View Full Version : Need knee/shin armor, which to choose?

Voodoo Rufus
September 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
The knee guards that I bought with my Draggin Jeans do not breathe nor fit very well when standing and walking, so I'm looking for knee/shin armor that will attach to my legs underneath my jeans while retaining protection and some semblance of comfort for a days worth of riding.

I'm looking at the following three options and am looking for opinions. I'm willing to spend $100 on whatever I end up choosing, which encompasses all of the below. Which would you choose and why?

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/alpinestars/bionic_motorcycle_knee_guards.html
http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/alpinestars/reflex_motorcycle_knee_guards.html
http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body/icon/field_armor_leg.html

I don't really like the "bionic knee guards" because they don't protect the majority of the shin area. The "reflex" guards look like the best choice of the three to me. Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks all.

emt250
September 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
http://www.motostrano.com/tparknpr.html

or

http://www.motostrano.com/tpfolitu.html

or

http://www.knox-armour.co.uk/lower_range.html

I'm planning on buying some Tpro as soon as money allows. Either the full pants or shins and shorts(also on the motostrano).
I've heard that as far as motorcycle armor goes, Tpro is the best. I don't have the data (im sure Purspeed can provide it if he reads this) but I think its some of the only CE level 2 stuff out there. For what it is, its not that expensive either.

Oh, and I've heard that knox is pretty decent stuff too.

websniper
September 6th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I have a pair of the reflex. I also have fairly short legs overall, but they just so fit into the tops of my boots when I have the knee cup positioned correctly. Between my A* Effex boots and the Reflex guards, my knees are fully covered. They are pretty decent for the price.

Most people complain that they're not secured at the knee, but the pants I wear them under (Sliders Jeans, way more kevlar coverage than any other riding jean or pant that I've seen, better looking cut and color too) hold the knee cup in place.

I'm honestly probably going to buy a pair of the short Knox Cross Knee guards soon, they'll, as I can barely close the tops of my boots with the A* guard. Otherwise, they do still feel pretty protective and they're not terribly hot.

sharky nrk
September 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
i have the A* reflex and they are decent for what they are - but i do think i will end up with and upgraded set after a while

Voodoo Rufus
September 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM
That T-Pro limb tube sounds pretty nice. I'll seriously consider those.

P1NDLESK1N
September 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have the Icon leg armor and they're very comfortable. When wearing them the shin armor tends to sit on a tendon right above your foot, but the knee armor is perfectly centered on a lowside's point of impact -I know because I still had my scab there. :o

I would highly recommend them comfort-wise, but they leave the lower thigh section right above your knee a little unprotected. I'm not to worried about it though.

AnarchoMoltov
September 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm 6'0 160 lbs.. and the icon field armor knee and shin guards do not work for me..They are made for people with larger calves..They would slide down, leaving knee unprotected, pain in the ass always adjusting them so I just returned um...

addy126
September 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I have the Icon leg armor and they're very comfortable. When wearing them the shin armor tends to sit on a tendon right above your foot, but the knee armor is perfectly centered on a lowside's point of impact -I know because I still had my scab there. :o

I would highly recommend them comfort-wise, but they leave the lower thigh section right above your knee a little unprotected. I'm not to worried about it though.

I agree wiith you Pindle..... I love mine, light enuff in the heat and hides under the jeans/cargo's comfortable enuff, price point okay as anything can happen between now and waiting to afford an expensive brand. Protection is fair enuff for now.

sharky nrk
September 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'm 6'0 160 lbs.. and the icon field armor knee and shin guards do not work for me..They are made for people with larger calves..They would slide down, leaving knee unprotected, pain in the ass always adjusting them so I just returned um...

lol, its called calf raises. Try them sometime.

j/k of course. alot of these are very generic in size, see if a local dealership has some and try them on to test the fit and then buy online

Momaru
September 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I've been wearing the Icon Field Armor ATGATT style for about 8 months now. I'm 5'7" and 140 lbs, with thin calves like Anarcho. However I just added a little velcro to each of the straps & tuck 'em in to my boots and they stay quite well.

I seriously forget I'm wearing them most of the time (ask my girlfriend, couple of awkward stories there :D) to the point I don't even bother taking them off at work. The outermost clear plastic layer has shredded a tad (like that clear plastic wrap on the front of a new microwave) from me constantly kneeling on them in gravel (I'll try to post some pics later tonight) but they're still solid, comfy and stay exactly where they need to be.

TrueFaith
September 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I think I've tried them all. For hard shell full coverage I've found the THOR Force knee/shin guards to be about the best made. The worst were the FOX Raptors, really flimsy and cheaply constructed. Most of the full coverage ones get so hot and uncomfortable you're tempted not to wear them at times. What I finally ended up using most were a pair of EVS knee guards I bought used off eBay. They are fairly unobtrusive and comfortable and go on and off easily. They've rebranded the model as "Travis Pastrana Knee Guards". but they're the same thing:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/8/32/12342/ITEM/EVS-Youth-SC03-Pastrana-Knee-Guards.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_032&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=12342

noche_caliente
September 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I seriously forget I'm wearing them most of the time (ask my girlfriend, couple of awkward stories there :D) to the point I don't even bother taking them off at work.

I don't think I want to know ;)

Voodoo Rufus
September 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ok, now I'm torn between the Thor Force and the Tpro limb tube.

The Tpro looks more comfortable and protects the knee and the shin where the Thor is more of a motocross protector with full 360 coverage. Is it overkill for street use or is nothing overkill for us? I kind of think that protecting the muscle in the rear is just as important as the bone in front.

ScorpionNinja
September 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I just bought the KNOX Knee Cross Guards (long) for $69.95 last week!

Havent used them yet Riding. Thou ive worn them around the house for 2-3 hours and my knees and shins feel good and comfy still. Well see when i test em out out for a Ride!

-ttyl
dave

cifex
September 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Icon Field Leg Armor - tested em out this past Sunday in a low speed (10-15mph) slide. I didn't feel a thing and my legs don't have a mark on em. I would definitely recommend combined with the use of textile pants. In a long slide, the knee cup will likely move and stop protecting from abrasion.

Scott1620
September 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I just got the Icon Field Leg Armor but have yet to ride with them on, the straps could be tighter on the bottom but i can probably fix that by sewing more velcrow to the strap.... (im 5 10 about 145 lbs so the bottom of my legs are fairly skinny). I plan to wear it under the shift racing jeans that have the kevlar abrasion resistance parts...