View Full Version : Seized ignition with steering locked

Superfly
December 7th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone. I have a problem and i can't seem to find any help online. So my ignition seized up. I can put the key in but can't turn it. It is stuck in lock position making it impossible to remove the whole assembly to replace it with the new one i bought. Any ideas would be awesome.

verboten1
December 8th, 2016, 06:47 AM
PB blaster should free up stuck tumblers.

Triple Jim
December 8th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Right, and in case the steering lock mechanism is part of the problem, you might try turnling the handlebar back and forth while you try to turn the key.

Ralgha
December 8th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Right, and in case the steering lock mechanism is part of the problem, you might try turnling the handlebar back and forth while you try to turn the key.

This is what I would try first. I don't know the mechanics of the mechanism, but if there's pressure being put on it bar the bars, it might be holding it in place and preventing the key from being turned.

Triple Jim
December 8th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Actually, the pin that does the locking may be corroded or otherwise hard to move, so spraying some oil on that pin might help it retract. You can see it near the top front of the head tube.

DmbShn41
December 14th, 2016, 02:34 PM
This happens to my original 250 when I bought brand new, only 300 miles on it. Had to tow back to dealership, they had for 5 weeks replacing the ignition/lock set, excuse was that parts were in low supply at the time. I bought an 08 brand new in April of 08.