View Full Version : so.. ninja lowsided... questions about fixes!!

boyonfire
September 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
The damage: scratched fairing, shift lever bent awkwardly, (both) handle bar inserts bent toward the gas tank, and the signal light got ripped right off.

The result: The shift lever makes it super hard to my foot to get under it and shift, and the bar inserts pinch my fingers when I turn.

The solution? Being cheap and a student, is it possible to bend the handle bar inserts and the shift lever back to their original positions without further damaging them? I hope I don't have to replace them :ashamed20:

kkim
September 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The shift lever can possibly be straightened out. remove it from the bike and use a vice and a hammer carefully pound it back into shape, depending on how badly bent it is.

pics would help.

boyonfire
September 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I will try that kkim. And as far as pics go, my ninja is at a friend's house across the bay bridge, and my knee is injured. I will try to post some up asap.

How about straightening the handlebars too?

Does anyone know if I could use these as replacements? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/20990/ITEM/Vortex-Replacement-Bar.aspx

CRXTrek
September 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know if I could use these as replacements? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/20990/ITEM/Vortex-Replacement-Bar.aspx

Not for stock replacement,but if you had clip-ons sure.

Verus Cidere
September 8th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Look on ebay. For pregens, there's a ton of used replacement parts available for much cheaper than new parts. Check it out, you might get lucky. Good luck on the fix, and heal up soon! :D

smcbride11
September 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Like Kelly mentions, the shifter's an easy fix. You may need to use a pipe to help leverage it to bend it back, but it's not a big deal.

The stock handlebars and turn signal cost about $80 and $40 respectively, and they're quick replacements. The fairing you can likely live with.

noche_caliente
September 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I second ebay as a source for parts. I hope the knee heals up soon - look for my oops thread if you need someone to commiserate with :)