View Full Version : comfortable speeds....

im_a_ninja
August 24th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I finally have a few miles on my new bike....only 160 or so. But, I've gotten pretty comfortable with it.

When I'm out cruising around town I'm running around 55-60 most of the time due to speed limits, etc. I just feel like I'm killing this thing with RPMs. By that I mean, it feels like I'm in my car going 65 in 3rd gear. I know they are geared low but I just feel like it's going to blow up...(not literally)

It feels like (purely from an amateur standpoint) 4, 5 and 6th gears are about the same. I change through the gears pretty quickly and then feel like there should be more. : )
The fastest I've gone so far is 75 and I really don't know if it would go much faster. I know, logically, I've seen youtube videos where they can do the 105 max speed but I don't feel like mine would do it.

I guess what I'm getting at is...does your bike stay around 6500 rpms while you're riding in 6th gear? I know it's probably normal but it just doesn't seem like it to me.

kkim
August 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_kind_of_performance_can_I_expect_from_a_Ninja_250%3F

Jerry
August 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Really, there's not much power anywhere on this bike, but what power there is arrives around 8000 rpm. Definitely takes some getting used to...earplugs help.

She can take it, rev 'er up!!

im_a_ninja
August 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_kind_of_performance_can_I_expect_from_a_Ninja_250%3F

awesome!
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to kill my pretty little bike ;)

so peak HP is at 12,500...whoa, that seems so high.
Ok, so I guess I haven't even experienced the peak performance of the mini ninja.

kkim
August 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
rev it up!! the closer you get to redline, the bigger your smile gets! :D

Cedilla
August 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Lol I cruise down the road at 11k for hours at a time and the bike takes it in stride, you will be fine.:):thumbup:

revstriker
August 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I drive mostly between 60-70 when I commute to work. With my Yoshi slip on, it is pretty loud! I normally have my ipod with me and I use ear bud type headphones. They are like ear plugs. They block out the wind noise, make the bike not so loud, and allow me to listen to music or a podcast without cranking the volume all the way up. My old headphones were the kind that clip over the ear. I had to have the volume on the ipod almost all the way up in order to hear the music over the engine at 8-10k rpms. Anyway, I would highly recommend either ear plugs, or the ear bud type headphones with an MP3 player.

Sailariel
August 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Shannon, Don`t try to compare your Ninjette to a cage--they are not even Kissin` Couisins. The Ninjette likes to run between (9000 rpm and 11000 RPM) That was designed into the machine by the engineers at Kawasaki. Took me a while to get used to that. My Norton 750 strained at 6000RPM. This is a new era. The Ninjette likes her revs. I rarely get out of fourth gear in town--actually I am in third most of the time since the speed limit is 35.

rockNroll
August 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I guess what I'm getting at is...does your bike stay around 6500 rpms while you're riding in 6th gear? I know it's probably normal but it just doesn't seem like it to me.

I did 350 miles sat/sun and a great deal of it was 10,000 rpm and above.

Sailariel
August 24th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I did 350 miles sat/sun and a great deal of it was 10,000 rpm and above.

Rock, You are doing it right--let her rev.

adouglas
August 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Tune in to a Formula 1 race and listen to what 19,000 rpm sounds like. It's hypnotic.

The engine is built for high revs. Wind it out and enjoy it!

addy126
August 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
:thumbup:I did sustained freeway (Hwy 20, 30, 635, 121 Dallas/Ft Worth/Granbury) on a group ride of 280 miles Sunday of 80/85 and more power if I needed it. Plus twisties and hill country it performed well. Let er rip you won't be disappointed and tho it sound like it .. it won't blow up.

Postiez
August 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Nothing is better than downshifting into the powerband =)

komohana
August 24th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Nothing is better than downshifting into the powerband =)

:leghump:

i second that! :D

i like the throttle blip down shift speed-rev match up too

Talonne
August 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Somewhat of a side question... but I have about the same mileage as you (270kms) and was wondering what break-in method you are using. A biker here at work told me to keep the revs varied as much as possible, and not to run it at high rpms for a sustained period of time. I'm kind of afraid to take it on the highway for a longer trip. How have you been breaking yours in?

cifex
August 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Jessica - Check the Wiki under Break-in
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Break-in

Personally, I stayed under 5000 RPM for the first 100 miles. Then I let it get up to 6-7K for the next hundred. Changed the oil and filter at 200. Then let it up to 8-9K and changed the oil only at 350mi. Rode normally but didn't redline it until after the 600 miles service. Now she lives at 11K. 4500miles in. Just did an 800 mile weekend at 9K. Get earplugs.

Talonne
August 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I've read the wiki... I'm just confused as to what I should be doing. One of the links says "You can ride your bike now like it's broken in, except I recommend you try to avoid lugging the engine or running at a constant speed on the freeway for long times until after your next oil change." This is the same thing my coworker told me, so I was curious as to what break-in method the OP was using since she is hitting higher speeds already. I'm not sure if that would include holding a constant high speed on freeways though.

What would be considered a "long time", anyway? I guess I need some guidelines. I've only done a really short spurt of 100 km/h (maybe 5 minutes of it) because I wasn't sure if I should go any longer.

sofo
August 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I've read the wiki... I'm just confused as to what I should be doing. One of the links says "You can ride your bike now like it's broken in, except I recommend you try to avoid lugging the engine or running at a constant speed on the freeway for long times until after your next oil change." This is the same thing my coworker told me, so I was curious as to what break-in method the OP was using since she is hitting higher speeds already. I'm not sure if that would include holding a constant high speed on freeways though.

What would be considered a "long time", anyway? I guess I need some guidelines. I've only done a really short spurt of 100 km/h (maybe 5 minutes of it) because I wasn't sure if I should go any longer.

A long time would be hours at the same RPM, picture riding 1/2 way across Montana at the same engine speed.

The lugging part is valid too, there will of course be times you dip down a little or find yourself a gear or two too low and pull from a low RPM, but don't short-shift so you are bouncing just above idle all the time.

I am finishing break-in very similar to what cifex did and it is more or less what the dealer told me to do with regards to starting soft and running the engine faster over time. Be mindful and take it easy but don't be afraid to spin it out more and more as you put miles on it.

Talonne
August 25th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the outline, cifex. :) I guess I'll be due for an oil change soon... I couldn't find a DIY for it in the wiki. Does anyone have very detailed instructions for someone who doesn't know ANYTHING? I have never even laid a hand on a bottle of oil before. Seriously. :S

I guess I should buy a rear stand? I have spools installed already.

rockNroll
August 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the outline, cifex. :) I guess I'll be due for an oil change soon... I couldn't find a DIY for it in the wiki. Does anyone have very detailed instructions for someone who doesn't know ANYTHING? I have never even laid a hand on a bottle of oil before. Seriously. :S

A stand would make things very nice! Kelly did a DIY on oil changing, here's a link http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10780

talldrink
August 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Today I read somewhere that you shouldn't even shift these bikes until you're at/near 9k rpms. Thoughts on this please???? :confused::confused:

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
ride the bike as you feel comfortable. The more revs, the better the bike likes it, but you should dictate what feels "best" for you, not the bike.

Only caveats are during break in, don't hold the revs at a constant RPM for long periods and don't lug the engine.

Sailariel
August 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Jessica, The Owner`s Manual actually has good directions on oil changes. I used Kawasaki oil and filters for the first 4000 miles. I then changed to WIX filters and full synthetic oil. My break in was very similar to what cifex did and the bike runs brilliantly.

cifex
August 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Today I read somewhere that you shouldn't even shift these bikes until you're at/near 9k rpms. Thoughts on this please???? :confused::confused:

If you want to go fast shift higher than that. The new gen ninja puts out peak power about 10K RPM, so shifting around 12K drops the RPMS right into the top of the power band. Shifting below that will NOT hurt the engine. Just don't lug the engine. Read the owners manual.

Talonne
August 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
A stand would make things very nice! Kelly did a DIY on oil changing, here's a link http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10780

Awesome DIY, thanks for the link!! I will start acquiring the pieces needed to do this.

If you want to go fast shift higher than that. The new gen ninja puts out peak power about 10K RPM, so shifting around 12K drops the RPMS right into the top of the power band. Shifting below that will NOT hurt the engine. Just don't lug the engine. Read the owners manual.

The owner's manual gives some pretty strange advice, considering all the power is at the top end... It basically states that I should be in 6th gear if I'm going 60 km/h! (That's about 37 m/h.) It also says to downshift at 5000 rpm. :confused:

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
ride the bike between 5k and redline.... that's where the usable power is with this bike.

they tell you to downshift at 5k so you don't over rev when you go into a lower gear. you can damage the engine if you downshift and the revs climb above redline when you switch to the lower gear. 5k insures this won't happen.

cifex
August 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I think what the owners manual gives are the absolute "low end" numbers.

I would guess they are telling you not to downshift above 5K rpms because the engine breaking at a high engine RPM comes at a heavy cost of traction. Normally this wouldn't be any problem but if you are new and bad with the clutch or conditions are wet or you're in a turn (you shouldn't be shifting in a turn) there is the potential to break traction at the rear wheel.

DarkNinja52
August 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'm still in break in and haven't taken the bike on the highway yet, or even around 60mph. When I need to go around 40 -50mph, i find that 3rd gear is fine for that and around 9k rpm. Should I be at a higher gear for these speeds? because otherwise unless im on the highway I don't think i'll need 4th or up.

Also what exactly is lugging the engine?

and when the hell should i change my oil? my dealer said wait for the first service, but everyone seems to do it early before that.

Cedilla
August 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I rode my bike like normal under break-in and Ive only changed my oil twice, first with the 600mi service, and again at 4k, now at 5k and the bike still runs just like it left the showroom floor. You can( and probably should) change your oil before the first service, but what im saying it will be fine if you don't, just a little extra wear on the engine. As far as keeping the RPM low, I don't think thats necessary. There is no wrong way to break in a bike, some are probably better, but none will destroy your brand new Kawasaki.:thumbup:

DarkNinja52
August 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
There is no wrong way to break in a bike, some are probably better, but none will destroy your brand new Kawasaki.:thumbup:

Well atleast the red ones will be fine! I'm not sure about the lower quality of the other colors haha. But as far as I know the red ones are much better quality and they go faster but thats a given :D:D:D:D :thumbup:

cifex
August 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I'd say cruising at 9k is on the high side if you aren't on the parkway. 6 or 7K would be more appropriate with plenty of available power for whatever pops up. 6th gear if you're flower sniffing on a country road. But it is not "wrong". You just don't need that much power unless you're accelerating.

Talonne
August 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
A long time would be hours at the same RPM, picture riding 1/2 way across Montana at the same engine speed.

I'm at about 350 kms now and am going on a small road trip tomorrow -- 240 kms for the round trip. This will mostly be on the highway going 110 km/h (~68 mi/h). Is this alright for the engine? It's definitely not driving across Montana, but it'll be about 2 hours of highway driving total and I am still nowhere near broken in.

Cedilla
August 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I would stay off the highway as much as is practical. When on the highway if traffic is sparse vary your speed a little. Even if you don't do this you should be fine though.:thumbup: