View Full Version : Photos of the damage from my accident...

SpyderGirl
August 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
After getting her home yesterday I made a laundry list of what will need to be repaired/replaced which includes:

Clutch lever mechanism (I hope it's not as bad as it looks - it's bent backwards)
All of the fairings including front fender
Left side passenger peg bracket
Left side rider foot peg
Brake pedal
Left & Right side handlebar controls
Brake & Clutch Levers (scratched)
Left Handlebar (bent)
Windshield
Seat Cover (cosmetic)
Headlight (scratched)
Front signals
Rearview mirrors
Fuel tank
Exhaust pipe (dented)

So here are the photos...

Kawikaze
August 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Wow. It looks as though you took quite a tumble. Glad you are okay.

Good luck on your rebuild project.

divingtigger
August 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Yours looks a ton better than mine does. I keep saying I'm going to post pics....I should just do it already

noche_caliente
August 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
knowing what your accident looked like from the other pics, the damage doesn't look as bad as I expected. With the tank, as long as it's not leaking, you can keep it like that and maybe do one of the carbon fiber tank protectors like Beast has on his that is actually like a shell - might save you some $$ that way... I think that sportisi makes one as well...
The headlight scractches you might be able to buff out - they make a product especially for that application, and the fairings, as long as chunks aren't missing, you should be able to sand down and have repainted...
good luck with the rebuild - I've put a lot of mine back together last year, so if there's anything you think I can do to help, let me know...

SpyderGirl
August 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
knowing what your accident looked like from the other pics, the damage doesn't look as bad as I expected. With the tank, as long as it's not leaking, you can keep it like that and maybe do one of the carbon fiber tank protectors like Beast has on his that is actually like a shell - might save you some $$ that way... I think that sportisi makes one as well...
The headlight scractches you might be able to buff out - they make a product especially for that application, and the fairings, as long as chunks aren't missing, you should be able to sand down and have repainted...
good luck with the rebuild - I've put a lot of mine back together last year, so if there's anything you think I can do to help, let me know...

I might be able to buff out the headlight scratches, yes. And I was going to get the Sportisi track kit that has the tank shell and might just not bother with the tank for the time being. I'll let you know if I need any help. I am the most concerned about the clutch damage. I am considering getting rearsets.

Yours looks a ton better than mine does. I keep saying I'm going to post pics....I should just do it already

Yes, yes you should. And considering the accident, I am surprised it doesn't look worse. The mono seat cowl is about the only plastic that didn't really sustain that much damage. It just has some scratches and is missing the pad. I'll probably just offer it up to anyone who wants it as long as they just pay the shipping.

I am also very concerned as to what the buy-back price is going to be. If it's more than a grand I might not go for it. It'll cost me about a grand to fix it.

divingtigger
August 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'll pay shipping for the cowl, gotta paint it Green once I get it but it shouldn't be that bad

Greg_E
August 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'd be very concerned about bent frame parts, especially the headstock and swingarm. Might be worth a few hundred for the motor. If you can get the frame measured for a reasonable amount of money that would help you decide if it is worth anything for a buy back.

SpyderGirl
August 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'll pay shipping for the cowl, gotta paint it Green once I get it but it shouldn't be that bad

You've got a deal, I'll take a closer look at it and make sure it's okay and let you know how much shipping will be.

I'd be very concerned about bent frame parts, especially the headstock and swingarm. Might be worth a few hundred for the motor. If you can get the frame measured for a reasonable amount of money that would help you decide if it is worth anything for a buy back.

I am a little concerned regarding the frame on the left side and unfortunately I have less than 10 days before I leave on a 3 week vacation, and I have no idea who I would ask or where I could take it to have the frame looked at. No idea what the cost to have it looked at would be either. Maybe someone here has more information on that for me that would help me make the decision to salvage it. For what it's worth though, the swingarm doesn't appear to have taken any damage and there appears to be very little damage to the front.

Someone told me about this guy though... I may check them out. http://www.motorcycleframeman.com/

BlueTyke
August 31st, 2009, 06:47 AM
Looks like that Seat came out A okay! :D

SpyderGirl
August 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM
The seat cover was damaged, but the seat underneath is probably fine. The damage didn't go all the way through the seat cover.

tinng321
August 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Greg_E
August 31st, 2009, 08:07 AM
The absolute first thing to do is loosen the triple clamps and rotate the tubes a little. This will release the stored twist that is almost certainly in your forks. Tighten back up to spec for the quick test listed at the end of this post.

I would also check the forks to make sure they aren't bent and sticking. Most easily done buy removing the cap so that there is no spring pressure. Then run them up and down and give a few twists, any point where they seem to stick suggests a bend. While you have them open might as well do a spring mod and maybe valve mod with fresh oil. You might be able to compress and release the forks while on the bike and caps installed, but it will take a little gorilla engineering to get it done. A friend that ways over 200 pounds will help. Two ways are to strap the bike so that it can not fall over, and then use gravity and weight to compress the forks and release. No sticking is a good thing. Alternate is to ride it pretty fast, jam on the front brake and do not release until the bike stops. Note the point where the forks top back out and note how they slide. Pull up on the front to see where the top out and how they slide. The gorilla method with the stationary bike makes it easier to watch and feel how things are sliding.

The easiest thing to check for swingarm damage would be to get a nice long straightedge (most people suggest that 6 foot level from the building supply stores). Line the bike up so that the front wheel is straight forward and hold it there (probably on the center stand). Line the level up along the bike tire, measure the distance to the edge of the front rim, repeat on the other side of the bike, compare measurements. Then check (measure from the pivot) the chain tensioner on each side of the swingarm and see if they are in the same place. If the tensioner is in the same place on both sides, and you have a difference between right and left measurements, something is tweaked. Could be the swingarm is tweaked, could be the triple clamps, could be the fork, could be the frame.

Pull all the plastic off and check to see if the tail section looks like it has the same dimensions on both sides of the center line, maybe even run a string from the measured center in the front to the measured center in the rear. Then measure to a mid point around the middle of the bike. If it is off by more than a couple millimeters something is bent.

Those are the easy things to check, can't help with the headstock angle or any of the more complex aspects of the frame.

Alternate is to take it for a ride and see if it turns more easily in one direction than the other. It's a crude test but will tell you if something is off, a couple millimeters of rear tire offset angle will make a noticeable difference in turning one way or the other. Then check the tensioners and see if they are out of whack and fix, ride again to see if it got better of worse. Worse means something is tweaked.

divingtigger
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Take a good look at how the panels are lining up (assuming they aren't broken too badly) if everything looks like it is lining up or could be lined up without much work then your frame probably isn't that bad and could be straightened with a pipe/hammer. I thought that mine was twisted a little bit and trying to put the panels on confirmed it, nothing really lined up that much

Strider
September 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Any damage is BAD damage! OUCH.
I hope your healing though, I didn't know you crashed, sorry to hear of it ...

Kawasabi
September 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
damn!!!!!! only 800 miles............ barely broken in!!!!!!!!! :violin:

edwinmcq
September 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
If you need a wind screen send me an email and I can send you my old one (200 miles on it).

bob706
September 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
damn!!!!!! only 800 miles............ barely broken in!!!!!!!!! :violin:

+1

Not that it would matter if it had 18k miles or 800. Still heartbreaking to see