View Full Version : Ninja 250 gone...

blantow
September 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Sold the 250r. Put over 3k miles on it, including at least 500mi riding 2up. I just hated how the back end would float with two on it, I disliked how cramped I would get, and I work 24hr shifts so I could never haul all my linens and such to work on it even with saddlebags and a tailbag. I decided that sport bike was not the right choice for me, but enjoyed getting used to the feel of a bike, had a few close calls on campus with cars (and dumb pedestrians) and got to get out on the highway quite a bit, including an exit ramp experience with gravel (I can't believe I saved it still!). I've been eyeing a VTx1300 at the dealership its a 2007 with 4k miles, was going to go 1100 but there are really no great 1100s for the price I'm looking, in a cruiser style. Really just want a bike big enough to drive the 30miles to work with all my work stuff on it (saddlebags/back seat backpack), as well as be able to ride 2up on it for legitimate trips (150+ miles).

Plus the VTx1300 is only 6k and I talked him into giving me some goodies (sold the 09 250r for 3700, which seems to be an amazing amount :)). I'm still deciding about the VTx, I'm sure people will have some opinions, but it is a very different move from a sport to cruiser (going from a 250 to someting like a shadow 750 felt equivalent when i rode the 750, really didn't like it with just me, not enough go).

bobaab
September 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear about that :( It's really too bad you didn't enjoy yourself on the 250. Keep riding though! You might just get a wave from me one day... :D Good luck on your endeavors!

tiburonsita
September 18th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Sure sounds like it wasn't the bike for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy the switch - that's a nice bike you are looking at. The new year is coming up and the season will be ending soon so that will also likely help you with pricing a new bike for yourself.

Verus Cidere
September 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM
You might look at a touring bike too. The Honda Interceptor 800 seems to be a fun bike, still has the pick-up-and-go of a sport bike, but has the carrying capacity of a tourer and can easily get out on the highway 2-up. May not be for you, but it's a thought.

Sound Wave
September 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Really just want a bike big enough to drive the 30miles to work with all my work stuff on it (saddlebags/back seat backpack), as well as be able to ride 2up on it for legitimate trips (150+ miles).

You might look at a touring bike too. The Honda Interceptor 800 seems to be a fun bike, still has the pick-up-and-go of a sport bike, but has the carrying capacity of a tourer and can easily get out on the highway 2-up. May not be for you, but it's a thought.

i can't comment on going for 150+ mile rides, but i can say that the interceptor is a great bike. it is classified as a sport tourer. it has a more comfortable riding position than the 250.... especially for the passenger.

if you get the abs model, adjusting the rear preload is as simple as turning a knob. you can also adjust the rebound of the rear and preload of the front.

as far as carrying stuff, you can get saddlebags and a top case for it. the saddlebags can easily carry a full-face helmet each. the top case if even larger. even better is that they remove in a few seconds to restore that sport bike look. the top case looks especially dumb, but it is great to know you can buy one if you need that extra storage capability.

anyways, it all depends on what you want. a cruiser or a sporty-looking yet comfortable bike. unless you are dead set on the vtx, i would suggest you consider the vfr.

the best thing about the vfr is that new overstock bikes from previous years are going for real cheap.

here is how the vfr looks like without the bags attached:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/bikepics-1744193-full.jpg

and here is one fully decked out with the removable luggage:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/sound_wavez/bikepics-1315964-full.jpg

also talking about having enough "go". the vfr is capable of 0-60 in the low 3's and 1/4 mile times in the 11's. pretty good #s for a non-super sport bike.

blantow
September 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM
i took a look at the interceptors, definately was considering it, i also have been looking at a vulcan 900 custom, its comfy to ride, has plenty of go, but a little more limited re: storage space.

almost40
September 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Might wana have a look at an FZ-6 if you dont have to have the bottom faring.