View Full Version : No longer a Ninja owner

SteveL
September 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Well I am sorry to say I no longer own a Ninja, I picked up my new ride at lunch time today a GSX 650 F

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/817/dsc00111bq.jpg

Steve

g21-30
September 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Looks good! Congrats! :)

backinthesaddleagain
September 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
great looking ride - best of luck!

Cali619
September 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I like the style but would want to lose the howitzer exhaust pipe. Nice upgrade

patw
September 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I see a lot of people moving from Kawi to Suzuki lately, was it price that sold you on that one over the Ninja 650, or comfort level? (or both?)

sharky nrk
September 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
congrats on the new bike - definately not my pick but if you like it that is all that matters

Verus Cidere
September 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
cue Alex: /moved to ex-ninjette lair :p

Nice ride! Have fun! :D

emt250
September 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm curious, how is the ride height and posture on the gsx650F compared to your old 250?

JaeL
September 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Cool. I would like to move to a Gixxer someday too. I don't know what it is in regards to guys moving from Kawi to Suzuki mayb their availability?

noche_caliente
September 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
congrats. ride safe! don't forget to update your profile

tjkamper
September 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Congrats on the new ride. not my cup of tea, but it is a nice looking bike.

revstriker
September 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Congrats. How do you like it so far? What's it like compared to the Ninja?

Verus Cidere
September 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
From what I've heard, gixxers are really good in their class for handling!

SteveL
September 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
OK I will try to give you the answers.

I see a lot of people moving from Kawi to Suzuki lately, was it price that sold you on that one over the Ninja 650, or comfort level? (or both?)

Here in Switzerland there is little difference in the price between kawa or Suzuki model for model.
If as I do you want a full faring and a sit up position the choice is small
Ninja 250 R
Ninja 650 R
Honda VFR 800
BMW F 800 ST
Suzuki GSX 650 F

The Honda and the BMW are way too expensive I have ridden the Ninja 650 R it handles fine but the two cylinder motor is a bit rough when you compare it with the four cylinder of Suzuki. That is all I can say as present having only done 10 miles in the Ninja 650 R and now a 100 miles on the new GSX comfort is similar.

I'm curious, how is the ride height and posture on the gsx650F compared to your old 250?

The ride height is a little higher not much but the saddel is wider but at 5 feet 11 inches I can flat foot no problem

Congrats. How do you like it so far? What's it like compared to the Ninja?

It is two different things when I went to look for a new bike I went down town Geneva as this is where the agency's are and although the 250R is good in traffic because of it's weight, I found changing gear from first to fourth and back down again every red light a real pain in the butt. I don't know if my 250R was unique but when the oil was hot the gear change became very clunky when riding in town. Having said that my run into work on Wednesday was a real pleasure with the Ninja running so well the big difference is the flexibility of a bigger motor running in town is first and second you don't need more so the comfort factor is higher. You do notice the extra weight, going into turns,they require a bit more push on the bars but nothing dramatic stability in high wind which we had to day is far superior, the extra 70 Kg or 150 pounds makes a big difference and boosts confidence.

From what I've heard, gixxers are really good in their class for handling!

So far it feels good but after only a short distance it's hard to say, you definitely feel the extra weight when pushing it into a bend and the dead time from a left turn to a right turn is longer not a problem if you know what to expect.

Steve

Xorro
September 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ooh, I really like that. I've been out of the bike scene for a few years so have lost touch with the newer models that are now around. Also nice to see a 'proper' exhaust and not one of those funny wedged-shaped affairs that seem to be popular at the moment.

I see from the Suzuki website that the seat is 79cm, which could be a bonus for a shortie lass like me.

Despite loving the little Ninja I still can't help but look at potential bigger bikes :)

I too would be interest to hear how it compare to the Ninjette with regard to peg / seat / bars position and handling.

backinthesaddleagain
September 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Despite loving the little Ninja I still can't help but look at potential bigger bikes

I think the only reason I have a bike is to ride to the bike store and look at other bikes.

Greg_E
September 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Note that this is NOT a gixxer, it is a GSX which is the sport touring bike that Suzuki makes. A gixxer is a GSXR, or a huge difference in the riding position and horsepower. The GSX---F bikes used to be called "Katana" but it looks like they dropped the name.

Verus Cidere
September 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Ooops! My bad! :D Could've sworn I saw "R" on the end of that!

Flashmonkey
September 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
That's actually a really nice bike! I saw one in person for the first time a week or two back and I couldn't believe how much it resembles its more extreme brothers. :)

SteveL
September 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Ooh, I really like that. I've been out of the bike scene for a few years so have lost touch with the newer models that are now around. Also nice to see a 'proper' exhaust and not one of those funny wedged-shaped affairs that seem to be popular at the moment.

I see from the Suzuki website that the seat is 79cm, which could be a bonus for a shortie lass like me.

Despite loving the little Ninja I still can't help but look at potential bigger bikes :)

I too would be interest to hear how it compare to the Ninjette with regard to peg / seat / bars position and handling.

Zoe you really would need to try it, I found the riding position very similar to the 250R the only problem would be your height if you can’t get your leg far enough away from the bike to support it while maneuvering you could have real problems because of the extra 150 pounds and most of this extra weight is high up so you feel it even more. You could also find your leg touching the engine casing on the right hand side which gets hot. However all this depends on leg length and how strong you are 540 pounds is a lot of motorcycle when it comes to pushing it about in the garage.

Steve

Alex
September 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM
/moving thread to ex-ninjetters lair...

ninjaman
September 17th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I had a suzuki gsx600f first and now i have the 250r.
i hated the katana.
its heavy, hard to turn, and not very good looking.
but i am new so that may change.
for now i'm happy zipping around on this 250r.

/moving thread to ex-ninjetters lair...

backinthesaddleagain
September 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
he left the fold 2 years ago

Lil_Green_Demon
September 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I had a suzuki gsx600f first and now i have the 250r.
i hated the katana.
its heavy, hard to turn, and not very good looking.
but i am new so that may change.
for now i'm happy zipping around on this 250r.

You bumped this 2 year old thread just to add that info? :rolleyes:

:lol:

blink
September 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM
i cant even see it =[

7oxSin
June 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM
grats man, sorry to see that kawi lost you, i had a katana 650 for a lil bit, it was a 91 and was sold to me by a drag racer, he beefed it up to 112hp, so of course it wanted to kill me in my sleep. and also the seat was soo wide, im only 5.6-7ish so every time i got on i felt like i was riding a pony at the fair. other then that they do seem to handle quite well for their size and weight. sold mine a few months after i bought it with about 100$ worth of repairs for $700 more then i paid.