View Full Version : 250 clutch issues

01jackedZ
August 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Howdy, I just picked up a 2006 250 and im having issues with the clutch engaging, or lack of it. It was laid over, and there is some damage to the left side of the bike. I picked up a second bike just for parts and put a new left handlebar on to get the clutch hooked up. I removed the tank to route the clutch cable in. Here is my issue, when i put the bike on the center stand it starts in nuetral no problem, and when i pop it into 1st gear the rear wheel spins and wont stop when i pull the clutch handle. I can see the cable pulling up on the side of the gearbox and the clutch handle feels normal to me. The bike has 4000 miles on it, and there was oil in the engine when we ran. I made sure to add oil to it as well, i think 10-40 is what i added, it was the correct weight though. I know its got a wet clutch so i made sure it was lubricated pretty well. I have adjusted the cable a bit to make sure its pulling, and also let the bike warm up for about 15 minutes and tried to get the clutch to unstick by pulling the handle. Ive never worked on a bike clutch before but i dont mind tearing it down if i have to, Any tips on where to start first?

Alex
August 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Most bikes with a wet clutch will spin the rear wheel when on a stand, even if the clutch is pulled in all the way. If it's pulled in and you try and stop the wheel with your foot (be careful!) it should stop very easily; it's only a slight drag that is keeping it turning.

OldGuy
August 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Do you have a shop manual? If you did not route the cable back exactly like it should be you may have changed the "effective length" of the cable and all of the adjustments will be off. Double check the cable routing and then use the clutch adjustment procedure in the manual (page 5-4 for pre gens) to set things up correctly and go from there.

01jackedZ
August 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM
I dont have a shop manual, but I might have one here very soon thanks to a member. Ill check and see if I can stop it with my foot. Ive stopped it with the rear brake but never tried light force

01jackedZ
September 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
thought id throw up a few pics of the bike as well.

The one ill be riding:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/whitlock07/DSCN0985.jpg

The parts bike:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/whitlock07/DSCN0992.jpg

And ive got gear ill be rockin as well, dont wanna squid it up:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/whitlock07/DSCN0990.jpg

I bought the bike for $200, and the parts bike for $350, but the parts bike has a blown piston and no title. The 06 ninja i got for $200 however runs and came with a title, just stripped the main fairing, im working on getting the clutch issue resolved and a few other minor things and it will be a great bike to learn on. Ill be taking my MSF course as well

noche_caliente
September 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
those pants already have holes in them! how are they supposed to protect you? :D

Sounds like you got GREAT deals on the bikes!

01jackedZ
September 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
I would agree, i think i got some amazing deals, I just need to get the one up and running now, I cant wait to learn to ride, this is my first bike. And the Jeans are a bit haggard, they are my motorcycle crash pants, already broke in! Ill rock those and leather shoes to school and back and then for long drives and curves ill pick up a leather jacket and some nice gloves and boots

Wes
September 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Alex is right. The wheel will spin on a stand whether or not the clutch is fully disengaged. Even when pulled, the plates will turn with the oil, kind of like in a viscous fluid differential.

01jackedZ
September 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
got it going and took it for its first spin today! I need to get my license and all that mess but up and down my street has been a blast

kkim
September 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
got it going and took it for its first spin today! I need to get my license and all that mess but up and down my street has been a blast

you're riding around w/o a licence and insurance? do you have tons of money to ward off a lawsuit in case something should wrong while you're playing around on the street illegally?

01jackedZ
September 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
i took it about 400 yards down my street, in a neighborhood, no worries. im not takin it out on public streets or anything

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
clutch seems to still hate me at times, rode in circles for 20 minutes today and at the end of the ride it stopped wantin to go. When i let the clutch out in first gear it doesnt die, like the clutch isnt fully disengaging. Im not sure what to do, does it sound like a clutch cable issue?

kkim
September 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
is it adjusted properly? is there sufficient freeplay?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10016

when was the last time the engine oil was changed? is it filled to the proper level?

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
im not sure, i think thats my problem. i have the screw tightened all the way in right now on the handlebar

kkim
September 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
check the link I just edited into my previous reply.

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
awesome link, thanks so much for the help. Ill check into adjusting it tomorrow, its not hard to pull the clutch now so it probably needs to be tightened more, but its almost all the way in at the handlebars.

I just changed the oil in the bike this weekend, when i stand the bike up straight its about half full to 3/4 full when the bike is off and has sat for a bit.

When i first start the bike, i let it warm up for about a minute and then i jump on and take off and it wants to go nowhere, it revs up high but doesnt seem to fully engage into gear. I have to ride for a bit, and then stop and let it warm up and all of a sudden it will take off and shift gears no problem, is this normal?

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I really appreciate all the help btw, im new to bikes in general. Always been into cars, but ive never worked or ridden motorcycles

kkim
September 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
When i first start the bike, i let it warm up for about a minute and then i jump on and take off and it wants to go nowhere, it revs up high but doesnt seem to fully engage into gear. I have to ride for a bit, and then stop and let it warm up and all of a sudden it will take off and shift gears no problem, is this normal?

that's not normal. sounds like the clutch may be slipping. adjust the freeplay at the lever and see if that helps.

if that's not the problem, the next suspect would be a worn/slipping clutch.

kkim
September 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I really appreciate all the help btw, im new to bikes in general. Always been into cars, but ive never worked or ridden motorcycles

you should seriously look into getting a service manual for your bike. it's an invaluable tool.

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
ive adjusted the cable at the bar end, but i havent adjusted anything at the gearbox. The adjuster at the handlebar is almost all the way in, like yours is in the link you posted.

The thing that baffles me is that it seems to work perfectly sometimes, and after its been warmed up and then theres a little gremlin that creeps up randomly and it decides it doesnt want to go anymore. Sometimes i decide im just gonna tear it apart anyways and then ill ride for 15 minutes and not have any issues at all. Like i said im in a small neighborhood though, i dont want to venture onto public roads if the clutch is gonna act up like this. Im a bit scared of taking apart the clutch but i guess thats next on my to do list if adjusting doesnt work.

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
you should seriously look into getting a service manual for your bike. it's an invaluable tool.

I have one i need to download and print, im heading to campus in a few, ill download it and print it off.

kkim
September 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
how many miles are on the engine? do you know how the bike was treated by the previous owner?

01jackedZ
September 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
there are about 4600 miles on the bike, and the previous owner was an older guy, so it shouldnt have been too ragged on, but it was laid over pretty hard as well

Purspeed
September 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My bike had 10K on the clock and the clutch went out because the bike heated up too much.

Your description (provided that the cable is adjusted) sound precisely like a worn clutch.

Here is a way to help find out. Smell the oil for a "burnt" smell. Also, check the oil screen for pieces/chunks of friction disc.

I did a thorough DIY on clutches with plenty of pictures, so refer to those.

With the DIY, the clutch job should be a breeze.

01jackedZ
September 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
heres an update, it was the cable. this little guy to be precise:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/whitlock07/securedownload-1.jpg

I dont know why i didnt think to adjust the cable at the actual gearbox instead of just the handle, i did after all replace the entire cable. Shifting just fine now, although i have a shake when i decelerate quickly, im having my buddy who rides come over and check it out later.

I would have responded earlier but i spent all weekend taking my MSF course. Learned a lot and passed both tests, so ill be going to get my motorcycle license early this week, one step closer to getting on the road!

01jackedZ
September 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
and just for grins, pic i just snapped:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/whitlock07/securedownload-1-1.jpg

kkim
September 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
yes, course adjustment is done to the clutch cable down at the engine side... fine tuning at the handlebar. glad you got things sorted out.

01jackedZ
September 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
thanks! I am quickly becoming addicted to riding, I want to get legal and put some serious miles on it. thanks so much for everyones help!