View Full Version : Sold my Ninja 250

revstriker
September 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Well, my original plan was to wait until Spring of next year, but while I was at the dealer getting my 250 serviced, I talked to the sales guy about the 09 ZX-6R. After thinking about it for a few days, I decided to go for it. While I didn't get the trade in value I wanted, I did get a good price on the bike which made up for it. So now I'm on a black Ninja ZX-6R. I know I will miss the 250.

When I get a chance I will put up some pics.

sharky nrk
September 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
congrats man - its a hell of a good bike

andrewexd
September 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
cool, how many miles did you put on the 250 ?

revstriker
September 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
cool, how many miles did you put on the 250 ?Just over 1k. In fact, it rolled over 1k on my ride to the dealer. I only owned the bike for 2 months. :eek:

Samer
September 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Doesn't give me a good feeling. I just bought my new Ninja 250 yesterday. I'm hoping to keep it for a year or more :confused: before I step up to the 600.

On my first ride I found myself trying to go up a gear when I was already at sixth! No complaints though, this bike is very fun and I have a lot to learn!

Strider
September 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
revstriker, the Ninja ZX-6R is one bad@ss bike :thumbup: Glad you stayed within the Ninja-zone, but your right, you WILL miss that 250!
I wouldn't trade for any other bike except another Ninja ... not even a CBR (although I have seen some TOUGH CBRs...)

Grn99Kawi
September 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
ZX6s are awesome bikes.. but not on my short list.. Im looking for something more of a sport tourer.. maybe a ZZR600, GSX650F, Ninja 650R (if I go twin) or Yamaha FZ6R... those are the new bikes I am considering.. but seeing as how I more than likely wont be able to afford new..

the potentials look more like a 2001-2002 ZX6R, 06-07 650R, 01-03 CBR600F4i or 97-03 Yamaha YZF600R..

Of course.. I might just say forget it all and stay with the Ninja 250.. who knows.. lots of research going on...

Sorry for the hijack!
Adam

andrewexd
September 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
my list

1. 07+ cbr600rr
2. daytona 675
3. ninja 650r

I've read the daytona 675 is uncomfortable and impractical for everyday use, otherwise I would probably get it. The 650 is the ugly one, not a fan of the huge rear and the one piece seat. The cbr is best of both worlds without a slipper clutch and a gear indicator which would make it perfect. I know they can both be had for extra money but not worth it imo. and of course I say this without having ridden on any of them. I would consider the gsxr / zx6r if I could afford a new one, although even if I could i probably wouldn't get a new bike.

MKlein3004
September 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
hey andrew, you can get a seat cover for that 650 which makes it look 10x better IMO, its targa seat cowl, look i up on google images.

revstriker, i get the job in uvalde, so i dont know about another ride before i leave, maybe on like wednesday or something, but congrats man, hope your happy with your new purchase.

andrewexd
September 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
yeah I've seen the targa, it still looks a little funky. I can't pinpoint it, maybe its the fairings ?

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Doesn't give me a good feeling. I just bought my new Ninja 250 yesterday. I'm hoping to keep it for a year or more :confused: before I step up to the 600.

On my first ride I found myself trying to go up a gear when I was already at sixth! No complaints though, this bike is very fun and I have a lot to learn!The 250 is still a great bike. If I didn't get a good deal on the zx6r, I would have been more than happy to hang on to the 250 for a while longer.

Since I did a lot of riding on roads were the speed limit was 60+ mph, I too found myself looking for a higher gear every now and then. Especially when I first started riding it. But you do get used to it.

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
ZX6s are awesome bikes.. but not on my short list.. Im looking for something more of a sport tourer.. maybe a ZZR600, GSX650F, Ninja 650R (if I go twin) or Yamaha FZ6R... those are the new bikes I am considering.. but seeing as how I more than likely wont be able to afford new..

the potentials look more like a 2001-2002 ZX6R, 06-07 650R, 01-03 CBR600F4i or 97-03 Yamaha YZF600R..

Of course.. I might just say forget it all and stay with the Ninja 250.. who knows.. lots of research going on...

Sorry for the hijack!
AdamNo hijack. After all, this is a thread about changing bikes in a forum designated to people who have changed bikes. :)

I had a few bikes on my short list but the zx6r came out on top. But yes, it is not a tourer. Now if I could get my wife interested in riding, I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of tourer bikes for taking some semi long trip with. But unfortunately, I don't think I can convince her to learn to ride.

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM
my list

1. 07+ cbr600rr
2. daytona 675
3. ninja 650r

I've read the daytona 675 is uncomfortable and impractical for everyday use, otherwise I would probably get it. The 650 is the ugly one, not a fan of the huge rear and the one piece seat. The cbr is best of both worlds without a slipper clutch and a gear indicator which would make it perfect. I know they can both be had for extra money but not worth it imo. and of course I say this without having ridden on any of them. I would consider the gsxr / zx6r if I could afford a new one, although even if I could i probably wouldn't get a new bike.I thought about both the cbr600 and the daytona 675. I heard the same thing about the daytona being uncomfortable. In fact, there is a youtube video which compares the 09 zx6r to the daytona 675. I like the 650r. I don't even mind the seat. I was just looking for something a little more sportier.

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 06:42 AM
revstriker, i get the job in uvalde, so i dont know about another ride before i leave, maybe on like wednesday or something, but congrats man, hope your happy with your new purchase. Thanks.

Unfortunately, with Monday being a holiday, that means my Tue-Fri will be that much busier so I am anticipating some late nights. Don't think Wed would work for me. But congrats on the new job! Hopefully you'll find some nice twistys down there! If you do get back up this way with your bike, let me know and we can go for a ride.

noche_caliente
September 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
congrats on the new bike Scott, but sorry to see another one leave the fold! Please be careful on the new bike! (and update your profile ;) )

backinthesaddleagain
September 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
How bout honda blowing out 2008 cbr1000 for $8K. Some reports of oil burning though. And for me insurance would go up 500 percent.
Posted via Mobile Device

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Not a bad deal for that bike! :thumbup:

Pics of the new bike:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/revstriker/zx6r1.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/revstriker/zx6r2.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/revstriker/zx6r3.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/revstriker/zx6r4.jpg

Grn99Kawi
September 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
wow.. excuse me while I wipe the drool off the laptop...

AnarchoMoltov
September 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I thought about both the cbr600 and the daytona 675. I heard the same thing about the daytona being uncomfortable. In fact, there is a youtube video which compares the 09 zx6r to the daytona 675. I like the 650r. I don't even mind the seat. I was just looking for something a little more sportier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-UrNpvjVo&feature=related

addy126
September 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Congrats on the 6R!!!! Tell me how much did your insurance rate go up? I may upgrade next year and the 250 has been so darn cheap all the way around.

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-UrNpvjVo&feature=related That's the one! :)

revstriker
September 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Congrats on the 6R!!!! Tell me how much did your insurance rate go up? I may upgrade next year and the 250 has been so darn cheap all the way around.Don't know yet. I have to wait until Tuesday to call my broker. I'm sure it will be quite a bit more than the 250.

Greg_E
September 7th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I find it hard to believe that they can't come up with a DOT legal fender that looks better than that. Even an over size hugger should meet the requirements and would look a lot better than what they gave us.

GreezMunky
September 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Just over 1k. In fact, it rolled over 1k on my ride to the dealer. I only owned the bike for 2 months. :eek:

*sighs, face palm* :banghead:

I've read the daytona 675 is uncomfortable and impractical for everyday use, otherwise I would probably get it.

:blah: *shakes head*

My work is done here.

revstriker
September 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I find it hard to believe that they can't come up with a DOT legal fender that looks better than that. Even an over size hugger should meet the requirements and would look a lot better than what they gave us. Yeah, it's certainly not the bike's best feature. When I get a free afternoon, I will probably construct some kind of DIY fender eliminator.

andrewexd
September 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
*sighs, face palm* :banghead:

:blah: *shakes head*

My work is done here.

well is it ?

GreezMunky
September 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
well is it ?

It is, because with those smilies it says it all. Now I could waste my time and and type out everything I mean by those smilies, but why? What's the chance you're even going to listen? :rolleyes:

So I will continue with the smilies. ;) They say it so much nicer than me. :thumbup:

andrewexd
September 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM
lol whatever

Grn99Kawi
September 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I can understand both sides of the arguement.. on one hand.. 1K miles and 2 months of riding might not be sufficient experience to handle a ZX6R... BUT.. on the other hand... riding ability and talent is so subjective.. there are people that have ridding 5K miles and quite frankly can't ride.. or at least they don't know how to get out of dangerous situations and deal with concentrating, avoiding distractions etc.. and then someone with 1K miles might be ready just based on experiences outside of motorcycles..

I learned to ride my bike by hopping on it and riding.. 800 miles later I took the MSF to learn how to ride 'correctly'. Am I a great rider? No.. I'm good but I'm learning to be better.. would I be okay on a ZX6R? Probably.. but then again I don't know if I trust myself with that much throttle cable lol...

If andrew feels that he is ready for the ZX6R after the time he has had on the 250R.. well then best of luck to you bud.. I hope you keep the shiny side up and be as careful as ever. I can't tell you you aren't ready.. and neither can anyone else.. you live with your own decisions and I hope you made the right one (again.. not saying either is right or wrong).

Enjoy and be safe

Grn99Kawi
September 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that they can't come up with a DOT legal fender that looks better than that. Even an over size hugger should meet the requirements and would look a lot better than what they gave us.

Oddly enough the ZX10R has a nice hugger.. and that rear fender too though..
http://motorracing.getpaidfrom.us/files/2008/04/kawasaki-ninja-zx-10r.jpg

tinng321
September 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
very nice.
congrat.
for some reasons, black makes the bike looks smaller.

the zx6r would be my 2nd choice after the r6.

andrewexd
September 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I can understand both sides of the arguement.. on one hand.. 1K miles and 2 months of riding might not be sufficient experience to handle a ZX6R... BUT.. on the other hand... riding ability and talent is so subjective.. there are people that have ridding 5K miles and quite frankly can't ride.. or at least they don't know how to get out of dangerous situations and deal with concentrating, avoiding distractions etc.. and then someone with 1K miles might be ready just based on experiences outside of motorcycles..

I learned to ride my bike by hopping on it and riding.. 800 miles later I took the MSF to learn how to ride 'correctly'. Am I a great rider? No.. I'm good but I'm learning to be better.. would I be okay on a ZX6R? Probably.. but then again I don't know if I trust myself with that much throttle cable lol...

If andrew feels that he is ready for the ZX6R after the time he has had on the 250R.. well then best of luck to you bud.. I hope you keep the shiny side up and be as careful as ever. I can't tell you you aren't ready.. and neither can anyone else.. you live with your own decisions and I hope you made the right one (again.. not saying either is right or wrong).

Enjoy and be safe

me ? I never said im ready for anything.

Grn99Kawi
September 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
oops... sorry bro.. I was talking about revstriker... I just read one of your other posts and it must have been fresh on my mind or something

almost40
September 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
ZX6s are awesome bikes.. but not on my short list.. Im looking for something more of a sport tourer.. maybe a ZZR600, GSX650F, Ninja 650R (if I go twin) or Yamaha FZ6R...

I just bought a used FZ-6 skip the FZ6R and get the FZ-6 if you are so inclined. WAY WAY BETTER. There was an FZ-6R at my last track day and although they are good looking they are not that much faster down the straight than our little 250.(we wont even get into how it does in the twisties) I also like the ZZR over the 650 as it is a Fine machine. Skip the GSX (way way to top heavy)
The GSX is the most comfortable with the 650 in a close second but bang for the buck in the sport touring market you cant beat the FZ-6. Be prepared to spend a few bucks on the suspension if your planning on track riding it. As far as horsepower goes no need to spend in that department. Its got PLENTY.

revstriker
September 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Enjoy and be safeJust to be clear, I only had the 250 for 2 months and put 1,000 miles on it. However, I started riding in 1983 and my first bike was a 650 which I probably put about 20k miles on. I've also ridden lots of standards and cruisers before.

I just don't want anyone to think that I believe 2 months of riding experience is sufficient to move up to a zx6r. But I agree that it depends on the rider.

Cali619
September 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Just to be clear, I only had the 250 for 2 months and put 1,000 miles on it. However, I started riding in 1983 and my first bike was a 650 which I probably put about 20k miles on. I've also ridden lots of standards and cruisers before.

I just don't want anyone to think that I believe 2 months of riding experience is sufficient to move up to a zx6r. But I agree that it depends on the rider.

Case is closed, people need to stop hatin and start congratulatin when people get new rides. I think peeps assumed to much and dissed that fact that this man has gotten what makes him happy, even if it was his first ride ever its lame to tell people oh your a noob or your not ready etc. Give people encouragement but to ride safe..... You can eat as much crap on any size bike no matter how experienced or safe you are, theres to many variables to mention.

backinthesaddleagain
September 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Case is closed, people need to stop hatin and start congratulatin when people get new rides. I think peeps assumed to much and dissed that fact that this man has gotten what makes him happy, even if it was his first ride ever its lame to tell people oh your a noob or your not ready etc. Give people encouragement but to ride safe..... You can eat as much crap on any size bike no matter how experienced or safe you are, theres to many variables to mention.

+1 tragically someone near my house was killed on a scooter the other day, odn't think it was too much scooter for him.

GreezMunky
September 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Just to be clear, I only had the 250 for 2 months and put 1,000 miles on it. However, I started riding in 1983 and my first bike was a 650 which I probably put about 20k miles on. I've also ridden lots of standards and cruisers before.

Now the case is closed with those statements. :thumbup: