View Full Version : Does MSF course convert potential scooter owners to MC owners?

headshrink
September 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I was thinking there are probably some potential scooter riders who take the MSF class because it is needed for the endorsement, and of these there are also those focused on scooters because they think they are "safer" then a MC. I wonder then if the MSF class gives them a boost of confidence and they go out and buy a MC instead of a scooter..... just a thought, I mean I bought one.

tjkamper
September 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
It could be. I think a lot of scooter riders are afraid of a manual tranny. So if they were to take the MSF they would learn and gain confidence on a manual and figure that it wasn't so bad and go buy the motorcycle they always wanted instead of settling for a scooter.

Tigress
September 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
During my MSF in May, there were 3 individuals there that planned on getting scooters. After the first day of the course, they were talking about getting motorcycles.

Sailariel
September 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Depends largely on the State. Here, you do not need a motorcycle endorsement on anything 50cc and under. (there are some screamin` 50`s out there). After that you need the endorsement on your license. You do need a driver`s licence for 50cc and under. This was a loophole they closed because people busted for OUI would buy a scooter for transportation. Now they buy Wal-Mart bikes (electric assist bikes are OK without a licence)

minuslars
September 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Depends largely on the State. Here, you do not need a motorcycle endorsement on anything 50cc and under. (there are some screamin` 50`s out there). After that you need the endorsement on your license. You do need a driver`s licence for 50cc and under. This was a loophole they closed because people busted for OUI would buy a scooter for transportation. Now they buy Wal-Mart bikes (electric assist bikes are OK without a licence)

lol in Virginia you don't need a license for 49 cc or under. 50 cc + requires a license.

talldrink
September 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
That was exactly what happened in my case. I had a 50cc scooter - no M1 endorsement needed. Then I wanted more power (a larger scooter) so I took the MSF course. After the first day of riding, I was hooked on motorcycles and bought my ninjette soon after completing the MSF course.

revstriker
September 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
The company that conducted my MSF course also does the same course for scooters.

Cedilla
September 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I used to have a 50cc scooter years ago, put about 10k miles on one, only because that is about all you can legally ride at 14 in Alabama, you can get your M class licence but they restrict it to under 150cc and under 5bhp. I had planed to get a real motorcycle when I turned 16, when the restriction dropped off my licence, but that fell through after I realized I could not afford it while still in high school.

Fast forward to May 2009, I had been wanting a motorcycle all these years and now I was making enough money to afford one, so on May 30, 23 days before my 20th birthday, I went to the dealer and bought my 250r as an early b-day present to myself.

In my case I never took the MSF, but having a scooter made me want a motorcycle more than anything, had I not had a scooter I would probably would have stuck with 4-wheelers instead.:)