View Full Version : Cortech Sport Tailbag

AnarchoMoltov
September 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I was on my bike 2 day, I was heading over to see my son, after I left the gym, and I had my tail bag on my bike...The cortech sport..I ordered it 8/25/09 and probably used it a total of 3 times..The first couple times I used it it seemed fine, I thought it was secure enough...I dont know what happened 2 day but as I was driving down the road maybe doing 70 mph, I started noticing black pieces of something flinging out from behind my motorcycle, then performance started to get affected, so I thought oh **** I'm about to lose my tire, I got over to the side of the road as soon as I could, made the mistake of using the rear brake when slowing (out of habit) and almost wiped out...When I got off the bike to see what it was...There it was, my brand new tailbag jammed between the rear tire and swing arm..Then all the sudden smoke strted coming billowing out from under the bike, all the shreds of tailbag had melted to the muffler and pipe, and were now burning...Luckily I had a can of monster energy still intact inside the tail bag, and I poured it on the smoldering shreds...I know the tailbag was secure when I left the gym, so somehow it managed to free itself...I wonder if motorcycle superstore will let me return it?? Anyways I tried to get the mmelted tailbag off of the exhaust, the best I could, but it still smokes for now..I guess I have an excuse to get the Jardine Gp1 exhaust now..$63.00 tailbag used 3 times DESTROYED!! this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It also destroyed the stock rear hugger I had on my bike, But a replacement only costs like $20.00 from motosport....

revstriker
September 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Wow! I have this same bag, and haven't had any problems. On the 250, I hooked the front two bungees to the passenger foot pegs, and the rear two bungees to the hooks under the fender. How did you have yours hooked up?

EDIT: I see you don't have a 250, but I'm still curious how you had it attached.

AnarchoMoltov
September 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Wow! I have this same bag, and haven't had any problems. On the 250, I hooked the front two bungees to the passenger foot pegs, and the rear two bungees to the hooks under the fender. How did you have yours hooked up?

I had the front left hook of the bag hooked to the rear right hook of the bag, and the right front hooked to the left rear wrapped around the tail of the bike..The way the instructions show how to do it, without the use of the saddlebags...

noche_caliente
September 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Dan - run your bike for a bit to get some of the ickyness off of it, and then use some toothpaste (not the gel, but the paste) and your fingernail or an old toothbrush to get it off of the exhaust... that's how I keep getting the vacuum hose off of my pipe - it rubs on the way into the garage sometime
the other thing that helps to get stuff off of my pipe is a cleaner that Honda makes that's like Honda clean and polish or something like that - the stuff is amazing!

AnarchoMoltov
September 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Dan - run your bike for a bit to get some of the ickyness off of it, and then use some toothpaste (not the gel, but the paste) and your fingernail or an old toothbrush to get it off of the exhaust... that's how I keep getting the vacuum hose off of my pipe - it rubs on the way into the garage sometime
the other thing that helps to get stuff off of my pipe is a cleaner that Honda makes that's like Honda clean and polish or something like that - the stuff is amazing!

I'll try that toothpaste trick...The shi**y part about my exhaust is the muffler is underneath the bike, and the pipe itself has a little bit of melted tailbag on it, underneath on the muffler its caked on it..I'm going to have to remove the fairings, so I can get at it real good..I'm not going to ride it until I get the rest of it off, cuz at stop lights, it starts burning,and the smoke starts coming out from underneath the bike, every1 starts lookin at me like WTF the bikes gonna BLOW!!! lol, and it smells real bad 2..

tylernt
September 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I got melted shoe rubber off my pipes with a little steel wool. Didn't damage the chrome.

Another option is Goof Off.

Acetone (found in some types of fingernail polish remover) might soften some types of plastic and rubber compounds.