View Full Version : Too much, too soon

backinthesaddleagain
August 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Coworker of my mother-in-law's passes MSF and now has 4 months riding experience (weekends only). Goes on a 300 bike ride and rides her boyfriend's HD (can't remember the model, just remember its not a "little sportster"). Talking to the rider next to her, and doesn't see a pipe or something in the road, hits and has no where to go. Ends up trapped between bike and guardrail for a distance, which luckily kept her upright and from hitting her un-helmeted head, but sever leg and foot damage from bike/guardrail.

Tigress
August 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
That is definitely too much too soon. I know many states allow riders not to wear helmets, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing so even if I had 40 years experience. Hope she's ok.

BlueTyke
August 31st, 2009, 06:41 AM
I am sorry to read this.

I wish her the best in recovery

backinthesaddleagain
August 31st, 2009, 06:55 AM
I know my state (which is her state) requires helmets for first year. She was riding out of state (not sure of law in that state). Too much stuff going on for someone new to a bike. At the moment its a marathon length surgery requiring 2 teams of vascular surgeons/nurses working on the lower leg and foot.

Momaru
August 31st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Egad, I hope all that surgical teamwork has wonderful results, for her sake. But can't agree more, too many distractions makes for a bad recipe.

ScraitT
August 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Wow that's horrible...a LOT of bike too soon.

There was a girl in my MSF class that could barely hold up the buell blast the course provided and she was going home to ride her husbands old Harley road King. Needless to say...without even being able to hold the buell up and properly control it, they PASSED her...

The helmet law (or lack of) doesn't bother me. If someone wants to endanger themselves without one, fine (I know friends and family and stuff, but that aside).
However i DO think we should have something in the states similar to other countries where you have to start small and work your way up. Whether it's a cruiser or sport bike, starting with something too big for most people is overwhelming and dangerous to themselves AND others.

tinng321
August 31st, 2009, 07:41 AM
That's sad.
They should make helmet mandatory for all states.
I know for sure that in CT helmet is not require.
Everytime I visit my parents in CT I always see people riding without helmet.
That's a big risk to take.

talldrink
August 31st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Very sad story; wish her a speedy recovery.

However, I agree with Tyler that we should have something in the States similar to what other countries have that require you to start out on a smaller cc bike and work your way up. I hear too many stories od people passing the MSF or just getting their M1 endorsement and running right out and hopping on a litre bike or something as powerful.

Tigress
August 31st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Missouri requires helmets, but Illinois does not. While picking up my bike Saturday from Illinois, I was surprised, yet pleased, that so many wore helmets. Not wearing a helmet was the minority. However, I can't say the same for Oklahoma.

sofo
August 31st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery. Regardless of the circumstances nobody deserves to be maimed.

bob706
August 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hope she has a quick recovery and is able to ride again soon. It does sound like a totally avoidable situation though.

CC Cowboy
August 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Gregg, that sucks out loud.

I heard about a girl falling off the back of a bike and getting hit by the motorcycle behind her about 10 days ago (95 and RT 10). She had a helmet on but no other gear. She was a mess.

I was up for a couple of weeks and rode almost everyday. I have some new roads north of Providence if you're up for it. I'm coming back up Wednesday for a week.

I did a trackday with my son, Thomas, yesterday. First time on a track in 20 years. It felt great. I guess it's like riding a bike, once you learn it, it stays with you.

backinthesaddleagain
August 31st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Gregg, that sucks out loud.

I heard about a girl falling off the back of a bike and getting hit by the motorcycle behind her about 10 days ago (95 and RT 10). She had a helmet on but no other gear. She was a mess.

I was up for a couple of weeks and rode almost everyday. I have some new roads north of Providence if you're up for it. I'm coming back up Wednesday for a week.

I did a trackday with my son, Thomas, yesterday. First time on a track in 20 years. It felt great. I guess it's like riding a bike, once you learn it, it stays with you.

She was somewhere over the line it CT. But I did hear of the woman who fell off the back that you mention. Will let you know for sure. Been riding some roads between 138 & 165 near Arcadia, then 165 & 102 in backwoods of W Greenwich.

Sailariel
August 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Certainly wish her a speedy recovery. I guess in her case, a helmet was a non issue--sounds like she will have some long days in rehab. Here in Maine we can always spot the out of state riders. Their helmets are strapped to the bike. We have almost total compliance concerning helmets with bicycles--go figure.

g21-30
August 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Addition for this thread.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp

backinthesaddleagain
August 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
Certainly wish her a speedy recovery. I guess in her case, a helmet was a non issue--sounds like she will have some long days in rehab. Here in Maine we can always spot the out of state riders. Their helmets are strapped to the bike. We have almost total compliance concerning helmets with bicycles--go figure.

Oddly enough that the non-helmet was a non-issue. I guess being pinned between the bike and gaurd rail kept her upright. Long rehab for sure.

bob706
August 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM

goddammit that is f*cking awful! Please tell me that is fake.

dimeified
August 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM
Not exactly a motorcycle accident, but if one is looking for a reminder of what too much machine for an inexperienced operator can result, google Nikki Catsouras and check out the accident scene photos. I don't want to post direct links out of respect for the family but they aren't hard to find at all. Please be respectful of Nikki and don't let yourself be "entertained" as you would by a non-fatal accident on the side of the road. Be warned, the pictures are VERY graphic. She looks like she was such a bright beautiful girl and unfortunately this is the end result of inexperience vs machine.

Tigress
September 1st, 2009, 01:17 AM

WOW!! I'm originally from Tulsa, so I know exactly what they are talking about. I believe earlier this year something similiar happen, but the guy was splattered all over the highway from running into the back of a truck of some sort. The pics leave you speechless. :eek:

Apex
September 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM
The only time I don't wear a helmet is if I'm moving the bike in the driveway, or just putting down the dead end street after a chain lube to work it in.

I think helmets should be required. That way there are no "I'm not going to wear one so I don't look like a dork" thoughts. Even if I did get a Harley, I think I'd still wear a full face helmet. I've seen the data for damage to helmets, it makes no sense to not wear one to me (full face).

Hope she gets better soon.

dimeified
September 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
i think full face helmets look badass, especially with smoked visors.

CC Cowboy
September 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM
She was somewhere over the line it CT. But I did hear of the woman who fell off the back that you mention. Will let you know for sure. Been riding some roads between 138 & 165 near Arcadia, then 165 & 102 in backwoods of W Greenwich.

Try Falls River Rd next time you're in the Arcadia area (off Escoheag Hill Rd). There is a great place to chill (water falls) half way down the road.

Try 102 (Ten Rod) to Tripps Corner. Go south on Tripps to Mail to Glen Rock. South on Glen Rock to 138. West on 138 to Beaver River Rd. South on Beaver River to Shannock Hill Rd. Go right (west) and be carefull. We call it the corkscrew, you'll find out why. Cross 112 to Pine Hill and west to Hope Valley Rd/Switch Rd to Hope Valley and your home.

backinthesaddleagain
September 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
been down that corkscrew hill. thing is wild. almost rode falls river, then wasn't sure if it turned to dirt or not, and was after 7pm so getting dark in dem dar woods. what a horrible job the state did to beach pond too. decided they didn't want it to be a swim area anymore so they knocked down the concession stand, made the parking 10% of its original size, and covered the beach with rocks- what a shame. nice road to ride there though (165 into CT, then back on 138).

backinthesaddleagain
September 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
heard that woman did not lose foot due to successful surgery! however walk might not be right again.

Nickds7
September 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
^hopefully she will be able to walk again.

Doctors told me I probably wouldn't be able to walk right again after I had my right leg rain over and sent into the corner of a vans door (bending out the corner of the door) effectively leaving a 3in wide hole in my leg (to the bone)... Hopefully she will be lucky as well.

But hell, I learned to not be stupid around cars, I'm sure she also learned a lesson.

backinthesaddleagain
September 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM
first surgery saved the foot, but had to re-skin graft today as first one didn't take.

RedNinja09
September 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I ALWAYS wear a helmet. Sometimes it bothers my neck and I get a little sore. But, I feel like a little pain is worth my brain and my face. I have friends who do not ride with helmets, they "are uncomfortable." Forget that, I will always wear one, you just never know what it going to happen.

backinthesaddleagain
September 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I ALWAYS wear a helmet. Sometimes it bothers my neck and I get a little sore. But, I feel like a little pain is worth my brain and my face. I have friends who do not ride with helmets, they "are uncomfortable." Forget that, I will always wear one, you just never know what it going to happen.

my chin strap always gets me right on the razor burn. Then the nylon riding jackets color gets me there too.

oh well, the cost of safety.

karlosdajackal
September 10th, 2009, 06:40 AM
my chin strap always gets me right on the razor burn. Then the nylon riding jackets color gets me there too.

oh well, the cost of safety.

I wear a balaclava, a cotton one but you can get silk and all sorts.

Pros
* no more neck issues strap issues
* seems to make fogging up the visor less likely also.
* Easier to throw in the laundry

Cons
* Face is a bit warmer
* yet another piece of gear to put on / take off

backinthesaddleagain
September 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I wear a balaclava, a cotton one but you can get silk and all sorts.

Pros
* no more neck issues strap issues
* seems to make fogging up the visor less likely also.
* Easier to throw in the laundry

Cons
* Face is a bit warmer
* yet another piece of gear to put on / take off

could have used one this morning as my neck was freezing

Sailariel
September 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
The chin strap problem is solved by growing a beard. I did almost fall off my Ninja the other day from laughing.--Saw a couple on a Harley wearing bicycle helmets. His was blue to match the bike, and hers was pink. I hope somebody got a picture of that couple. It was just too funny.

backinthesaddleagain
September 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
wow bicycle helmets, that could get you thrown out of the H.O.G.

DarkNinja52
September 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
it seems that those who neglect to wear helmets, also neglect the fact that riding is dangerous in the first place and should be taken very seriously. seems like those who don't wear helmets also don't even pay attention to the road as much . its an unfortunate combination. of course i feel bad when a fellow rider gets hurt, but its hard to care about them when they obviously don't care about themselves. i hope your mother-in-law's coworker has a speedy recovery