View Full Version : New rider - confused with foot position

Redskins Rule
August 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hi all -

I've been riding for about two months, put on about 1500 miles on the 08' 250, but I can seem to get my feet position correct. :confused:

I've taken a pic of my bike and can someone tell me where my heel is supposed to be on the heel guard? (pic 1 or pic2)

Basically, should the heel of my foot be resting on the top of the heel guard (pic 2) or beside the heel guard (pic 1).

rockNroll
August 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Put your feet where they are comfortable and can reach the foot controls easily. I ride on the balls of my feet mostly but my feet move all over the place during a lengthy haul. By design, your heels ride beside the heel guards, not on top of them.

SteveL
August 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Some people ride with their toes on the pegs I have the instep on the peg i.e. the heal stops the boot from sliding forward. Do what ever feels best for you.

Steve

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
pic 1.

gizmogamez
August 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
no no no....you ride with your feet out to the side and your hands in the air yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 09:48 AM
no no no....you ride with your feet out to the side and your hands in the air yelling "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

... and you're wondering why you're looking for parts for the left side of your bike?:D

HKr1
August 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I couldnt stand the feeling of the stock pegs, they had to go.

Redskins Rule
August 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM

How are pegs supposed to feel? (This is my first bike so I don't really know.)

Verus Cidere
August 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
It's really just personal preference. What Kerry was talking about was that he didn't like the placement of the stock footpegs. This can be changed in two ways (that I know of). You can either buy a whole new rearset that replaces the pegs, brackets, and in some cases the levers as well. Many aftermarket rearsets are adjustable, but they can also be somewhat expensive for people who just want a different peg location. For those people, riser plates usually do the trick. Riser plates do nothing more than allow for adjustability using the stock brackets. This is much cheaper than replacing the rearset completely. The downside is that it doesn't adjust the placement of the controls, so if you have small feet it may be more difficult to reach the controls. As to feeling though, it's just personal preference based on where the pegs sit in relation to the seat or the handlebars.

Back to the original question though, I have another question to ask. Why is it that the "correct" placement of feet on the pegs has the balls of the feet on top of them? Does it really make that much difference? If so, what is the difference? It seems to me that it would be safer to always have your feet ON the controls of the bike, to be able to react better in an emergency. :confused:

noche_caliente
August 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm with the folks who have the arch resting on the peg - that's what works for me to be able to reach the shift pedal and keep my knees happy...
Michael - I think they say not to ride this way so that you don't inadvertently bump the controls when you don't want to - but I honestly have no clue

Alex
August 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Having the balls of your feet on the pegs adds to available ground clearance as well. If instead a rider has their feet all the way forward (heel on peg, toes or even balls of feet on shift/brake lever), once the bike reaches a certain lean angle the first thing to hit will likely be their feet.

dimeified
August 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
ouch

Verus Cidere
August 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've scraped my foot on the ground like that before, accidently. But I only managed to do that when I was moving my foot back down from shifting while turning left in an intersection. I usually don't need to do this, but there was a cager in a tank of a diesel behind me that was in a hurry. I see how this would help, but I think this would've happened even with having the balls of the feet on the pegs, because I was shifting at the time. :confused20: Oh well, to each their own I guess.

DarkNinja52
August 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I never really thought about this. I think i keep the pegs right in the arcs of my feet, but i'm not sure. I just make sure 1. I can shift/brake when i need to. and 2. my feet arent accidentally shifting/braking when I dont want them too. So considering you're new I think you should focus on learning the controls, then mixing in a comfortable positon afterwards. Seems like you know what you're doing for the most part with 1500 miles, so as long as you can ride safely, I think you should put you're feet where ever you want.

Buffalony
August 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
... and you're wondering why you're looking for parts for the left side of your bike?:D

Ouch.lol :eek:

+1 I went with the black ebayers an think their great. another plus is they havent started to sag.:)

It seems to me that it would be safer to always have your feet ON the controls of the bike, to be able to react better in an emergency. :confused: I agree, but think one would already be grabbing the front just right before moving their foot to the rear brake. I catch myself doin this often. But there is absolutly split seconds taking away making the movement to the controls. I'm willing to gamble.

Having the balls of your feet on the pegs adds to available ground clearance as well. If instead a rider has their feet all the way forward (heel on peg, toes or even balls of feet on shift/brake lever), once the bike reaches a certain lean angle the first thing to hit will likely be their feet.

I'd have to say for me it's mostly the ball of the big toe. Not the front half of the ball though....dont want to have ur foot sliding off to the back of the bike...better to slide or jump to the front this way atleast your arch can catch.
Between the two I definitly have the arch on there but usually only for shifting and breaking obviously. Having a long inseam at 6'2" I like the ball of the foot because it makes it possible for me to have my legs and knees below the tank. Its the only way I can comfortably stratle the tank and stay loose on the grips. Also a plus for adding some clearance. A Minus for Rear braking and Down shifting. Because of all this I'm always moving my feet around an sometimes their both in different positions depending on whats going on!

Hope we helped some.

TrueFaith
August 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I think you will find that most experienced riders prefer to rest the balls of their feet on the pegs, not the instep except when shifting or braking. It adds control, clearance and absorbs shock better.

baatfam
August 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I think you will find that most experienced riders prefer to rest the balls of their feet on the pegs, not the instep except when shifting or braking. It adds control, clearance and absorbs shock better.

Yes this. :thumbup:

After 35 years of riding, (mostly crusiers), I just started doing it this way.
I find it really works well and makes the bike feel more in control.

Bob T.

BlueTyke
August 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM
When I started I used to keep my heel on the pegs. I had a Mentor who followed me through the back side of Highway Nine (Northern California) and she pointed out to me that I would have better control and be able to turn a bit better if I positioned my feet better. Ball of the foot on the peg. This brought my knees up to better hug the tank and also seemed to be more comfortable. I don't know why but it also seemed to give me a bit more stability when I manuver.

Talonne
August 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I like having the balls of my feet on the pegs, so if I have to go over a bump (there's construction EVERYWHERE right now) I can quickly shift my weight onto the pegs and absorb the force. I always feel like I get thrown off the seat going over bumps anyway.

im_a_ninja
August 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I like having the balls of my feet on the pegs, so if I have to go over a bump (there's construction EVERYWHERE right now) I can quickly shift my weight onto the pegs and absorb the force. I always feel like I get thrown off the seat going over bumps anyway.

I ride like this too. I keep my feet pretty flat on the pegs unless I'm in a construction area/bumpy area and I put the balls of my feet more on the pegs to catch my weight if I need to.
I also worry about my heels riding the rear brake without noticing.
But, it's yet to happen.

: )