View Full Version : Nice Refreshing Commute in the Rain

tjkamper
September 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Well, when I left home this morning it was nice an clear. I had been watching the weather reports which had been ranting about rain all weekend so I was sure to grab my waterproof underliner and stuff it into my tank bag before heading out for the day.

I headed down to Provo and it looked to be a perfect day, but by the time I left Provo a large storm had alread crept over the northern corredor and I knew as soon as I het the highway I would get drenched. So I put in my liner zipped up hopped on and headed north for my office in Salt Lake City.

About five minutes had passed and I started to get a fine mist spraying over my visor which I easily managed to clear using the squigy on the index finger of my Scorpion Exo, Venom Gloves.

As I rode futher north the mist turned to drizzle and the drizzle turned to enourmous drops the sized of marbles. Water began to pool in the lowspots of the asphault. Soon traffic began to slow and there was a point when all traffic was moving at a 40 mph pace.

Soon I found myself entering the Salt Lake City area and the cool shower continued to pound the pavement. A cool breeze began to flow through the valley as I came ever closer to my destination. Though the wind was cold I never once felt it as my gear kept me warm and comfortable.

As I arrived to the parking lot at my office, Several of my colleagues and subordinates. Saw me ride in with a stunned look on their faces. One of my colleagues simply smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

I parked my ride dismounted and proceded to the front door, removed my helmet and then entered. I proceeded to my office passing stunned faces and sly comments about the damp weather.

Upon entering my office, I removed my jacket and unzipped my riding pants. quickly I hung them to dry and I immerged... Dry, Comfortable, Ready for another day, Victorious, Triumphant, having defeated nature, and my co-workers marvelled as I went out to do my rounds, as there was no sign of water, neither drop nor mist, and they could not believe their eyes.

Nevrfastenuf
September 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm glad to hear there was someone that enjoyed their ride in the rain today. Even though it looked quite nice this morning I was running a little late and decided to take the car. As I looked out my window at work and watched the pouring rain I had no idea someone from the forums was out riding in it. :eek: I have been caught in the rain on more than one occasion and I have found it to be quite a refreshing experience :thumbup: Glad to hear you made it to work safe and dry!

Strider
September 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Dry, Comfortable, Ready for another day :thumbup:

Local Weather service is calling for rain for the next 10 days here in Gastonia ... I haven't ridden in the rain since my accident on June, and I hope I can come out neat and dry as well! I have a set of Defender rain Gear from TourMaster. It's never been used, but rides in my tail bag with me at all times :) We'll see what happens later this week ... I hope I come out as lucky as you Travis!

tjkamper
September 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Make sure your gear will keep you comfy. give lots of space between cars and take your turns a little slower and you should be fine.

noche_caliente
September 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
You're a bigger man than I :) Ok, well, I'm not a man at all, but you get the idea. I don't mind riding in the fog and riding home from work in the rain, but I won't ride TO work in the rain!

komohana
September 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM
once upon a time i had been known to head out in the rain just to ride IN the rain. during my 'cepter daze i can remember island-wide showers and recieving calls from the guyz i rolled with, geared up to stay dry while navigating paradise in liquid sunshine. nothing crazy...just another 2-wheeled experience...
NOW days i avoid the rain simply because i hate spending the time cleaning the bike afterwards. a wet road ride on kauai will result in mud water residue everywhere..and besides, i'm SO committed to not ride in the rain that...i haven't purchased any rain gear.
:rain:

Cedilla
September 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Lol, everyone I work with makes fun of me, because when its nice out, I take my car to work, when its rainy, or storming, I ride the bike. I don't do this on purpose, I just have really crappy judgement about what the weather is going to be like 5 min from now.:cool:

noche_caliente
September 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I managed to forestall the rain here today :) It was a 60% chance when I left this morning, so I made sure that I had the rain liners in my gear and took the time to cover my bags when I got to work and even left the sunglasses at home... wouldn't you know it was a beautiful and sunny day on my way home and there was never a drop that fell?

Strider
September 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Well, I got soaked yesterday
I thought "I can beat the rain home!" ... I was WRONG and to lazy to pull over and put on my rain suit :rain: so I deserved what I got.

Had to take my boys to school this morning, I had to borrow mom's cage (mine is KAPUT)... and it turned into a clear day! ARGH!

Riding tomorrow, rain or shine!

noche_caliente
September 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Alan, I took the cage today thinking for sure it would rain - and of course it didn't.... >( made me so mad! But I did at least get a large cooler and an even larger box back to work that I'd had in my garage for a month... won't keep me from riding tomorrow if it isn't raining when I leave and the roads are somewhat dry

KELPHYN
September 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM
RAIN..got to love it. Just dress for it, makes it alot more bearable. My best ride this year I got poured on. Went for a little overnighter (1500km round trip), weather channel said 'SUNNY' . THEY LIED! At about the halfway point the skies opened up and MAN did it come down. It was coming down so hard I couldn't see the painted lines on the road, lightening was lighting up the sky and it was only mid-afternoon. But I had on my raingear (so was nice and dry)and just grinning inside my helmet. RAIN..got to love it, you can't stop it. and besides it's better than getting snowed on. Had that to, but on another trip.