View Full Version : Removing Rear Wheel?

minuslars
August 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I've been trying to remove my rear tire for 2 days because of lack of time, proper tools and experience with bike hardware. That and my bike is parked outside, and mosquitoes LOVE me, so I can only stand working on it for about 15-20 minutes tops, lol. Man just thinking about motorcycles right now makes me itch.

If anybody has a visual DIY of removing the rear wheel on a *pregen* PLEASE send it to me, lol... the exploded view in the service manual looks ass backwards and completely different from what I see on the bike, and even from the pictures on the next page in the service manual...

I've got all the stuff loosened as per the manual... got the axle bolt loose but haven't been able to get the axle out yet... some sources have said you have to push the wheel forward in order to get the axle to come out - I haven't tried that.

Anyone have any other tips?

KELPHYN
August 30th, 2009, 09:40 PM
15-20 minutes should be more than enough time to remove your wheel. Back off your chain adjusters, remove axle nut( removing cotter pin first) Keeping wrench on the axle bolt head, rotate axle back and forth while pushing on the axle from the other side . When the threaded side gets flush with the swingarm you should be able to get your fingers around the head of the axle bolt a continue pulling and twisting. Might have to wiggle the tire side to side at the same time too. Should come right out. If not..use a punch on the center of the axle from the threaded side and carefully tap the axle out making sure not to damage the threads. Also watch for the spacers on each side of your wheel hub on the inside of your swingarm. Just remember to clean and grease your axle and seals then you reassemble. Hope this helps.

Jerry
August 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Here's a link:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removing/replacing_the_rear_wheel

Help to sit on the ground behind and lift the wheel a bit

minuslars
August 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yup thanks for the advice... picked up a dead blow hammer and finally knocked that axle loose... a couple years' worth of gunky chain lube, road grime, and long-gone axle grease... if it was even greased properly, made life harder than it had to be. There is some very light surface rust on the axle but it's really a non-issue, I'm just gonna give that baby some lovin' and I think it'll be alright:thumbup:

minuslars
August 31st, 2009, 08:19 PM
I took another look at the picture I took of my axle...

Is this axle still safe to use? Not the best option, I know...

http://www.arthurtsang.com/images/ex250-rustyaxle.jpg

Alex
August 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Clean it up, get some new grease on it, and it's likely good to go. Surface rust isn't going to cause any significant damage to anything as solid as an axle.

KELPHYN
September 1st, 2009, 03:23 AM
Yup, what Alex said. Clean it up with some emery cloth or steel then put a thin coat of low-temp grease on it before putting it back together. If you don't have low-temp, vasoline will work. Also check your seals for any damage and pack some grease in them and your bearings ( if they aren't the sealed type ) Hope your back on the road soon.