View Full Version : My first crash after riding for 9 years. Oil slicked road.

matteblack
August 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm pissed and my pristine bike is not anymore because some jerk spilled oil all over the on-ramp. I'm a super careful rider and always watch out for hazardous road conditions. A corvette slid out 10 mins after I crashed and hit a wall. Bad news. What a bad way to have my first crash. I think I mostly got away unscathed, but I'm going to go get a check up just in case.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2490/3876524624_5fe8b0f70a.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2440/3876544220_8bd973a6c2.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3515/3875773557_1520481d8d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/3876564162_baff7ba8b6_b.jpg

noche_caliente
August 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM
are YOU ok? from what you posted, I'm seeing new left bar, clutch lever, mirror and signal... and assuming plastics, or did those somehow survive ok? Check out the cycle control thread, today is their last day of the special offer

mikedabike64
August 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Wow when you said oil you meant it. The bike looks not so bad but glad your ok

matteblack
August 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I think I am ok. Had a helmet, gloves and jacket on. Only the gloves and my jeans show any wear. I slid on my hands and left side mostly.

A lot of stuff is damaged but workable. left mirror and turn are gone, lower fairing, cowl, tail section, kickstand, clutch lever, and shifter are all scratched up. Left handlebar is really bent.

sofo
August 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Ouch! I as well am glad you are ok and the bike is not destroyed. Did you see it at all or not until you were on top of it and starting to slip?

matteblack
August 31st, 2009, 06:29 PM
Didn't see it at all. Road looked normal and wasn't shiny. All of a sudden I was on the ground and sliding on what felt like gravel and that was it.

sofo
August 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Didn't see it at all. Road looked normal and wasn't shiny. All of a sudden I was on the ground and sliding on what felt like gravel and that was it.

Damn. I haven't crashed a motorcycle like that but had similar crashes on bicycles both on and off-road, it sucks when there is nothing you could have done.

Fix it and get back on man!

matteblack
August 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Fix it and get back on man!

That's the plan! There are a couple months left in the riding season and I'm not gonna ride the ruckus 100% of that time. In MN we need to use every last drop of summer! ;)

Greg_E
August 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Diesel fuel. Did you file a police report? They usually catch the trucks spilling their tanks after they follow the trail, the driver or trucking company may need to buy you a new bike and pay your medical bills. If you filed a report, I would contact the police and see if they caught the truck that did this.

I used to drive a truck, this is serious and the DEC police take this really seriously around here. Happens about once a month here and they close big sections of highway when they find it because it can be very dangerous.

Flashmonkey
August 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
Gahh you can see the slick right on the tires....that's nasty!!

I'm glad you're ok. Now get some fancy new clip-ons :thumbup:

Anthony_marr
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Sorry this happened. But glad you're okay.

This is unnerving, that you didn't see it until you hit it. What speed were you going at?

Anyway, you bike will look brand new again within a month, I predict. :cool:

matteblack
August 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
That's an interesting diesel fuel theory, Greg... I'll have to check in with the cops.

I was accelerating from a stop light and the road was shady and didn't look off at all to me. I was probably going about 35-45 or so. Hard to know with the speedo on the bike not being accurate and I was looking down the road and not at the speedo.

bob706
August 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM
+1 to you being ok. Is your odometer at 1480 miles???:eek:

Greg_E
August 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM
I bet a few dollars that it was a fuel cap left off the tank or a broken fuel line. The problem is that even if it starts as big puddles it will spread into a very long slick in almost no time, especially when the cars go through. I've just seen this too many times to think anything but fuel oil, and since it's on a highway diesel is the most likely culprit. A light rain makes it really dangerous since it isn't strong enough to wash the oil away. I'd go for the cap left off the tank since you were on a slight hill with a corner so it probably slopped out of the outside tank on an old truck that doesn't check things like tank pressure for leak detection. Think your car has a lot of stuff going on, the newer trucks have twice as much monitoring and control, OBDII is nothing compared to some of the modern fleet trucks with satellite assisted monitoring/tuning.

Any construction going on around that area? Or maybe a garbage hauling route? Those generally have the worst trucks and in some cases worst drivers (at least here, the garbage scow drivers are really bad most days, but a lot of check points have started to clean that up). Yes I commute on a garbage run from lots of places to the burning plant across "town" from where I work. God I'm glad that there are two popular checkpoints that run most days now, took a lot of the wrecks off the road. Things with bent axles always made me scared and mad, the driver is responsible for checking the condition of the truck and trailer, report minor issues, and not driving if there are major issues. Had so many arguments with one boss about what was required and what I was willing to drive with. You'd be surprised how willing they were to lose a $250,000 satellite broadcast truck to stupid things that should have been fixed the first time they were reported. A $50 mirror that would fold back at highway speeds leaving you completely blind to anything alongside the truck was one of the big issues. Damn glad I don't work for those idiots anymore.

matteblack
August 31st, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yep. 1480 miles. Bought it used a couple months back with 700 miles on it. :(

Again, amazing info Greg. It's wild that after 14 years on the road I have never heard of or witnessed a diesel spill causing such a slick road.

Apparently the city has now been by with sand to soak it up. A local forum member rode by tonight and it was sandy.

dimeified
August 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
if/when i go down i hope to god it's on oil

bob706
August 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yep. 1480 miles. Bought it used a couple months back with 700 miles on it. :(

Any wreck is tough to read about but jeez, your bike was still practically cherry. As long as you can ride again, it's all good.

OldGuy
August 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Matt - glad to hear you are OK. As others have said there is not much you could do when you can't even see the hazard. Hope you can use Greg's insight and get some satisfaction.

BlueTyke
September 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Glad you are okay!

backinthesaddleagain
September 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
I bet a few dollars that it was a fuel cap left off the tank or a broken fuel line. The problem is that even if it starts as big puddles it will spread into a very long slick in almost no time, especially when the cars go through. I've just seen this too many times to think anything but fuel oil, and since it's on a highway diesel is the most likely culprit. A light rain makes it really dangerous since it isn't strong enough to wash the oil away. I'd go for the cap left off the tank since you were on a slight hill with a corner so it probably slopped out of the outside tank on an old truck that doesn't check things like tank pressure for leak detection. Think your car has a lot of stuff going on, the newer trucks have twice as much monitoring and control, OBDII is nothing compared to some of the modern fleet trucks with satellite assisted monitoring/tuning.

Any construction going on around that area? Or maybe a garbage hauling route? Those generally have the worst trucks and in some cases worst drivers (at least here, the garbage scow drivers are really bad most days, but a lot of check points have started to clean that up). Yes I commute on a garbage run from lots of places to the burning plant across "town" from where I work. God I'm glad that there are two popular checkpoints that run most days now, took a lot of the wrecks off the road. Things with bent axles always made me scared and mad, the driver is responsible for checking the condition of the truck and trailer, report minor issues, and not driving if there are major issues. Had so many arguments with one boss about what was required and what I was willing to drive with. You'd be surprised how willing they were to lose a $250,000 satellite broadcast truck to stupid things that should have been fixed the first time they were reported. A $50 mirror that would fold back at highway speeds leaving you completely blind to anything alongside the truck was one of the big issues. Damn glad I don't work for those idiots anymore.

Speakng of garbage trucks, one left a long slick of liquid from compacting the trash for about half a mile on my commute today. It stunk and bet it was slippery.

Sailariel
September 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Matt, Glad you are OK. The bike will mend. It sure looks like a diesel spill to me. Our oil man came one time and spilled some fuel oil--same as diesel on our Tarmac. I came in later on my bicycle. Never saw it--just went down hard. No jeans or jacket, just Lycra Spandex and a helmet. Washing diesel on road rash is bad news--have to use Mayonaise and then warm water. The Mayo absorbs the diesel. I am glad my arms and legs were shaved. There is no way you could have prevented that one. That stuff is nasty. I imagine the Corvette got some fiberglass damage.

matteblack
September 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks. Yep the corvette's front bumper was done. Seemed like the rest was fine, though.

Sailariel
September 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
A Corvette bumper is big bucks.

Strider
September 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Glad your OK Matthew! but did you get checked out by a doctor? just in case ...

I know how it feels to see your baby get all messed up, makes you want to cry ... but once it's fixed again, get back on and go riding again!

BlueRaven
September 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Wow didn't even know that diesel spills were so slippery and i drive the rigs. You learn something everyday. Thank god we don't have many old trucks around here the DOT's are always around keeping an eye out for unfit tractors and trailers.

matteblack
September 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Well the bike was totalled but I'm keeping it and fixing the broken bits. It will have a salvage title and I'll still owe money on it, which is super lame. I did get checked by a doc and he said I probably only had some strained muscles.

tjkamper
September 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Well I'm glad you're okay. Good luck fixing the bike up.

patw
September 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well the bike was totalled but I'm keeping it and fixing the broken bits. It will have a salvage title and I'll still owe money on it, which is super lame. I did get checked by a doc and he said I probably only had some strained muscles.

How do salvage titles work down there? Is it possible to rebuild and get it certified and plated again?

To be honest, I'm not sure how it works in Ontario either, but all the salvage title bikes up here are sold as "track bike".

matteblack
September 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure once a title is labelled salvage, it's salvage. Pretty stupid considering that none of the mechanicals are ruined.

ninjabrewer
September 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I just read this thread and I'm glad that you are ok, how are you doing now? Did you either get the bike fixed, parted out, get a another one?

nb

HKr1
September 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty sure once a title is labelled salvage, it's salvage. Pretty stupid considering that none of the mechanicals are ruined.

They have different salvage codes here in FL. Some can can put back on the street, and some can not. Check with your dmv for sure, before putting money into it.

I remember the old days, they would let you put anything back on the road after the highway patrol gave it a look over.

g21-30
September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Funny thing in VA, the bikes used in MSF by the DMV schools are ALL salvage. Mechanically, there is no problem with them. :eek:

matteblack
October 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
I got the bike back home from the shop the other day and have ordered enough parts to get it back on the road and functional. For the cosmetic stuff, I'll probably leave it for a while or get the whole bike painted at some point. I always wanted a white ninja.

Unfortunately there aren't many riding days left this season here, but I hope to get it out once or twice.

matteblack
October 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Got all of the new parts put on the bike today. It runs and drives just fine. Any recommendations for getting oily crap off the tires? I felt it being squirmy and I'm afraid to turn left until I get the tire scrubbed off.

kkim
October 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM
try using some paint thinner to remove the oil residue, then wash the tire with soap and water when done.

CZroe
October 7th, 2009, 11:52 PM
try using some paint thinner to remove the oil residue, then wash the tire with soap and water when done.

Shh! Tell him to buy new tires and sell me his GT501 rear (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30613)! ;)

If only I could find a "salvage" one that actually intends to be salvaged.

kkim
October 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Shh! Tell him to buy new tires and sell me his GT501 rear (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30613)! ;)

If only I could find a "salvage" one that actually intends to be salvaged.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUNLOP-ARROWMAX-GT501-SET-110-70-130-70-EX250R-EX-250R_W0QQitemZ180406728360QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash= item2a011436a8

CZroe
October 8th, 2009, 04:09 AM
OP: I may be weirdly seeking the same tires that just failed you but, well, I wasn't discouraged and neither should you. From what I understand, there are extra costs in getting a salvage title restored to a registrable title, but you could probably make it worth your while and stay under the insurance payout amount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUNLOP-ARROWMAX-GT501-SET-110-70-130-70-EX250R-EX-250R_W0QQitemZ180406728360QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash= item2a011436a8

http://artyscope.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/seagulls1.jpg

I Froogled before with no luck and *now* it shows up. ;) adouglas used that image to swipe my CP Blue hugger from ztrack157 so I'll swipe his image for my purposes-bwa ha hah ha hah!

DarkNinja52
October 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
welcome to the club.. glad you're okay though
ill tell you what was told to me on here when i crashed.
"don't crash, crashing sucks"