holder FTMFW).

I'm strapping up the helmet and an gentleman asks "Isn't it hot in that?" I wanted to say "Hell no.. I have central air in this bad boy!" but I didnt want to be a d1ck.. so I said "better to sweat than bleed.. gotta be safe"

It just seems like a stupid a$$ question to ask someone geared up for the ride.. yeah maybe we are hot, but there is an obvious reason for it. If I was sitting in a car with a fur coat and hat on.. yeah that's teh time to ask that question....

talk amongst yourselves...

What a great answer! You also might add that leather/armoured fabric wears better than skin.

adouglas
August 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Andrew, it's off topic, but did your Dr or anyone else, tell you the correct way to use the cane? It's a serious question. I ask because I see a lot of people trying to walk with a cane, i.e. like Dr. House and that is all wrong.

Example of the correct way: If your LEFT knee is the problem, then you put the cane in your RIGHT hand. This is so you have 2 points of support, thus allowing the left leg to only support half your body weight when walking. If it is your RIGHT knee, then put the cane in your LEFT hand!

Good luck with the diagnosis.

Here's all I know:

Putting it in the same hand as the bad knee gives me relief and allows me to walk. Doing it the other way does not.

When the pain is bad I can't put any significant weight on that leg at all, never mind half my body weight.

It may be "wrong" but it's the only thing that works for me.

Today is a good day. Didn't need it.

g21-30
August 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Andrew, I understand that you have to do what gives you the least amount of pain! Get well soon. :)

capt_bugaloo
August 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Part of the problem is that many people associate riding a motorcycle with instant death.
Never mind being asked questions about your gear, what I hate is someone giving me a lecture on how dangerous motorcycles are.

I was waiting at a crosswalk, wearing my moto jacket and carrying my helmet in my hand, when an elderly lady asked me, "Are you a motorcyclist?"

When I admitted I was, she immediately launched into a lecture on how risky they are, and that one of the older gents in her apartment building was hit by a car recently while he was riding a Gold Wing, and how he was in a coma, and on and on....

I just nodded and said, "You have a nice afternoon," as the light went green and I walked away.

She then called out after me, "Oh, well, have fun on your motorbike!" :confused:

DarkNinja52
August 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
just yell "its morphing time!" and run out the door

adouglas
August 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Some years back I had a Roadcrafter suit in red with gray/silver accents, to which I'd also sewed fluorescent yellow strips from a runner's vest. The full-on Power Ranger look.

Walking from the town garage to my office in the morning I got my share of comments and it did feel a little silly walking around looking like that.

Then one day I passed a guy wearing full urban "fashion." A zip-up hoodie way down around his shoulders, flat-billed baseball cap three sizes too large set at the strangest angle possible without falling off the head, baggy pants halfway down his butt with the crotch down between his knees, and sneakers that were not only untied, but aggressively untied.

And I thought, "Y'know, I don't look so silly after all."

sugarbear
August 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I stopped at a store over the weekend wearing my Rally Pro II riding suit. The older guy behind the counter asked me if I was a "racer". I smiled sweetly and replied "Only in my mind". Then I politely explained that I was riding a motorcycle and how important it is to wear the proper gear.

BlueRaven
August 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Not a heat story, but stupid questions nonetheless.

My purchase of a bike happens to have coincided with one of my knees giving out. Not sure what it is... probably damaged cartilage. I'm in the middle of doctor visits, MRIs and the like, and am taking heroic amounts of anti-inflammatories.

So I ride to work and am gimping around on the cane in my gear. People invariably ask,

"You're riding a motorcycle with a bad knee??"

My answer:

"Well, it's not as if I'm PEDALING the thing....."

or you could just say that your a really big Dr. House fan...he has a cane and ride a motorcycle too.

BlueRaven
August 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I just tell ppl that i consented to a contract in my forum to wear all my gear for the first year of riding my 250 regardless of the weather.

ninjabrewer
August 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Here's all I know:

Putting it in the same hand as the bad knee gives me relief and allows me to walk. Doing it the other way does not.

When the pain is bad I can't put any significant weight on that leg at all, never mind half my body weight.

It may be "wrong" but it's the only thing that works for me.

Today is a good day. Didn't need it.

if it works, then it can't be wrong. :thumbup:

nb

Yeah, I know, I can be a smart a**, sometimes :rolleyes:

camaroz1985
August 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I was riding with 2 friends all of us on Green Kawis. When we stopped to grab a drink, a guy on a Hayabusa pulls in and asks if we are factory riders. Why yes we are. :D

beowuff
August 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Quote from Ghostbusters:

"If someone asks if your a factory rider, you say YES!"

Or, something like that :D

Snake
August 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I just tell ppl that i consented to a contract in my forum to wear all my gear for the first year of riding my 250 regardless of the weather.

BR, hopefuly that will be the case even after the one year period is over. I would like to see you stay safe for a very long time.

CRXTrek
August 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
"Do you know how fast you were going?" ;)

Jerry
August 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
"Actually, it helps keep the heat out..."

Works best when temps are over 100.

or:

"yeah, but it's worth it..."

DarkNinja52
August 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM
"its kinda hot but my mom doesnt let me leave my room without a helmet"

sofo
August 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Q: "Wow, aren't you hot with all that... stuff on?"
A: "A little, but you can't be too careful with H1N1 around."

But seriously, the "woah..." look I get walking into my current "cubicle farm" office in the morning is pretty cool, probably how Boba Fett feels walking into a Wal-Mart on Dantooine.

DarkNinja52
August 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I wish i were Boba Fett, mofo's got a jet pack.

noche_caliente
August 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
the looks I got at work this morning were priceless! I just smiled and kept going :D