View Full Version : 250r at the quarter mile.

MrTiddles
August 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hey guys, I took the little guy up to the track tonight to have some fun. Here's the outcome.

I weight ~230lbs.

Bike is an 08 250r, Area P standard exhaust, Stage 2 jet-kit. Stock tires, stock everything.

First run out of the gate was a 17.39 @ 75.68mph, but after screwing around and getting my bearings on how to launch, it laid down a 16.7 @ 77.96mph.

I don't have my scanner running yet, but here's the stats.

Reaction - .3362
60' - 2.45
330' - 6.78
1/8 ET - 10.52
1/8 mph - 65.01
1/4 ET - 16.7060
1/4 mph - 77.96

The annoying thing is that one of my buddies weighs about 150lbs and laid down a 15.4 @ 81mph. Back to the bicycle to lose some weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTvNPAYPI0

When the video is done processing, that's my 2nd run.

Anyway, over all put the bike through about 9 runs, never heard the fans run after shutting her down before hehe. It was a good night. Lots of fun.

My buddy on the black GSXR in that video put down an 11.1, bone stock + a sprocket.

And finally: massive ROFL @ the exhaust on the 250r. Insanely loud ALL the way down the track.

Racer x
August 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Congrats on getting your bike on the track .
I use the 1/4 mile to tune my bike for the mile.(I race at Maxtons Monster mile).Everytime I have gone to the drag strip I have a very good time. The people are receptive to a slow bike and seem to enjoy watching it go.

I have gotten a 15.1 as my best time and a .6 reaction time. I will go back after Septembers Maxton Meet. I am determined to run a 14.99. But Like you said . Back to the bicycle for that . That and Sub way for lunch.

Grn99Kawi
August 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
wow. 16s.. better pack a lunch for that run.. j/k.. that is honda civic territory but still quicker than many econoboxes out there.. 15s are decent for this bike given the power and weight... low 14s would really transform it into the perfect all around bike though.. . which is why I wish it had just a 'bit' more power.. something to bridge the gap a bit more between it and the 650R.

MrTiddles
August 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah my best reaction time for the night was a .07, but most of mine were .3 to .4

kkim
August 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Almost40 runs at the track- I think I remember him in the low 14's?

MrTiddles
August 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Way to rub it in guys. I know I'm fat. Back off.

:-P

I WAS 250lbs at the beginning of the summer, down to about 230 now. Need to keep going.

Grn99Kawi
August 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
20#? That's awesome! Congrats and keep it up!

kkim
August 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
IIRC, almost40 is no tinkerbell... but I could be wrong. :)

nate-bama
August 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
cool video.. looked fun

Racer x
August 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I am probably 225lb with gear on .I need to lose 20 pounds.

almost40
August 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
I ran low to mid 14's depending on weather conditions. Im a little lighter than you guys. Well alot lighter. lol nearly 90 lbs. What rear sprocket you running?? I ran a 41T at the strip. I would guess with your weight you guys should be running a 43T or even a 44T. I wouldnt call myself a tinkerbell KKim. But if I did Id call my self that it would be Tinkerbell armed with a FAL .308

I perfer an overgrown jockey. lol

Launch is KEY to laying down a good 1/4 mile time. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. After the novelty of running the whole quarte mile wore off I spent alot of time looking at my 60 foot times and reaction times. My best launch involved 10,500-11,000 with a little slippage in the clutch trying to keep the motor above 9,500 rpm.

Racer x
August 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I started trying to launch when the last yellow went out . That got a 1.5 reaction time. Then I tried launching when the last yellow came on .That got it down to .75 . I then tried launching when the next to last yellow went out . That got me about .6 . I figure I am slow and the front fork needs to be strapped down
I also found shifting around 11 or 12 thousand RPM was better than going to the limiter.

I run a 15/45 at the drag strip.

Grn99Kawi
August 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
you guys know that reaction time has no affect on ET, right? You can sit at the green light for 10 minutes... the ET doesnt start until you move.

Just in case you didnt know..

MrTiddles
August 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I was launching at a MUCH lower rpm, and using stock sprocket. That was probably part of the deal, the guy who rode my bike and laid down the 15.4 was 80lbs lighter and was launching it at closer to 10k. Next time I'll give that a shot.

VeX
August 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Those are respectable reaction times. It all comes down to shifting most likely (and most importantly weight) :) People seem to get mad at me when I suggest people 250+ lbs to get a bigger bike, but when you're adding 1+ seconds to a quarter mile time from your weight alone? Torque is lacking!

Racer x
August 23rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
I know about the reaction time but I want to try to see how low I could get it .

Just to clarify it . The reaction time is how long it takes between the time the light goes out till you start to move.

The Elapse time (ET) is the time that between you starting to move (Which turns out the staging light on the front wheel) and the time you cross the finish line.

almost40
August 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
I was shifting at 12,500 rpm or there abouts. I found that the stock gears to be to short and that as I changed sprockets my times dropped. The biggest drop was when I swapped the stocker to the 43T the longer down the track you can hold 3rd gear the better. Good luck and have fun and if you enjoy drag racing dont ever do a track day on your 250 I havent taken it back to the dragstrip since I started track riding. Hell I havent been to the dragstrip since my first trackday and I can hear the Monte crying tears of sorrow.

MrTiddles
August 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Haha, yeah unfortunately the closest track is Hallett, which is a good 2.5 hours from me. The drag strip is 15 minutes. I'd love to do a trackday but I don't think I'll get to before getting a bigger bike.

almost40
August 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
another thing that will help lower your times is switching to the bigger jet (100 dynojet) if you are running that kit and put in the 98 there is a little more horsepower to be squeezed out of the motor with the 100 main.

VeX
August 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Aye, reaction times don't mean crap on a test and tune session, but that's one of the reasons for DOING test and tune sessions (so once you start racing in a class where your time = Reaction time + ET you have an advantage). Especially when you're bracket racing and getting as close as possible to your dial-in the reaction time is everything.

Racer x
August 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
I only use the drag strip for tuning for the mile .but I think I will go with the 43 tooth rear gearnext time. Less shifting will be better.My dial in is 15.01 . and I try to get my reaction time as low as possible . That way if I over run my bracket I will get the 14.99 I am looking for . Or I am a hero for dialing in so close. Either way I win and have a ton of fun . Last time I got through second round of eliminations and that felt very good . Then the rain ended the day.