View Full Version : Riding Pant suggestions

smcbride11
August 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I've been hunting for a good pair of riding pants for a while now without much luck, so I'm hoping I can draw on the experience and knowledge on the board for some suggestions.

I'm 5'7" ish, roughly 200 lbs, with nice short legs (and large thighs) - that combination puts me in a 36x29 or 36x30 pant normally, and I've got quite a bit of trouble finding jeans that fit properly... which causes me to have corresponding trouble finding riding pants that fit. I've got a pair of Icon Victory pants, and I really don't like them. They're way too long and fit like overpants... but a size smaller just doesn't fit my waist.

My local shops don't have anything in the proper size and I'm hesitant to order online because I expect to need to return them 5 or 6 times.

At any rate, does anyone here have a similar build and have a pair of pants they really like? I'm thinking I need 36x32, preferably textile (though custom leathers would actually be pretty cool).

Thanks!

Mysticfalcon
August 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I just picked some up on ebay that fit me pretty well. Im a 36X30 for normal pants and these fit a little long for walking around but once on the bike the length is perfect. Leg goes to about an top of my heel. Not exactly impenetrable armor but they are nice for what they are.

ASecretNinja
August 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I use Teknic's Chicane Supervent textile. I got them on blow-out clearance for like 109.00. They are great. They even zip into my Teknic Chicane leather jacket. I didn't notice where you are from, but they have a removable waterproof vinyl liner which I HIGHLY recommend removing during anything but COLD weather riding because you will ROAST with the liner inside. I mainly bought them because they were on clearance, but they're also pretty dang cool.

camaroz1985
August 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I have Tour Master Flex pants. They are great for all seasons/conditions. From below freezing, to hot sunny days, and heavy rain, they work great.

From the sizing chart on New Enough it looks like you would take an XL Short (36-38 Waist, 30.5 Inseam).

Take a look.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/convertible_textile_mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/flex_textile_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

sofo
August 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm more or less the same size as you and have a pair of Scorpion Deuce pants in size 36. I can wear pants underneath both with and without the zip-out waterproof liner and when standing they are a little baggy and long but fit perfectly when on the bike. The velcro cuffs let me tighten them around my ankles so there is no flapping or anything.

I usually wear them w/o pants underneath or the liner and the mesh on the front and back of the legs keeps me nice and cool.

Great pants, check them out.

Sailariel
August 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have the River Road leathers and Icon Ballistic Nylon with armor. In the cold, I wear the Icons over the leathers. I sometimes wear the Icons over jeans. I still prefer the leathers.

emt250
August 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I've been looking for basically the same thing as Steve. Haven't found much to my liking so far. Also im not sure if i want an overpants or regular. Will just have to keep on looking. After I get the pants (whatever they are), i plan on buying some Tpro shorts and shins to wear under em, since i imagine whatever armor is in the pants will probably not fit quite right or hold up too well in an accident.

noche_caliente
August 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Steve, Momaru has gotten the fieldshier Mercury pants - you might buzz him and get his opinion on them - they seem well-constructed, and they're on close-out right now. The ones I have that are really neat are the Joe Rocket Ballistic, as they have an adjustable length that makes them perfect for me - I don't know if the men's have that feature as well, but you might look into it

Sound Wave
August 28th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I have Tour Master Flex pants. They are great for all seasons/conditions. From below freezing, to hot sunny days, and heavy rain, they work great.

From the sizing chart on New Enough it looks like you would take an XL Short (36-38 Waist, 30.5 Inseam).

Take a look.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/convertible_textile_mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/flex_textile_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

i also bought the tourmaster flex pants. at the time, i was about a 38.5" waist and a 30 inch inseam (a tiny bit skinnier now). i decided to go with the XXL pants since that seemed to be my size according to the chart.

the pants were sooooooo huge. it looked like clown pants. i returned them and got a large which according to the chart is for 34-36" waists. it fit much better, but they were still slightly baggy. i decided to keep them. i think i should have maybe gone down to even the medium. idk.

being that you are a 36x30, i would suggest that you get a medium short at the most. like the other tourmaster and cortech jackets i have, they tend to run big.

i like that you can remove the outer textile shell to reveal a mesh lining. making them very versitile in different weather. it even comes with a removable thermal liner. in hawaii, i won't ever need that. it also has a removable waterproof/windproof liner, but i have never used that either.

as far as riding jeans, i have the cortech dsx denim pants. http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/dsx_denim_motorcycle_pants.html

the knee pads are basically useless because they ride low... pretty much shin guards. the fit of the jeans are pretty good. the size chart i would say is accurate. initially they were kind of big. it took a couple washings to get them to shrink a bit, but i am happy with them now. i just use my icon knee/shin pads if i ride with those jeans.

i also bought draggin utility jeans in 38x30. http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=JEANS_05

while it is supposed to be a relaxed fit, the length is too long. gotta try to run it through the wash a few more times. if that doesn't work, i am going to take it to get altered.

baatfam
August 28th, 2009, 05:55 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that NewEnough.com has an excellent return policy.
If you ask for a credit, instead of your money back, they give you 10% extra and that generally covers the shipping.
So even if takes you a few tries to find the right ones, you shouldn't lose much, if any.

Also, their description page often has tips on sizing that most sites don't.

Sorry I don't have specific recommendations on pants, as I myself need to get some.

Bob T.

camaroz1985
August 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I am a size 30 waist, but generally wear a 32 inseam, so I had to step up to the medium pants to get enough length when my knees are bent on the bike. This makes the pants look baggy when I'm off the bike, but fit great when on. Plus I can still wear layers under them for in the winter months.

Momaru
August 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
As noche mentioned, I picked up a pair of fieldsheer Mercury overpants from NewEnough about a month ago. The sizing seems to be fairly true (to use them as overpants go with the size you'd normally get in pants) at least for my 30x32. A removable liner for when it gets really cold (still haven't worn this part yet) was a selling point for me as I try to ride year 'round. They've got built-in knee armor that can be adjusted a few inches up/down to better fit your knees; also have some thin pads on the hips and on the bum. I've been very pleased with them as they're quite comfy (even on 300mile trips) when it's cool out and not too bad when it warms up a bit.

As the reviewer on NewEnough states, their two mesh thigh vents don't work that well due to the internal waterproof liner (which I've discovered works great, even in downpours), so I've wound up using them as extra pockets. My one complaint (other than the mesh vent fail) is the leg zippers get caught on the sewn-in internal rain liner from time to time if you're not careful.

All that said, NewEnough does have them on close-out, but they're just about sold out of everything. Motorcycle superstore had some on clearance a few days ago too.

smcbride11
August 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM
All that said, NewEnough does have them on close-out, but they're just about sold out of everything. Motorcycle superstore had some on clearance a few days ago too.

I saw that - the Mercury pants are actually the reason I started this thread, since I can't find a Short model online at all.

Did you find the length to be roughly true to what they advertise?

Voodoo Rufus
August 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I have a set of the standard Draggin Jeans with a full set of their knee and hip armor kept in by velcro on the kevlar lining. I like the jeans a lot, but the armor just makes me sweat wherever they make contact with skin making them very uncomfortable, so I've been leaving them out lately.

I'd like to figure out a way to make the armor fit better without roasting my knees and hips or find another set of dedicated riding pants with shin armor as well.

Momaru
August 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I got the regular length (33" for the small waist size) for the Fieldsheer Mercury pants and they're right on the money; a little long for just walking around (I usually have 32" inseam), but perfect once on the bike and enough room for a pair of jeans under 'em.

Sound Wave
August 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I got the regular length (33" for the small waist size) and they're right on the money; a little long for just walking around (I usually have 32" inseam), but perfect once on the bike.

what is that? the draggin jeans? man, i am stepping on my pants if i walk around with my boots on. i know they should wear a little long, but it seems a bit much. i wonder if my pants are labeled correctly sizewise?

sprale
September 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I had a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants. They were nice, but only lasted a year (I ride every day). The threads began coming out, the zippers eventually failed. They were only waterproof when new.

I moved on to a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air pants. They are mesh and silver/black with removable waterproof and insulated liners. Light colors make all the difference in Texas summers. The waterproof liner comes up short at the top, so rain can easily get in over the top when riding. I have a 3/4 length Teknic Monsoon jacket I wear when it rains, so they're okay in rainy weather.

lumi
September 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Considering the nice replies, thought I'd ask too :)

I have trouble finding right size gear anyway, but with pants it's so far been impossible. I'm 5´9 with and ca. 140 lbs. Usually wear 34 inseam in jeans, but those ride pretty high on my ankles when I'm on the bike, waist is 30.

Most of the women's pants I've found are only up to 32 or 33 inseam and those only in the XL variety with a 35 waist.

ANY ideas? I mean, it'd be great to find something good looking like the savannah pants, but I'm willing to compromise... Now I'm riding with shin guards over my jeans... :D

smcbride11
September 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I tried on a lot of the suggestions here and there was always one thing or another that I didn't like - low knee pads, excess bagginess, etc.

I ended up going with a pair of Komodo Guerilla pants - the Large is just about perfect for my stubby legs and though it's a little tight in the crotch when standing they feel great in the riding position. They're labeled up to 36" waist, but my waist is either smaller than I think or they actually go to 37 or 38 - I've got to cinch the waist a little for a proper fit.

With any luck, I'll never be able to give you guys real world test data. :p

sprale
September 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Considering the nice replies, thought I'd ask too :)

I have trouble finding right size gear anyway, but with pants it's so far been impossible. I'm 5´9 with and ca. 140 lbs. Usually wear 34 inseam in jeans, but those ride pretty high on my ankles when I'm on the bike, waist is 30.

Most of the women's pants I've found are only up to 32 or 33 inseam and those only in the XL variety with a 35 waist.

ANY ideas? I mean, it'd be great to find something good looking like the savannah pants, but I'm willing to compromise... Now I'm riding with shin guards over my jeans... :D

The guys at New Enough (http://www.newenough.com/browse/search?query=pants) are really easy to work with and their listings have very good descriptions with good fitment details.

If you can afford it, look at getting custom fitted gear from Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html).

lumi
September 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
The guys at New Enough (http://www.newenough.com/browse/search?query=pants) are really easy to work with and their listings have very good descriptions with good fitment details.

If you can afford it, look at getting custom fitted gear from Aerostich (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html).

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into those, though the Aerostich is probably way over my budget :(