View Full Version : Jon Broom injured

Pages : [1] 2

ROADandTRACK
September 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I just wanted to let you guys know that Jon Broom was injured during practice before saturdays CMRA Mini Endurance race.

Here is a link to the info.

Please keep him in your thoughts and/or prayers.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=125644144678

Greg_E
September 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Wow, it sounds bad:(

Hope he makes it through and recovers soon.

kkim
September 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Oh, crap. :(

Will be praying for him.

Momaru
September 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Wow, I'm very glad he was in his gear, that sounds like a heck of an accident. :frown:

Praying for swift return to health and consciousness.

randomwalk101
September 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
wow...get well soon Broom..

Alex
September 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Damn! Hang in there, Broom!

Sailariel
September 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
OK, Ninjette Family--we now have Becky and Jon on our prayer list Get well soon,Jon.

andrewexd
September 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
dang, get well Broom.

Tigress
September 8th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I'm sending a prayer up for Jon now.

almost40
September 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Damn, that sucks. Hope you heal up well and fast. You will be in my prayers Broom

camaroz1985
September 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hang in there Jon, and know that we are all pulling for your quick recovery.

OldGuy
September 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
What a shock it was to read about Jon. He and his family will be in our prayers. I know he will come back stronger than ever.

sofo
September 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Get well soon Broom.

rockNroll
September 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Prayers out to you, Broom

KJohnson21
September 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Yikes! I hope he comes through OK.

sharky nrk
September 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM
wow, definately praying for God's healing and a swift recovery

noche_caliente
September 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I know he'll pull through - he's a fighter. Hang in there Jon!

Shift250R
September 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
wow... I hope you get well soon Jon. I pray you make a quick and full recovery.

wayanlam
September 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
oh no :( what a terrible fall.

best wishes on the recovery, my prayers to you and your family Jon.
the latest update looks promising, so your on the right track! keep it up :)

ninjabrewer
September 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Get well soon dude, the forum just ain't the same without you.

nb

Strider
September 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Damn! Not Broom too...
Oh man, hang in there and get well soon!
we're praying for you!

madcrossover
September 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hope you get well soon, sad to hear when the good guys\gals go down! Will be praying for a speedy recovery! :(

Daeldren
September 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hope its a quick recovery Broom, get well

Boywonder
September 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Get well soon, Jon.

Ash
September 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You in my thoughts Jon. Best wishes for a swift recovery.

miks
September 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Best wishes for a quick recovery Broom, get well soon mate :thumbup:

backinthesaddleagain
September 9th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Get well soon Broom.

rockNroll
September 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I just wanted to let you guys know that Jon Broom was injured during practice before saturdays CMRA Mini Endurance race.

Here is a link to the info.

Please keep him in your thoughts and/or prayers.

If you go to this link, there's a link there to donate money via paypal to help Jon's family out ... just wanted to point this out so everyone knows.

Ken
September 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Get well soon Jon.

MKlein3004
September 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hang in there Broom, get well soon

talldrink
September 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Get well soon Broom!

noche_caliente
September 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
...there's a link there to donate money via paypal to help Jon's family out ... just wanted to point this out so everyone knows.

http://jonbroom.com/getwelljon/

wayanlam
September 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM

woah, no heath insurance? or isnt it covering all the costs etc? i really hope broom doesnt get restricted medical attention due to lack of funds...

again, best wishes on the recovery, to you and all you family who are watching over ya till your back on your feet.

paterick4o8
September 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Broom! Get well! Hang in there!

green.saki
September 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Damn, sorry to hear this! Jon, I hope you get better man! Many prayers for you and your family!

gizmogamez
September 10th, 2009, 07:11 AM
stay strong and get well soon buddy.

Flashmonkey
September 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Oh no....

Best wishes to Broom and his family.

RaceBikeRentals
September 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Ah hell.... I hate hearing news like this. :(

I hope Jon heals quickly and his family and friends stay strong.

lockie
September 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Want to add another voice of surprise and concern. The more the better.

It always touches each one of us when we hear of a rider down and injured.

Take care everyone and lets hope all turns out well. We'll all be keeping in touch.

backinthesaddleagain
September 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
from the facebook page 9/11/09

!!! We started a fund to help Jon's family.

8:00am - Jon is still stable. He is still posturing due to the brain injury, but no major changes. His eyes are still closed and he is breathing at an average level of 2 over the trach tube ventilator (you and I breathe at a 21). The physical therapists are scheduled to come in at 10:00am to perform tests.

9:10am - The doctor just talked with his mother Lori and grandmother Amy. He said Jon's neck is definitely broken and they will have to perform surgery within the next 4-6 weeks. He said "this is not going to be short-term". Meaning, Jon will have long term effects whatever they may be and that it will be a long journey to therapeutic recovery. Keep in mind, that many doctors can say one thing and the patient comes out another way. All comas are unique and individualistic. Results can come out either way.

via: Penny Kim

UPDATE: 11: 15 a.m.- Jon's doctors have put in an order to get him transferred to Lifecare Plano today. Lori has just signed the initial paperwork to begin this transfer. The doctors think Jon's lungs look healthy enough now to successfully move him. With that being said, visitation may be cut short today. If you were planning on visiting today, you may want to hold off until more information is provided. Thank you all for your continued support. I have posted a link below for Lifecare Plano so that you can also learn about Jon's next step in his journey.

Strider
September 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM
from the facebook page 9/11/09 (added)

3:30pm - LifeCare Plano is ready to take Jon but his insurance paperwork is holding off his transfer until Monday, September 14th. We still welcome visitors until then.

Strider
September 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know if we can send cards and letters?

noche_caliente
September 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know if we can send cards and letters?

Hospital Info:
Harris Methodist Hospital
1301 Pennsylvania
Ft Worth 76104
Tower: Bloxom
Room: B207

noche_caliente
September 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
from the facebook page 9/11/09 (added)

3:30pm - LifeCare Plano is ready to take Jon but his insurance paperwork is holding off his transfer until Monday, September 14th. We still welcome visitors until then.

4:15pm - The Harris social worker said LifeCare Plano is going to send an ambulance to pick up Jon tomorrow at 9:00am (the insurance paperwork went through ok) to be transferred to their facility. If you had originally planned to visit today, go ahead and come. Otherwise, please hang tight on visitation until Jon settles in Plano. We will give you updates and new hospital info as we get it. Sorry for the back and forth; we're updating news and changes as soon as we receive them.

cifex
September 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Geez, that's terrible. I saw this a couple days ago but it didn't quite click. I just assumed it was about a motogp racer or something. Hope you're back in action soon!

smcbride11
September 11th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Oh, man.

Get well soon, Jon, and best wishes to you and your family!

Blue Monkey
September 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Man this sucks, i know Jon loved the track. I hope he gets better. I will put you in my prayers along with Becky.

VeX
September 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
AhhH! This is the first I saw this thread. :( Good luck Broom! Something tells me in a couple of months once he's healed up he's going to be right back to the track :p He's a trooper.

Verus Cidere
September 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Get well soon Broom! :(

TnNinjaGirl
September 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Best wishes Jon and family. Hopefully his family stays strong and everyone can overcome this ordeal. Thoughts and prayers are sent out.

NorCal_250R
September 12th, 2009, 12:27 PM
AhhH! This is the first I saw this thread. :( Good luck Broom! Something tells me in a couple of months once he's healed up he's going to be right back to the track :p He's a trooper.

Unfortunately I believe the injuries are worse than just a simple heal and go...they will need long term care...so sad...makes me more aware everytime I get on my bike now...even if 250's are "safer" racing, there really is no such thing...

Here's to Jon and his speedy recovery...:thumbup:

noche_caliente
September 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
12:45pm - Jon is now at LifeCare Plano at Tennyson Pkwy and Preston Rd, Room 119. Visitation for friends are from 9:00am - 9:00pm every day. He is stable; we've seen him yawn and slightly open his eyelids a few times. He is still not awake from his coma but we are making progress. The pulmonary doctor and respiratory therapist will start working on him Monday.

4:45pm - Dr. Hughes (medical director) just put in Jon's order. They are going to start the process of weening him off the ventilator tomorrow.

Strider
September 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM
via an email from Penny :
Here's Jon's new hospital address

Jon Broom , Room 119
c/o LifeCare Plano
6800 Preston Rd
Plano, TX 75024-2505

Let's all send Jon a Get Well card or letter
He needs our support :)

kkim
September 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
8:20am - Jon did a fantastic job of breathing on his own last night for 4 hours. By routine, they put him back on this morning at a level of 8 and will gradually ween him off again throughout the day. He has been slightly opening his eyes more often and his pupils are gradually responding to movement and light.

4:00pm - Jon's still good; weening off the vent and has been breathing on his own for the past 8 hours. He is stable with a normal temperature and the RN and RT says his skin color is looking much better.

6:30pm - Jon just past 8 hours breathing on his own. Dr. Mitchell read Jon's EEG and said his results are good with no abnormal problems he can see right now. His brain is healing with continuity. He didn't respond to the strobe light tests, but they will perform another EEG within a few days to see any changes. This is phenomenal news.

thinking of you, Jon. Go man, GO!!!!

komohana
September 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
good news indeed!

cifex
September 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Good to hear!
Posted via Mobile Device

camaroz1985
September 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Great news. Keeping you in our prayers Jon.

backinthesaddleagain
September 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM
great news!!!!!

zartan
September 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Checking in on him everyday expecting the best!!!

Ash
September 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Great news!

lockie
September 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Yes this is good news for all of us. Great to hear of the improvements.

HKr1
September 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers, Get well soon!

RaceBikeRentals
September 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Keep pullin, Jon! Great news!

kkim
September 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
10:00am - Jon did a fantastic job yesterday breathing on his own and is off the ventilator again this morning for another trial.

11:00am- Jon was a little resistant to his exercises this morning (his arms and legs were tense when they were trying to bend them) however, his aunt noticed that his eyes were tracking her for a little bit while she paced the room. We've also noticed for the first time a new facial expression. He has a little curling of the upper lip (almost like a snarl) and an angry brow. This could be in response to his pain or possibly some agitation and anger. We're not sure but either way this is a good sign of his improved responses to stimuli.

3:00pm - They've given Jon some morphine and he is now more relaxed and resting. He is still breathing on his own. The nurses want him to have some quiet time so we've left him alone at the moment and will return later this evening.

RaceBikeRentals
September 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the update, Kelly. Sounds like all good news.

Jerry
September 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I haven't been here long, and I can't say I *know* Jon Broom...but

He is with me, I'm thinking about him every time I ride, I'm wishing him well at every turn.

He's helping me try to ride safer, for my wife and my kids...(my heart goes out to his family...it's gotta be hard...can't imagine, but I'm trying..)

He's inspiring me with his struggle to return to us, to his family...I know he is there, and he is trying to come back...I have to believe he will...I have to.

I'm pulling for him, every day...I have to believe he will ride again...

Can't say I'm a religious guy, but I do believe..."but for the grace of God, there am I"

I'm pulling for the man, I want to see that beard and baseball cap saying "take to to the track"

Then all will be right again.

Much love sent your way, Broom family,

Jerry

g21-30
September 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Jon, my prayers are with you and your family! Can't wait to hear that you're back on the track doing what you love.

Sailariel
September 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Kelly, That is great news about Jon. Let`s pray that those EEG`s stay within normal limits. The brain heals best when "asleep", which is why doctors sometimes induce a coma. The picture is looking better and better. Another good sign is that they are using Morphine. That not only does an excellent job with pain, but it also drastically slows down fluid production in the lungs (big cause of pneumonia) Sounds like he is in very capable hands. Will keep the prayers coming.

kkim
September 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hospital Info:

LifeCare Plano
6800 Preston Rd
Plano, TX 75024-2505
(214) 473-8822
Room 119

Visiting hours:
9:00am - 9:00pm every day

JON'S BRAIN INJURY PROGRAM SCHEDULE:

7:00am - Respiratory Therapy
8:00am - rest
9:00am - Occupational/Physical Therapy
10:00am - Speech Therapy
11:00am - Barton Chair/Respiratory Therapy
12:00pm - rest
1:00pm - rest
2:00pm - rest
3:00pm - Speech/Respiratory Therapy
4:00pm - rest
5:00pm - rest
6:00pm - rest
7:00pm - Respiratory Therapy

Buffalony
September 18th, 2009, 01:37 PM
OMG. WTF. gone for a month an Brooms down. Sh!t Dude. Ive always thought of Broom as a cool guy. This sucks to hear this has happened. rrr. He def. has a Journey ahead of him.. He'll be back in the saddle with another sweet arse Jacket and joining us on the forums again. COME ON BROOM. Get well dood.

OldGuy
September 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for posting the updates Kelly - that is great news that Jon is making such fantastic progress. Getting off the ventilator is a big step. I wish we could reach out and give he and his family a hug.

Strider
September 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
He seems to be doing well by Penny's postings on facebook ...
We'll keep praying for you Jon!

Strider
September 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Via Penny's posting on Facebook

12:30pm - Just spoke with Dr. Mitchell about Jon's second MRI. He says that overall, his brain has shown improvement and healing, especially the subdural hematoma. He said that the axons in his brain have been sheared/affected (which came from the centrifugal force) but this is common with traumatic brain injuries (and we were already informed of the shearing at Harris). Jon has also developed cerebral edema (excess accumulation of water in the intracellular and/or extracellular spaces of the brain) but the doctor is not too concerned with this as it is also common with TBI. When I asked him what areas of his brain functions have been affected, he said that Jon's motor skills and vision may be impaired but we'll have a better idea once Jon is at a higher cognitive level and can start more aggressive therapy.
Dr. Mitchell seems optimistic and overall satisfied with Jon's progress. According to the most recent x-ray, the doctor said that within 2 weeks they should be able to remove Jon's neck brace as his neck fractures have not affected his spine. I'm assuming that he still needs surgery on his neck, but it must not be too serious of an injury if Dr. Mitchell says he won't need the brace much longer. He also said that Jon's head stitches from the ICP monitor should be removed within the week. Jon will receive another EEG next week.

1:30pm - All is well with Jon. He has shown more consistency with keeping his eyes open (his tracking is still delayed and inconsistent). He is still doing a phenomenal job breathing on his own and all body levels are normal.

Greg_E
September 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
7:30pm - Dr. Mitchell just spoke to Lori, Jon's uncle John and I again over his MRI results. To clarify, Jon's ligaments and bones in his neck are healing well where the doctor may remove his neck brace within a couple of weeks. We'll see how it continues and heals before the doctor makes a firm decision. He confirmed that Jon's MRI is good compared to most in this state and again says that he is happy with Jon's progress. The next step we all want to look for is consistent eye tracking. He did also say that we should expect several months for recovery.

zartan
September 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yes the body takes a bit to heal. I am so glad there are the words "Months and Recovery" are together in that paragraph. Keep up the good work Jon. I know you will read this someday soon. I read the blog everyday and am just amazed in what a great support system you have in your family and friends. It is truly freaking amazing. I just wonder how special you are. How special they are. also I just watched Talladega nights for the first time the other night. I laughed so hard at that part where he was in his healing sleep and his wacky friends were confiding all kinds of crazy stuff, while little known to them Ricky Bobby could hear them!! I thought of you and hope you have some great dirt on all your buddies :)!!
Keep on healing.. take your time, but hurry up.

Kevinnolde
September 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
We will have a bit of prayer and time for you this weekend at Oak Hill, we will miss you out there Jon.

Apex
September 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Was just informed of this. WOW :(

Get better soon Broom!

talldrink
September 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I was sittting in the hairdressers tonight and was reading the Philadelphia Weekly paper. Well, one of my favorite columns is Savage Love. Do you guys know about this? Dan Savage is often a guest on the Bill Maher show. Basically, it's a Dear Abby kind of column - except people ask questions regarding sexual issues. Anyway I was reading it and this was one of the letters:

"I'm writing to let you know that a huge fan and reader of your column has been in a coma since Sat., Sept. 5. He had a bad motorcycle accident and has a severe brain injury. His name is Jon Broom, and he's my boyfriend, the love of my life and my best friend. Even though he still hasn't woken up, I've been reading your columns out loud to him so that he never misses one. I know you're a busy man, but I thought I'd take a chance and ask if you could pass on his Facebook support group at "Get Well Jon" in one of your columns. I think it would be awesome for him to look back and see your column when he wakes up and is able to function again.

We appreciate your writings and support for the people who ask for your advice. Here's to hope, faith and community.
Penny Kim"

Wishing Jon and his family the very best. You all are in my prayers.

zartan
September 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I like this....

12:00pm - Jon showed some response today by opening his eyes when I touched his hand and spoke his name. He also tracked me with his eyes.

Strider
September 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I like this....

12:00pm - Jon showed some response today by opening his eyes when I touched his hand and spoke his name. He also tracked me with his eyes.

Yes! :thumbup:
Keep healing Jon!

Apex
September 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Yes! :thumbup:
Keep healing Jon!
That guy never stops impressing me.

zartan
October 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM
latest from the get well jon site

Good news about the fractures healing :)

6:30pm- Just spoke with Dr. Mitchell about Jon's latest CAT scan. He said everything looks good; the fractures in his neck are healing very well and his occipital fracture is almost fused back. If it completely heals on its own, Jon will not need surgery. Jon is going to keep the neck collar on for awhile to support this continued healing. The doctor will do another EEG tomorrow. If the new EEG results show no change compared to the last, the doctor will administer Provigil which is the drug that helps speed the waking process. If his EEG is better than the one before, then they will not give him the drug because Jon is making progress on his own. The new infections Jon contracted are normal and controllable, nothing to seriously worry about. Overall, the doctor says that he has not seen any significant change in Jon, he is still the same.

Blue Monkey
October 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the updates. I look for them often and hope to hear good news. Got him in my thoughts and prayers.

zartan
October 1st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Updates are being posted daily by his family

BlueTyke
October 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Oh dear oh dear!! This is... Just... Wow! Jon!! I am sorry to read this! Your in my thoughts and prayers!

I need to go get more cards now!!

Sailariel
October 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
A good CT Scan and a somewhat normal EEG is good news. When Jon wakes up he will have some work to do with the speech therapist, OT, and all that good stuff. Looks like a very optimistic picture to me. Will keep the prayers coming.

tiburonsita
October 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
He's fighting back bit by bit - it will be a long recovery but sounds like he's ready for it. Good to read about his progress! All the best to ya. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Greg_E
October 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
4:25pm- Ayden came up with his mommy Nadine and he is reading a book to his father. Jon cracked open his eyes to Ayden's voice and he is looking at him. He made a face of someone crying without tears. This was the strongest and most cognitive emotion we've seen so far from Jon.

I certainly hope this is promising. It could be random, but hopefully a willful action.

noche_caliente
October 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I was just coming to post that - it broke my heart to see :(

zartan
October 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hopefully it isn't random and a sign of recognition. You know when you are trying to remember something really hard we screw up our face a bit...
that is what I am shootin for.

kkim
October 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
11:25am - Jon's temperature has gone back down to normal. The pulmonologist said his lungs are clear with no abnormalities. We are still waiting on the the latest EEG results.

1:20pm- Jon seems to be doing better today: he has his eyes open and he is not sweating as profusely as before. We've noticed that both his arms are swelling, especially his left arm is substantially swollen: partly in due to the new picc line and the partly because of his continuous posturing.

backinthesaddleagain
October 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
This is a sad story. Hoping Jon pulls through. Also can't imagine the pain being felt by those close to him (especially his child).

Nemesis
October 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
My thoughts and prayers to Jon and family.

Just curious but is Jon Broom = VROOM?

BlueRaven
October 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Wow did realize that i was gone for so long. Get well Broom and my thoughts and prayers are with you :pray:

Snake
October 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I send my thoughts and prayers to Jon Broom and his family. Please get well.

camaroz1985
October 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
My thoughts and prayers to Jon and family.

Jon Broom = Broom on here if that's what you are asking.

It will be a good day when Jon can read this and see all the support he is getting. I'm sure Penny tells him of our support on here and on facebook.

kkim
October 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
12:30pm - Jon has been more alert this morning. For the first time, he responded to the occupational therapist when she asked him to relax his fingers and when she asked him to touch her finger which was on his thumb. He has been tracking Lori and I with his eyes and his temperature is normal. We are a little concerned with the swelling in Jon's arms and legs (around his knees) and the doctor is thinking about doing an ultrasound to make sure he has no blood clots.

1:15pm- They are doing a doppler (ultrasound) on Jon's legs now.

HKr1
October 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Last name, is his screen name here.

fastmark63
October 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Iam new here and i am very moved and see what tight bunch you guys are. To Mr Bloom keep fighting man! and to his family you will be in my prayers and to jon again I hope we will chat on this sight very soon ,because many people here say great things about you ! ....and thank you kim for bringing the reports of jon's continuing recovery Mark

Alex
October 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM
This picture was the one that popped up when I logged in tonight:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/546624134_cQQVp-XL.jpg

Made me smile; this looks like a happy time for Jon and Penny not so long ago. I hope they are back to these happy times sooner rather than later...

noche_caliente
October 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
On facebook today it said that his mom saw movement of his left hand/fingers for the first time since the accident - things are looking up for him... now if he'll just wake up!

backinthesaddleagain
October 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
On facebook today it said that his mom saw movement of his left hand/fingers for the first time since the accident - things are looking up for him... now if he'll just wake up!

Keep on progressing Jon!

Syphen
October 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Hope Jon gets better soon! Been following it and its looking good.

Snake
October 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Wer'e all pulling for ya jon!!!

Majik
October 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I am new and was just reading some of Jon's earlier posts and replies. I have just found out about his accident. Jon..you have a lot of people that care for you and everyone, including me, is praying for a God~speed recovery.

Apex
October 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM
John better get better soon. Once he does and he is ready to ride again, I'm heading up to big D to do a track day with him. :)

kkim
October 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM
10/15
8:30pm - Jon did not react much to our visit tonight. He seemed lethargic and "worn out". His body temperature was normal tonight, around 98.

via: Penny

10/16
12:00 pm-Jon still appears to be more "worn out" this afternoon. He did have eyes open for a bit and was responsive, but for the most part he seemed to be "dozing in and out". His calves look normal again, but the swelling in his thighs is still prominent. No fever. No sweats. All in all, he seems to be catching up on rest after a few days of consistent alertness and agitation. Since today has been so sunny and cheerful, I decided to bring in a Bikini Girls & Guns 2010 calender for his viewing enjoyment . I hope Penny doesn't mind. ;)

via: Nadine Diaz

zartan
October 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I would sure like to see that temp stay down!!

kkim
October 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
10/17:
11:00am - Jon looks better since I last saw him. He currently has his eyes closed but the swelling in his arms have gone down to almost where it's unnoticeable. He still has minimal swelling in his legs but they've also gone down considerably.

9:00pm - Jon had his eyes open and I showed him our Peru book. He looked at the pictures and followed my finger to where I pointed. His last temperature check read 100 but he seems comfortable.

10/18
10:30am - According to Dr. Patel, they started Jon on Provigil (the drug that helps the waking process) a couple of days ago. They want to see how he responds to the drug. The doctor also mentioned that they are going to take x-rays of Jon's hands and arms and possibly consider Botox to help alleviate the posturing. He said the swelling in Jon's arms and legs have gone down (mentioned before) and that they will continue to give him antibiotics to fight off possible infections. Unfortunately, he also mentioned that the insurance company is pressuring Jon's discharge into another skilled nursing or rehab. They initially advised our caseworker last week, but Jon was not ready to move as he had swelling and infections. We're not sure when/how/where it will be yet.

zartan
October 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks KKim !!

ninjabrewer
October 19th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, he also mentioned that the insurance company is pressuring Jon's discharge into another skilled nursing or rehab. They initially advised our caseworker last week, but Jon was not ready to move as he had swelling and infections. We're not sure when/how/where it will be yet.

As if his family didn't have enough to worry about, now his insurance carrier is trying to push him out the door.
Thanks Kelly for the updates.

nb

addy126
October 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
As if his family didn't have enough to worry about, now his insurance carrier is trying to push him out the door.
Thanks Kelly for the updates.

nb

And these are some of the reasons why they pepper the t.v. with inaccurate, fear mongering propaganda against Canadian style healthcare. I reside in the U.S. I am Canadian by birth and having experienced both "healthcare worlds" I'd sign up for the Canadian style in the U.S. in a "heartbeat"! Thats the 1 thing that I find lacking here. The lobbying is more the protection of their business's, cash and jobs rather than the health concerns of this nation. Jon's family would not be pressured this way in Cda as I remember.

kkim
October 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
10/19
12:00 pm-Not too much updated info on Jon today. He seems to be stable with minimal swelling in his thighs & no fever when I visited. Jon seemed to be relaxed and resting this afternoon. In the meantime, we're hoping to see effects from the Provigil (as Penny mentioned above) as far as Jon's alertness and cognitive level(s) are concerned. Check back later for Penny's update. Thank you all for all your continued love & support.

Sailariel
October 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Kelly, Thanks for the updates. We are all still praying for Jon`s recovery.

almost40
October 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for bringing politics into this thread addy. Good call. NOT

Alex
October 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM
Jon's issues are much larger than the particular style of payment for healthcare. All we can hope is that he continues to get the best care available to him for as long as possible, and I know that Penny and the rest of his family will ensure that it happens.

Snake
October 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
With all of us pulling for him I am sure he will make it through this allright.
Lets all stay positive and continue to send him our thoughts / prayers.

camaroz1985
October 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
We can help make sure he gets the best care also by donating some money to his fund.

kkim
October 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM
10/20

7:30pm - We FINALLY got to talk to Dr. Mitchell about Jon's EEG results from 3 weeks ago. He said that there are no changes from what he could see. He also started to say that Jon may not go further in his progress, but Lori stopped him and said "Watch this". She then grabbed Jon's hand, brought it down to his side and Jon opened his eyes. She asked him to track her and his grandmother. He responded with his eyes and Dr. Mitchell was surprised as this was the first time ever that he's seen Jon react this way (Jon wouldn't open his eyes before when the doctor tried to stimulate him and get a reaction).

Dr. Mitchell watched Jon carefully and walked over to Lori and gave her a big hug and told her to keep the faith. His demeanor and attitude had changed just from seeing this side of Jon; he said he definitely now sees a difference and that Jon has indeed made progress. He only sees Jon between 15-30 minutes one day out of a week while we the family see his every move, every day. So it's not really Dr. Mitchell's fault; he's been great to us.

In regards to the insurance pressure, we found out today that the case manager had been going against our wishes and told Jon's insurance that we decided to admit Jon to UT Southwestern. They told Lori they were going to move him this Thursday. The case manager may have misunderstood as Lori only went to visit the UT Southwestern campus last week as only an option, not a hard choice. However, the case manager knew we wanted Jon to go to Baylor only WHEN he's ready. She actually told Jon's father David over the phone that LifeCare did all that they could do for him and they couldn't do more for him than what a nursing home could do. David and Lori are going to request that the case manager be taken off Jon's case. Dr. Mitchell also agrees that Jon is not ready to be discharged and that they will work this situation out. Jon has already been approved to stay at least an additional 2 weeks at LifeCare and the plan still remains that we want him to go to Baylor Rehab. So he's not going anywhere right now.

Tomorrow, they will start the injection of the Botox in Jon's arms to help with the posturing and they plan to do another EEG this or next week. The Provigil drug (aid in the brain waking process) has been affecting Jon where his gaze is different- he opens his eyes wider, but his stare is not what we are accustomed to seeing. He has more rapid blinking though and his eyes seems to divert faster to movement and light. Jon's lower legs are skinner than I last saw; he seems to have lost some weight after the swelling had gone down some. Overall, Jon is stable and hanging on. Please continue to pray and support him. Thank you all.

camaroz1985
October 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Glad to see that Jon is making progress. Any bit of progress gives you hope. Also glad to see his family staying so strong through all of this. I can't even imagine what it must be like for them.

paterick4o8
October 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Jon's issues are much larger than the particular style of payment for healthcare. All we can hope is that he continues to get the best care available to him for as long as possible, and I know that Penny and the rest of his family will ensure that it happens.

+1

zartan
October 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
I like this.!!

10/21

12:30pm - Jon's mother said Jon was moving his right leg back and forth during his therapy session this morning and he was watching it move. When the therapist told him to move his leg down, he followed her command.

ROADandTRACK
October 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Some CMRA racers showing support for the Broom family. Wearing Broom Racing shirts.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/4033464422_00289dce80_o.jpg

Syphen
October 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
I like this.!!

10/21

12:30pm - Jon's mother said Jon was moving his right leg back and forth during his therapy session this morning and he was watching it move. When the therapist told him to move his leg down, he followed her command.

:thumbup:

noche_caliente
October 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
definitely a good update today!

paterick4o8
October 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Some CMRA racers showing support for the Broom family. Wearing Broom Racing shirts.

nice. and nice 250's! :thumbup:

camaroz1985
October 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
That is great news, and good to see everyone supporting him at the track. Is someone selling those shirts as a way to raise some money for his medical bills? If they are maybe you should get some and sell them here.

OldGuy
October 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
I like this.!!
10/21

That's the kind of news that is nice to see. Keep up the hard work Jon. We're all waiting for you to get on the forum again.

Custom Seat Creations
October 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hope you heal quickly. You're in my prayers.

empire00
October 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
That is great news, and good to see everyone supporting him at the track. Is someone selling those shirts as a way to raise some money for his medical bills? If they are maybe you should get some and sell them here.

+1

ROADandTRACK
October 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I know who made them, but I'm not sure if there are any left. Maybe look on the facebook site.

kkim
October 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
10/22
1:30 pm-There seems to be a significant increase in Jon's body movement activity, as well as his facial expressions. The Provigil is appearing to have a rapid affect on Jon's kinetics. In addition to the rhythmic up and down movement of his right leg, his finger agitations are more noticeable, as well as a lot of brow furrowing and puckering of the lips. All of this combined makes for the most movement we have seen out of Jon. Although Jon's eyes were closed, he seemed to be semi alert during the visit today.

7:30pm - Dr.Mitchell saw Jon again this evening and said that he was impressed with his turnaround within the past 2 days. WIth the movement of his right leg, the response to the therapists' commands and the swelling almost completely gone, Jon is a ready candidate for Baylor. One of the facility's representatives came out to evaluate Jon today and said the earliest day they could admit him to Baylor would be next Wednesday and the latest 2 weeks from now. No date is set in stone for his transfer, but we will keep you posted. Jon has his eyes closed when I came to visit him but he was well with a temperature of 99 and he was making the puckering face that Nadine mentioned earlier.

fastmark63
October 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
And these are some of the reasons why they pepper the t.v. with inaccurate, fear mongering propaganda against Canadian style healthcare. I reside in the U.S. I am Canadian by birth and having experienced both "healthcare worlds" I'd sign up for the Canadian style in the U.S. in a "heartbeat"! Thats the 1 thing that I find lacking here. The lobbying is more the protection of their business's, cash and jobs rather than the health concerns of this nation. Jon's family would not be pressured this way in Cda as I remember.

ITS ONLY POLITICS... FOR PEOPLE THAT ONLY FAVOR INSURANCE COMAPANIES and they really want jon want to hurry and get well !:rolleyes: ... and thats my two cents! get well jon!....mark

backinthesaddleagain
October 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
best news this morning is Jon Broom's progress!

Greg_E
October 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Being on a border state to Canada, I could toss more politics into this, but I won't.

I sure hope Jon wakes up soon so he can start learning how to function again. The sad fact is that he will probably have to learn how to talk again and it will probably be a very long road after this kind of damage. That said, I sure hope I am 100% wrong! His motor control skills are promising, so hopefully I will be proven wrong and hopefully that will happen sooner than later.

Greg_E
October 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
7:00pm - Jon had his eyes closed and he was moving his right hand vigorously when I came into the room. I called his name and he immediately opened up his eyes. He was looking around skittishly for a few seconds then he focused on me. He had rapid eye movement (blinking continuously) and calmed his right hand down. His temperature was 99.9 and he was a little warm. He was lifting up his right leg and crossing it over his left. He has alot more emotion in his face: he widens his eyes and brows, and moves his mouth in little frowns or broad "smiles". His gaze seemed different tonight as he looked like he recognized me and was registering it. I felt very comforted and reassured with him tonight.

kkim
October 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
This is very good news, indeed! :thumbup:

OldGuy
October 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
The good news continues - let's be sure the prayers and good wishes do also.

noche_caliente
October 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
10/29
"hey-this is lori! david got me a computer for my birthday...yeah! now i need penny to teach me how to use it. i'm finding out that i actually need this to get some business done for jon and our family. jon is doing good today, he's officially out of the coma (according to dr.mithcell) so this is good news.... tomorrow he will get an mri done on his neck to decide if it's healed or if he needs surgery. everyone has been so supportive. i can't even express how thankful i am. thankyou..thankyou..thankyou to freinds, family and people we don't even know. your thoughts and prayers are so helpful to jon and us. without all of you i'd be lost. keep praying and think positive thoughts..."

via:Nadine per Lori Broom

Yay!!!! He's on his way back now!!! Great news!

Snake
October 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
It is so good to hear he is out of the comma. Great news.

kkim
October 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Go, Jon... GO!!! :thumbup:

zartan
October 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for getting this posted KKim Great news. :)

minuslars
October 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Just got this in my FB inbox! Most excellent news. Well done, Jon.

backinthesaddleagain
October 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!

danknation
October 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Just got this in my FB inbox via Penny. Woot!

The doctor told Jon's mother Lori today that officially & medically Jon is awake from his coma.

Thank you for your prayers, love and continued support. This is another big step for Jon on his way to a full recovery!

Best,
Penny

Greg_E
October 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
It's far more important than that small quote:
8:00pm - I rushed to see Jon after work after we heard from Lori that Dr. Mitchell said Jon was no longer medically in a coma. He was alone when I walked in his room and he immediately made a face like he was going to cry when he saw me. I calmed him down and reassured him everything was ok and that he had a great staff taking care of him and that his family was safe and well. I told him about his accident and how long he had been in the hospital. As I talked to him, I could see a range of emotions: from sadness, to anger, confuson and calmness. His mouth was slightly moving differently from before as if he was trying to communicate, but he can't vocalize. Lori and Nadine came in soon after and talked with him as well. He seems to recognize and remember who we are. He is now at a cognitive level III.

paterick4o8
October 29th, 2009, 09:50 PM
great news!!!! woohoo!

backinthesaddleagain
October 30th, 2009, 08:57 AM
keep on improving Jon

lockie
October 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Good news
Steady progress.

Keep it up Jon

camaroz1985
October 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I read the email last night and actually cheered out loud. Great news. Stay strong Jon!

almost40
October 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Welcome back JOHN. Thank GOD!!!

LazinCajun
October 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Even though I've never interacted with this man once in my life, reading that he was out of his coma gave me chills. It really makes you count your blessings.

This made my day!

andrewexd
October 30th, 2009, 11:32 AM
wow great news !!

kkim
October 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It's far more important than that small quote:

I must admit, reading that brought a tear to my eye. :o

Welcome back, Jon!! Praying for a continued, full recovery for you. I hope you will soon be well enough to read this thread.

Hele on, brah!!! :thumbup:

Jerry
October 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
So good to hear. Made my day, week and month..

sofo
October 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
This has been a great week for me already, but hearing this news tops it all. I'm very happy for Jon!!!

Ash
October 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Wonderful news!

noche_caliente
October 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I must admit, reading that brought a tear to my eye. :o

Welcome back, Jon!! Praying for a continued, full recovery for you. I hope you will soon be well enough to read this thread.

Hele on, brah!!! :thumbup:

:whathesaid: Great news!

10/30
12:00pm-Jon was being wheeled out onto his ambulance when I arrived. He is scheduled for his MRI at 1:00 at a nearby facility. We will update as soon as Jon returns from his little outing. Hoping he enjoyed his fresh of breath air on this sunny Friday with his mother at his side. Thank you all for the positive outpouring and continued support for Jon & family.

Jon is at a functioning Cognitive Level III:
http://www.rancho.org/patient_education/bi_cognition.pdf

A person at this level will:
• be awake on and off during the day;
• make more movements than before;
• react more specifically to what he sees, hears, or
feels. For example, he may turn towards a sound,
withdraw from pain, and attempt to watch a
person move around the room;
• react slowly and inconsistently;
• begin to recognize family and friends;
• follow some simple directions such as "Look at
me" or "squeeze my hand";
• begin to respond inconsistently to simple
questions with "yes" and "no" head nods.

What family/friends can do at Cognitive
Levels I, II, and III
• Explain to the individual what you are about to
do. For example, "I'm going to move your leg."
• Talk in a normal tone of voice.
• Keep comments and questions short and simple.
For example, instead of "Can you turn your head towards me?", say, "Look at me".
• Tell the person who you are, where he is, why
he is in the hospital, and what day it is.
• Limit the number of visitors to 2-3 people at a
time.
• Keep the room calm and quiet.
• Bring in favorite belongings and pictures of
family members and close friends.
• Allow the person extra time to respond, but
don't expect responses to be correct.
Sometimes the person may not respond at all.
• Give him rest periods. He will tire easily.
• Engage him in familiar activities, such as
listening to his favorite music, talking about
the family and friends, reading out loud to
him, watching TV, combing his hair, putting
on lotion, etc.
• He may understand parts of what you are
saying. Therefore, be careful what you say in
front of the individual.

KJohnson21
October 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
It's wonderful to hear this good news!!

OldGuy
October 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM
The great news continues - keep up the hard work Jon. We can't wait for you to start responding to posts.

islanderman7
October 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
First time I came across this thread, been out of the loop. Hope you get well Jon, and you are in my prayers.

ninjabrewer
November 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear that Jon is on the mend and getting better, keep it up Jon.

nb

camaroz1985
November 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Was helping my gf with some homework this weekend (masters in speech pathology) and it was going through levels of recovery or something, and I thinking about where Jon is now. From my very very very limited knowledge on the subject it looked very good.

kkim
November 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
10/31
2:00pm- My parents came into town and I went with them to visit Jon. They immediately said they could tell a difference since they last saw him. Jon recognized them and showed my mother his sad face. Lori was shaving off his beard because it had grown too long. When we were leaving his room, my mother said he looked upset when I said goodbye to him.

11/1
1:00pm- Jon was awake, watching the tv in his room. He was a little sweaty and had his right leg crossed over his left and had it hanging over the bed. He is still rubbing his right hand up and down and we've only seen small finger movements from his left. We still haven't seen Jon move his left leg. We are hoping to receive the MRI results tomorrow.

4:00pm-Ayden came up to read to Daddy today. When we arrived Jon's right leg was crossed completely over his left leg and his whole body was leaned & shifted over to the right. He seemed severely agitated or in extreme pain. His vitals were off the charts as soon as I entered & immediately could tell something was not right. This was the first I heard "moaning" coming from his vocals, as well. We quickly called in his nurse and shifted his body back to "normal". Ayden began reading to him and he quickly relaxed and listened to Ayden read to him for awhile until he closed his eyes and slept. Lori arrived and stated that he finally seemed relaxed. The family all seems to agree that Jon is experiencing sadness these past few days. It's very important that we keep positive when talking to Jon during visits.
We hope to have the MRI results soon.

via: Nadine

11/2
12:30pm - Jon was about to go to sleep when I came to see him at lunch. He had just finished his routine physical therapy and looked relaxed and worn out. Lori said he now opens his eyes when you call his name or touch him when before he was inconsistently responding to these stimuli. However, he has been consistent with showing sad emotion to everyone: family, friends and medical professionals. Lori is thinking about talking to Jon's appointed psychologist to see if he can prescribe him an antidepressant. Tomorrow is the last authorized day for Jon's stay at LifeCare. The insurance process will determine whether Jon can stay additional days or will need to be transferred to Baylor. Lori spoke to Baylor's rep on the phone and was told that if Jon needs to be moved tomorrow, Baylor has a room ready for him. This is great news.

zartan
November 3rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks Kelly, Now more than ever Jon and his family will need strength sent their way. With the awakening comes comprehension and fear before the real work of rehab starts. More strength for Jon to work hard and realize he will make it through this and more strength for his amazing family to now watch him go through the gammit of emotions and allowing him to process all this.

I wish them peace and sending strength to all of them.

OldGuy
November 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Continued good news - thanks for keeping us up to date Kelly.

noche_caliente
November 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
11/3
1:00pm-Jon is still at Lifecare in Plano and has not been moved to Baylor Downtown as of yet. We hope to have information on Jon's transfer and MRI results soon. Jon seems to be resting and relaxed today. He responded consistently and positively when I reminded him about Penny's birthday today and when I asked for his approval to take her out for her special day. He seems to make a face by lifting his eyebrows and looking "relieved" when he is in agreement or wants to say "yes" to something when asked. I was happy to see less of the sadness in Jon today.

Happy Birthday Penny-we love you!

Snake
November 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you to KKim and noche caliente for keeping us all informed.

Sailariel
November 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Kelly and N.C. : Thanks for the updates. Our prayers are still with Jon and his family. The news are certainly encouraging. Will definitely keep the prayers coming.

Greg_E
November 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
7:30pm- I spent some time talking with Jon this evening. He got noticeably upset as I reminisced of our trip last year and he started to cry when I was encouraging him of his situation. I kept reassuring him that he has nothing to worry about, that his family is with him everyday so he never has to fear of being alone, and that everyone is rooting for him and supporting him. I told him he has to be patient: I know he wants to do everything all at once and get right up, but he's going to have to take it one day at a time and understand that it's going to take time. I told him he has to stay strong and be willful to succeed (which I know he has always naturally been) and that we are counting on him. I also said that we will be strong for him and be there every step of the way with him. After about half an hour of our conversation, Jon started to fall asleep from exhaustion and emotional drain. I asked Lori afterwards what she thought, and she said Jon hasn't been this upset before as he was with me. I don't know if I should take that as a good or bad thing, but all I know is that he understood me and tried to respond. Even though it broke my heart that I couldn't do more for him, I did everything I could to keep a smile on my face and soothe him with my words and kisses.

apparently from last night.

I get the feeling that he has been able to understand things for a while now (off and on), but lacks the skills to respond which has been making him upset. I can only image how I would feel in that situation, but I would probably be pretty unhappy if all I wanted to say was one or two words and no longer knew how to do it.

camaroz1985
November 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Reading this makes you tear up on one hand, but is a good sign on the other, because he can understand what is going on, and is showing emotion.

Sailariel
November 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Expressive Aphasia is not uncommon in head injuries---sounds like there will be a speech therapist on the treatment team very soon. This expression of emotion is a good sign, indeed. Let`s keep the prayers going--they are definitely working.

Greg_E
November 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Strange... the link on the first page no longer works.

zartan
November 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
yes you seem to have to actually sign in a request to join now. Which is a bummer because I can not stand facebook so reactivating my account is not really what I want to do. But most important I want to check in...so I did sign back up.

Greg_E
November 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I do not and will not have a facebook account!

noche_caliente
November 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
11/5
12:30pm-Jon was running a high fever this morning but it seems to have broke this afternoon during our visit. He seemed to be resting although he does wake up when you call his name or mess with him a bit to visit. Jon's good friends, Beth & Tyler came up to visit today and remarked how unbelievable his progress has been even in the last week. Everyone seems to agree that his progress in his Cognitive functioning is increasing drastically each day. Still waiting on the MRI results and the official day of Jon's transfer to Baylor. Lori thinks Jon may be at Baylor by Monday. We will keep you updated.

------Adding on to Nadine's update, Lori told me she heard a little bit of Jon's voice when he was trying to talk to her this morning. He didn't form words, but he did utter new sounds. When I saw him at lunch, he was dozing off and had a towel on his head to control his temperature.

Greg_E
November 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Well the FB group is open again.

noche_caliente
November 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM
11/7
7:30pm - Jon was alert and watching his tv when i visited him. He started to receive a breathing treatment for a few minutes and he became agitated. He is moving his right leg more vigorously and this movement seems to be less involuntary and more expressive. The more upset he became as I talked to him, the more he would slam his right foot down on his bed. He also has more movement in his right hand where he is moving all his fingers and flipping his wrist back and forth.

It's getting harder and harder to leave Jon when I come visit as he seems to get upset and doesn't want me to leave. He still has strong emotion in his facial expressions and he is aware and alert to all kinds of movement around him. I reminded him why and where he was, what happened and what we were going to do going forward. He was very upset and wanted to say something but I reassured him everything was ok and that we're going to take this one day at a time.

empire00
November 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
i cant even imagine how frustrating that must be for him. Get well soon Jon!!

Sailariel
November 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Tried something new today---Had the whole congregation pray for Jon at mass this morning. Will repeat next Sunday as well.

zartan
November 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
good idea!

HKr1
November 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Tried something new today---Had the whole congregation pray for Jon at mass this morning. Will repeat next Sunday as well.

:thumbup::thumbup:

noche_caliente
November 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
11/8
7:30pm - Jon has showed more mouth movement tonight. He looks as if he wants to yell or scream. Lori said he hasn't been this consistent with these mouth gestures before. She reminds him that he can't talk right now because he has a trach tube. Jon still moves his right leg around and moreso when's he frustrated or wants to communicate. Lori noticed a bruise/bedsore that has developed under Jon's right foot. His right hand is also rubbed raw and calloused from the constant friction. We've been keeping a mit on it to help prevent him from scratching himself or getting a hold of his tubes. We're still waiting on his MRI results and the exact date of his move to Baylor.

11/9
1:00pm-Jon seemed overly agitated and real emotional today. His leg and wrist movements were non-stop throughout our visit. He also showed extreme emotion today-lots of opening of his mouth wide, gagging/coughing, and his crying face. It seemed more difficult to calm him down today-almost impossible to get him to rest or relax for more than a minute at a time. The times that he did cease body movement and slowed breathing/heart was when I spoke of Ayden. As if he was listening intently on what I was saying about our son.
One of Jon's medicine's doctors arrived to check on Jon and explained that his fevers are localized to one area, not running through his body/bloodstream. He thinks it could be due to his UTI, the brain injury, and possibly his trach. He said they are going to send off more of the fluids for another culture sample just to make sure that the infection is not coming from his trach. I spoke with Lori after leaving and she confirmed that both Lifecare & Baylor are really pushing to get Jon out of Lifecare & on to Baylor. She mentioned that they may decide to do another new MRI on Jon's ligaments in his neck seeing as the one we have been waiting for is now dated.
We hope to have more info on his transfer soon.

via:Nadine

backinthesaddleagain
November 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
This is very heart wrenching. I pray for Jon's recovery as well as his son, and all those close to Jon.

empire00
November 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
She mentioned that they may decide to do another new MRI on Jon's ligaments in his neck seeing as the one we have been waiting for is now dated.
We hope to have more info on his transfer soon.

nothing is more frustraiting than redoing test like this. i spent a full week making at least one trip to the hospital a day to do CTs MRIs and Xrays. only for them to call me and tell me they werent good enough or were dated a few days later. i hate to be this way but if its time sensitive it should have priority.

kkim
November 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
11/10
12:00pm-Jon seems to have broke his fever today. Lori said he has been resting most of the day but was awake when his good friend, and teammate, Darin came to visit and give him his 2009 F6 Endurance Racing Champion trophy. This is a huge accomplishment for the team! :)
Lori should be hearing this afternoon when Jon's transfer to Baylor will be. We are hoping this week seeing as Jon's progression and cognitive function has increased drastically in the past 2 weeks. We all believe that Jon is more than ready to begin his next step in his recovery process. You can check the links on the group page to read about Baylor and their Traumatic Brain Injury Programs.

noche_caliente
November 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
7:00pm - Jon's temperature was reading 101.8 when I visited him. They won't move him to Baylor just yet because of his fever. They want to make sure he's medically stable enough to make the transfer. He didn't seem as upset as he has been the past few days. I showed him his trophy again and a school picture of Ayden. He watched intently at everything I did and kept eye contact. I tried to play some music for him but it seemed to upset him a little bit. I turned it off and laid my head next to his on his left side and stayed close to him for awhile. That seemed to calm him and help him relax. His left hand was close to my face and even though he can only slightly move his fingers, I could have sworn he tried to touch my face with them. Maybe it's just my imagination or a coincidence, but I felt he was responding in some way. I'd glance up once in awhile and see that he was looking at me. It was hard saying goodnight because he got upset that I was leaving. I turned on his tv so that he would have something to focus on.

11/11

12:00pm - They had Jon's bed lowered closer to the floor when I came in (probably left that way after his physical therapy routine) and he was receiving his breathing treatment. He was very calm and looked at me with a peaceful face. He didn't get upset or agitated. They had given him a small dose of painkillers earlier in the morning; this may be why he was relaxed and sedated. Since he was positioned lower in his bed, we could tell for the first time that he was moving his upper body slightly when he moved his right leg. It's like he's trying to get out of bed. Lori just found out that Jon got confirmation to be moved to Baylor tomorrow around noon. He will not need surgery on his neck.

OldGuy
November 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
What great news about Jon's neck and his move to Baylor - Progress.

The more I read the post the more I know that Jon is there and trying to communicate with the ones he loves. I can only begin to imagine his frustration but so admire the love of his family and friends.

noche_caliente
November 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM
11/12
12:00pm-Jon is officially discharged from Lifecare Plano and on his way to Baylor Downtown Dallas. He seemed calm today and listened while I explained to him how happy and excited we all are for him. For the first time I saw a very natural look of contentment and calmness in his face. One of Jon's nurses gave Jon some medicine to keep him sedated and free of pain while on the ambulance right before the EMT's loaded him up. He seemed to relax more and nodded off. Although, as Lori and I waited outside by the ambulance while they prepared to load him up, we noticed Jon was fully awake. He immediately spotted us standing about 20 feet away. He kept his eyes locked on us as we waved, blew kisses, and gave him the thumbs up. I made sure to tell Jon to take a deep breath of fresh air on this beautiful day. Lori is on her way to Baylor to meet Jon.

Jon and the family would like to extend thanks to Lifecare of Plano and their wonderful staff for taking care of Jon and the family these past two trying months.
Of course we will continue to keep you all updated on Jon's continuous journey. Thanks again for all the love and support.

Shift250R
November 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Had a special guest speaker come to my school yesterday. He was in a motorcycle accident and was in a coma for 1 year. The doctors thought he would never be more than a vegetable but through his families support and faith he is walking and talking today. Hes a true walking miracle but his family and friends never gave up on pushing him to get better even when he seemed hopeless.

Heres his video just to give hope no matter what it may seem right now.
1fd5M2au18w

Part 2
sJpTjRIeNOc

noche_caliente
November 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Lori Broom we're here. jon is across the street getting some testing done. he is in room 307-2. zac chapman is in the same room but in bed 4. how weird is that!!! very excited about some of the things they have already talked to me about doing with jon. also he is not on any oxygen (he is at 100%) and is not connected to an ...Read More
Yesterday at 5:48pm

HMB-ninja
November 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
i just came across this thread and had no idea that this had happened. Jon, get well soon, you will be in my thoughts and i will ride with you in mind everyday

Snake
November 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the post Shift250R that is very incouraging.

Sailariel
November 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Well, tomorrow is Sunday. Will go for a repeat of last Sunday. There was an article, I recall, in the New England Journal of Medicine that showed evidence that people who were prayed for---whether they knew it or not, improved. Can`t hurt, so let`s keep the prayers coming. I am convinced that it will make a difference. Wouldn`t it be cool if everyone on this forum went to church on Sunday and prayed for Jon? And if one is not churchgoing, they did a "moment of silence" Certainly worth a try with little effort involved.

OldGuy
November 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
+1

Sailariel
November 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Don, Will be doing it for you and Becky as well. She`s back at work--still hurting, but getting better.

noche_caliente
November 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Lori Broom: had jon in a wheelchair this morning. we went outside for about 10 minutes. what a great feeling
Yesterday at 4:14pm

zartan
November 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
From the wall today! gotta love those therapy dogs :) they woof hard to get folks better. Go Jon!

Lori Broom: jon is doing so good. he was in his chair twice today and went outside. ayden was here all day and jon seemed to enjoy that. they had a therapy dog, ely, lay next to him and he actually opened his right hand to pet him. david headed home (boohoo) i miss him already. today was a good day!

randomwalk101
November 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
anyone knows Jon's new room #/address and visiting hours?

noche_caliente
November 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
11/16:
12:00pm - Jon's new room at Baylor is shared with 3 others. He had just finished his physical therapy for the morning and was returning to his bed when I arrived. He was in a wheelchair and very alert, kicking his right leg up and moving his right hand. He was wearing a regular t-shirt and scrub pants. They had removed his catheter and have a waist band around him that helps with his blood pressure when he's sitting up and helps prevent him from rubbing/scratching his stomach area.

His speech psychologist worked with him this morning and said he spoke for the first time: his first word since his accident was "YES". When Lori told me the news, I tried it myself, crouched down by his wheelchair and asked Jon if he was feeling ok. I told him to tell me yes or no. I put my ear up close to his mouth and he breathed "YES" and I caught a glimpse of his voice. No words can explain this miracle. He watched me talk to Lori and move to the other side of his bed. When I walked across the room to talk to his friend Zac who has also had a TBI racing his motorcycle, he kept his eyes on me and Zac. He started to kick his leg more and become agitated because he wanted me to come back over to him. We calmed him down and he started to fall asleep when I left. I have posted his routine therapy schedule above under the group description in "Basic Info".

jon is doing so good here. he said yes earlier today and then said f--- later in the day during therapy. that's a good sign... he does still have the feeding tube but he is not on an iv anymore or using the picc line. that should be coming out soon (picc line). another good day in dallas, can't ask for more than that for now.
about an hour ago

noche_caliente
November 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
John, the info is in the facebook group, but I can't get it to cooperate right now - I think facebook is having issues:
Hospital: Baylor Institute For Rehab
Address: 909 N. Washington Ave. Dallas, TX. 75246. Phone: ... (read more)

zartan
November 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
he said yes earlier today and then said f--- later in the day during therapy. that's a good sign...

Jon it is a good day and a great thing you have a positive outlook (YES!!)and an ATTITUDE (F***)!!!
This will keep you healing :) thanks for Posting Noche!!

WOOT!

randomwalk101
November 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
John, the info is in the facebook group, but I can't get it to cooperate right now - I think facebook is having issues:

Hey Kim, whenever its up, please post them. My work place blocks out facebook/myspace/etc..bummer. :mad:

noche_caliente
November 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Address: 909 N. Washington Ave. Dallas, TX. 75246. Phone: (214) 820-9300
Room: 307-2

TBI Rehab Schedule:

9:30 - 10:00am= physical therapy treatment
10:30 - 11:00am= speech therapy treatment
11:00 - 11:30am= occupational therapy treatment
11:30 - 12:00pm= neuropsych therapy treatment
2:00 - 2:30pm= physical therapy treatment
3:00 - 3:30pm= occupational therapy tech (read less)

noche_caliente
November 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
11/17:
11:30am - Jon is trying to be more vocal: he keeps repeating "Home" and can distinctly say "Yes" and "No" now when you ask him questions. When he was with the speech psychologist, she asked him what his name was. He said "Jon Broom" without hesitation and when she asked who was sitting next to him, he said "Lori". He is also gradually spilling out curse words and gibberish which is normal for recovering TBI patients in this stage.

He is experiencing pain and expressing it when he is moved from his bed or wheelchair and when they exercise him in therapy. We will have a conference meeting with Jon's doctor and therapists tomorrow to go over his progress, complications and next steps.

jon is doing great. he said his name, jon broom,then she asked who i was and he said lori! this is a blessed day if i ever have seen one. thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!!!!!!
Potty Mouth!!! I told Ayden last night about your first two words. He made a face of "you're in trouble" when I told him about your expletive but then giggled and laughed and laughed after. He was so amused. Then he asked if your nurses were going to put hot sauce in your mouth. teehee. After today it looks like Ayden ...is going to be doing a lot of "ommmm, Daddy said a bad word!". Looking forward to it!!! ;) It was nice to hear your voice and feel your breath last night. You're moving at the speed of light now!Read More

M-Oorb
November 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
This is just getting better and better. Keep healin jon...prayers sent your way

Sailariel
November 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Did a repeat of last Sunday--must be working--will keep it up. My sister is a speech pathologist and I told her what was in your report. Her reply "F-----g Great!" Thought you needed to hear that. Will keep sending prayers and good vibes your way. Alex:thumbup:

OldGuy
November 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Address: 909 N. Washington Ave. Dallas, TX. 75246. Phone: (214) 820-9300
Room: 307-2

TBI Rehab Schedule:

9:30 - 10:00am= physical therapy treatment
10:30 - 11:00am= speech therapy treatment
11:00 - 11:30am= occupational therapy treatment
11:30 - 12:00pm= neuropsych therapy treatment
2:00 - 2:30pm= physical therapy treatment
3:00 - 3:30pm= occupational therapy tech (read less)

That has got to have Jon ready for a nap at the end of the day. What a schedule. :eek:

This just keeps getting better and better - got to believe that Alex's prayer chain is working here folks. Keep it up :thumbup:

OldGuy
November 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Did a repeat of last Sunday--must be working--will keep it up. My sister is a speech pathologist and I told her what was in your report. Her reply "F-----g Great!" Thought you needed to hear that. Will keep sending prayers and good vibes your way. Alex:thumbup:

"F-----g Great!" must be an official term used in speech therapy :rolleyes:

What great news.

Sailariel
November 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
"F-----g Great!" must be an official term used in speech therapy :rolleyes:

What great news.

My older sister was never much on words---always very clear. She has been retired for quite some time. I heard that she was damn good at her craft. To give you a picture of where she is at, Her pride and joy is a 66 GT-350.

OldGuy
November 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
My older sister was never much on words---always very clear. She has been retired for quite some time. I heard that she was damn good at her craft. To give you a picture of where she is at, Her pride and joy is a 66 GT-350.

Sounds like she would fit right in with this crowd Alex.

sofo
November 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I am really, really happy to see that Jon is starting to communicate. Good news for sure.

zartan
November 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
after a 14 hour work day what a treat to read :)

danknation
November 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
11/18:
11:30am - Jon, Lori and I joined a group of other patients for some music therapy in rehab this morning. We all had instruments to play and sang along to "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and "Michael Row Your Boat Ashore" with different variations on the lyrics. When asked for volunteers on lines for the song, Lori suggested "We are all blessed today".

When Jon returned to his room for lunch and rest, his former coworker and friend James from TIGI came to visit. Jon was dozing off and sleepy after his morning therapy and seemed worn out. The doctors/patient conference with us was scheduled for 12:30 today. Lori recorded it so that I can update the details later once I return in the evening.

I particularly like this bottom one:

Lori Broom: jon got botox today in his arms and neck. takes about 2 weeks to work. he will have surgerey on his ankles friday and will have cast on both legs. this is good, it helps them to learn to walk. again, what a beautiful day we are so blessed.3 minutes ago

Lori Broom good: morning my son. today is a beautiful day. haven't seen you yet, your in therapy. we have a conference today with the team of dr. carlile to discuss what comes next. i love you jon jon!

danknation
November 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM
More from yesterday:

6:00pm - Jon had several visitors this evening: family, coworkers and even a racing acquaintance were all with him at the same time. He was receiving a humid treatment through a mask that helps moisturize his mouth since he has been accumulating a lot of bacteria and dryness. He was very active, kicking his leg as usual and moving his right arm. We noticed him moving his left arm a little more today, even though it's still clenched up to his chest. He had received a Botox treatment to his neck and arms around 2:00pm to help relieve the spasticity. We should see gradual results within 2 weeks from now.

The details of Jon's doctor conference today: they gave him Botox. He will get surgery on both of his ankles this Friday which will prepared them to be put in casts. The surgery and the casts will help Jon walk and stand up when he starts this part of rehab. Dr. Carlisle said he is making slow, but gradual progress and she is happy with his path so far.

Flow
November 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
11/20:

2:00pm - Jon was in his wheelchair and alert when I came to visit. He had a gentle smile on his face and a loving, calm look in his eyes. The physical therapists came to do his daily routine of "standing up". They put him on a special table with restraints and a foot stand that mechanically tilted up. They gradually got Jon up to a 70 degree angle and held it for about 5-10 minutes. This process helps his body get used to being vertical again and encourages the natural body circulation and muscle retention. The therapist told Jon about his upcoming ankle surgery on Monday and told him the first two days may be painful, but they will be giving him medicine and let him have a couple of days off from physical therapy.

Jon received a MRI this morning to determine if they can remove his neck brace or not just yet. Jon's next appointment was with the occupational therapists when I left.

7:00pm - Jon has been more calm than usual and in a good "mood" all day. I noticed he had more emotion in his eyes: they were wide and big with alot of love and adoration for his mother and I. They looked curious and innocent. He would just stare with his eyes. He didn't say any words for me tonight although he was moving his mouth and giving us a small smile. He looked very good; his skin was fresh and not sweaty as usual. I laid next to him and watched tv with Lori. She said that he moved his left leg a little bit for the first time today in physical therapy. He also has started moving his head a little more to the right (it had been to the left side most of the time). His body is responding better and adjusting to his routine therapy. He is doing great.

BlueRaven
November 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
keep up the good work jon

backinthesaddleagain
November 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
keep it going Jon!

Sailariel
November 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Looks like some serious progress here. Heard about a monastery in Missouri which has prayers going 24/7. I`m going to check them out and see if I can get Jon on their agenda. Looks like a good deal to me--will still keep our congregation praying. I figure it should do some good. I always liked a real blitz. I am really not some religious fanatic--but when I had cancer, a lot of people prayed for me. I have been cancer free for five years and am convinced it was all these people sending prayers. I will definitely continue to launch a "prayer blitz". I believe we will see results. I just can`t stand by--got to do something---and this seems to be a good way as any. I do believe in prayer. Hang in there Jon.

BlueRaven
November 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Alex that sounds like a really good idea. We feel so helpless when the only thing we can do is send our thoughts and prayers.

Sailariel
November 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Alex that sounds like a really good idea. We feel so helpless when the only thing we can do is send our thoughts and prayers.

Lil One, I know where you are at, and it is a sort of helpless feeling. I do believe in prayer--so that`s where I am putting my emphasis. I do feel a certain kinship to Jon because in my younger years I raced sports cars with great sucess and was cognicant that euphoria can change to disaster in the blink of an eye. I really want to see Jon get through this.

Flow
November 23rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
11/22:

4:00pm - Jon still has a temperature sitting around 101-103. His latest x-ray shows that his right lung is partially working-it is not inflating 100% when he breathes. When they weighed him this afternoon, it was 127 lbs when his last reading was around 133 lbs, His ankle surgery that was scheduled for tomorrow is currently postponed until further notice until he is more medically stable. He is still on antibiotics and pain medication. Jon has been vocalizing more today in a clear voice: most of it is word salad but sometimes he says full words and phrases. When Lori asked if he was hurting or in pain, he said "a little bit". He also has been moaning and yelling out. This is probably due to his pain, confusion and brain injury, however this is considered normal. His parents got him small Nerf footballs to hold on to. He's been reaching for them with his hands when they ask him to. They've exchanged out his collar with a soft collar and he is relaxed and resting at the moment.

Flow
November 24th, 2009, 02:41 AM
11/23:

11:00am - Lori said they are going to go ahead with Jon's ankle surgery this morning. He will be back at Baylor Rehab this evening. More updates later.

6:00pm - Jon's surgery was a success and he now has two casts on both of his lower legs. He is asleep from the medication and his vital signs were stable.

NJD022588
November 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
11/24:
12:00pm - Jon was very alert and talkative today. He would answer "Yeah" to questions like "are you feeling ok today?", said "Tuesday" when Lori asked him if he remembered what today was, asked me "How long?" (assuming he was asking about how long he was out in a coma/how long he's been in the hospital/how much longer will he be there) said "Outside" when we were talking about the fall weather and said "Love ya" when I told him I loved him. When I asked him to grab for my hand, he lifted up his right hand and pushed his fingers in between mine. I told him I had to go back to work and he said "Ok". He still speaks phrases that are jumbled or doesn't make sense, but he is making fast progress on communicating what he feels, wants and thinks.

Rick
November 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
This is Rick Cook. Please give me a call me 214-384-7950

Snake
November 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
This is Rick Cook. Please give me a call me 214-xxx-xxxx

If the person you want to call you is a member you might want to send them a private message with your # and delete it from this post. When you put it out like that there is no telling who might call you. Just a suggestion.

kkim
November 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
This is Rick Cook. Please give me a call me 214-xxx-xxxx

Hi Rick. Who are you asking to call you?

camaroz1985
November 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I was sitting at the DFW airport today wondering how far it was to visit Jon. Im visiting some friends at UT and A&M for the week.

Sounds like he is making great progress. Everyone is pulling for you buddy, and you are surpassing our expectations for recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device

noche_caliente
November 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM
jon is great today. he is talking alot. getting better everyday, thankful for bir and dr. carlile

11/25: 4:00pm - Lori gave me updates of Jon's second doctor/family conference from this morning. They will take Jon off insulin; he no longer needs it. Everything in his neck area is good. Everyone is pleased with his health and verbal progress. Sometime next week, they will start putting gradual casts on his arms which will aid in their flexibility and spasticity. The jumbled words/phrases which Jon has been saying the past few days are actually real words-they are just muffled from his mouth being out of exercise for so long. They will encourage Jon to open up his mouth more when he is talking so he can form his words more clearly. He is handling the extensive therapy well and resting at the moment. via: Penny

danknation
November 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I was sitting at the DFW airport today wondering how far it was to visit Jon. Im visiting some friends at UT and A&M for the week.

Sounds like he is making great progress. Everyone is pulling for you buddy, and you are surpassing our expectations for recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device

30ish minutes from anywhere in the DFW. PM me your address and I can give you street by street directions.

Flow
November 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
11/26:

12:00pm - My parents came into town and we visited Jon and his family. He was getting lifted in his wheelchair so that we could take him outside for a little bit. He was talking to us and seemed to enjoy the sun on his skin. He had a blanket to keep him warm from the cool breeze. He even "bumped" knuckles with his younger brother Dusty. We took him around to see the aquarium fish in the rehab room and he seemed to enjoy his time with all of us.

I'm hoping he'll make a full recovery, he doesn't exactly seem like an inactive type of guy. I can't imagine that kind of thing happening.

Snake
November 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM
We all are hoping for a full recovery for Jon.

Sailariel
November 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
We are definitely seeing progress. What impresses me is that he is oriented--recognizes family members, knows what day it is, etc. This is really great news! His progress has been amazing. Will keep the prayers coming.

noche_caliente
November 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM
11/27:
3:00pm - Jon received a x-ray on his shoulders this afternoon and he has been sleepy most of the day. All vital signs are normal and he has responded well to therapists today.

Sailariel
November 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I am very encouraged by Jon`s progress. This past week has marked a whole series of gains. Tomorrow is Sunday--will do another "barrage" of prayer. Let`s keep this trend going. Before you know it, Jon will be out of the woods. Just dealing with some very accurate second hand information---it sounds like we are through the worst of it, Barring complications, we should see some steady--possibly slow, progress.

noche_caliente
November 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
jon is doing good today. it 3 months today since the accident. he is recoverying a little slow but they are happy with the progress he is making. i think he will start progressing faster soon. glad zac is back in the room. he looks good.

i keep meaning to let ya'll know if you are from out of town and want to visit you are more then welcome to stay at jon's house over nite. i know some of us have a long drive to dallas so feel welcome to talk to me and spend the night.

hey. jon is a bit restless tonight but doing okay. nadine is bringing ayden up tomorrow evening. kinda concerned on reactions since jon is talking and mumbling alot. if you plan on visiting please try to come during the day so we can introduce this to ayden. thanks everyone. talk to you soon...

zartan
November 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM
11/28:
9:00am- Jon had just woken up and said "good morning" when I greeted him. I asked him if he knew who I was to which he replied "PennyKim". This is the first time he's been able to say my name clearly, and his nickname for me no less. He was dozing off and on most of the early morning and protested when I changed his Saturday morning cartoons on the tv.
via penny:thumbup:

Flow
November 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
11/28:
9:00am- Jon had just woken up and said "good morning" when I greeted him. I asked him if he knew who I was to which he replied "PennyKim". This is the first time he's been able to say my name clearly, and his nickname for me no less. He was dozing off and on most of the early morning and protested when I changed his Saturday morning cartoons on the tv.
via penny:thumbup:

Got my smile of the day. But who can blame him? You never turn off a man's Saturday morning cartoons. You just don't.

NorCal_250R
November 29th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I have been cautiously optimistic about his recovery, but this news is just amazing. I am so happy for Jon and everyone else close to him...when he has recovered we would love to get some video updates from him...

Sailariel
November 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Speech coming back and getting clearer is wonderful--we are seeing some real progress.

noche_caliente
November 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
11/30:
12:30pm - Jon is looking better today and acting more relaxed. This morning, the nurses and Lori said he pointed to his beard and said he wanted it to go away. He again said he was "full" after he received his lunch via feeding tube. He's been pointing more with his right hand to people that are talking to him: he did that with Lori and me this afternoon.

OldGuy
November 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
What great news to end the day on. Thanks for posting Kim.

camaroz1985
December 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Wish I actually got to spend time in Dallas, but was just waiting for an hour at the airport. Great news on the recovery. I also had to laugh at the cartoon thing.

noche_caliente
December 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM
8:00pm - Jon said alot of clear words this evening, some I've only heard for the first time:

"Owl" - I was wearing a shirt with a drawing with an owl and asked him if he could tell me what animal he saw

"Built to Spill" - I asked him what kind of music he would like to listen to on my ipod

"My head" - When I asked him where he was feeling pain

"Feels good" - When I rubbed his hair after he said his head hurt

"Football" - When Lori handed him one of the small NERF footballs he squeezes on to

"I don't know" - When he doesn't have an answer

"What's that" - When he doesn't know

"Whatcha doing" - When he's asking how you are

"I love you" - sometimes on his own or in reply

"Why are you crying" - When I cry

"I can't" - When we ask him to move his left hand

"OK" - This interchanges with "Yeah"

I've also seen him nod his head in response to a yes. Also noticed that he has started moving his left leg slightly (he hasn't before) and giving a thumbs up sign with his right hand. He became a little more agitated tonight and upset over his uncomfortableness. He will receive a scan over his entire body tomorrow to determine and locate the infection that is causing his high temperature.

jon is good today, very low fever. he does have an infection in his lungs which he is on antibiotics for. tommorow they are doing a test that scans his whole body for infections. he did really good in therapy today. slow but positive progress. keep up the prayers and good thoughts...lol

jon is really good today. he is talking alot and answering questions correctly. he even talked to his grandma amy on the phone and called her by name. she was soooo excited. seems more alert today (no fever). they took off the right cast on his ankle to check the sore on it and it was healing good. so now he has ...another blank cast on, need to come sign it. they will finish his ct scan tomorrow. they put the radiation stuff in today and test tomorrow. ...lol

zartan
December 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
:thumbup:

OldGuy
December 1st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Wow is all I can say right now. I have this vision that some day in the not to distant future we're going to be able to have web cam talks with Jon.

backinthesaddleagain
December 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Keep it going Jon. Good news!

lockie
December 1st, 2009, 10:47 PM
Such good news of late. Good work and support from all the folks involved.

Take Care

Sailariel
December 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Wow is all I can say right now. I have this vision that some day in the not to distant future we're going to be able to have web cam talks with Jon.

Don, I think that`s a very real possibility---a lot sooner than we think. Checked in with my sister and she feels the "Owl recognition" is a benchmark--a very good sign. She is reasonably sure that his therapists are using picture cards for object recognition. He will, I would expect, be reading magazines very soon. When he does that---she suggests magazines with funny cartoons, etc. The idea is to get him laughing---another benchmark. Sat. AM cartoons on the TV are also good.

noche_caliente
December 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
12/2
12:30 pm-Jon's team of doctors, nurses, & therapists held their conference with Lori today. The whole team was in good spirits and very positive about his current state and the progress he has made. Jon can now begin receiving little amounts of water and ice chips...which he has been requesting frequently! :) His discharge date from Baylor to his next rehabilitation is set for December 22nd. Lori has an appointment to visit Pate Rehabilitation tomorrow, but the family has not yet decided where Jon will be transferred to next.

Pate Rehab
http://www.paterehab.com/

via:Nadine

I heard Dr. Carlisle and 12 other of your doctor's, nurses, and therapists state your progress during your conference today. I think it's safe to say that EVERYONE is amazed. We all see it and know it, but it's good to hear your official "medical" progress and their professional opinions, as well. Just more reassurance... for you & everyone surrouding you. Although, you seemed to be snoozing through everyone's "hoorahs!" for you. :) Looks like you can finally start getting those ice chips and water you've been wanting now!!! Ayden and I love you with all of our heart!!!!

confrence went well. they all are good reports. just need to get you to open your mouth more. you are doing so good. i have on my tmgp sweatshirt and he read it out loud in therapy. pretty cool. hasn't been running a fever so thats good. talk with you soon...lol