View Full Version : Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code

ally99
September 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I did a search and couldn't find a thread about this. Forgive me if I overlooked one.
Have you guys read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist or Twist of the Wrist II? I want to buy one of them, but I'm not sure which one is better. Just wondering if you guys had read either or both and could offer some insight. Would it be worth buying both? Thanks! Ally
PS. I really enjoyed Total Control by Lee Parks and Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling by Hough and would recommend them to anyone. :)

Alex
September 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Ally -

Check out the sticky thread in this general section (linky (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547)), it lists a number of good books, some of which you've already mentioned. Both of the Code books are quite good, the second one may be a little more applicable to a street-only rider, but both are probably worth the time...

rockNroll
September 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Read volume II :thumbup:

ally99
September 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you both! So volume II isn't just a repeat of volume I with just slight changes? Does he actually go into more detail about street strategies in Volume II? If you think it's worth reading both, that's exactly what I'll do. :) Thanks so much! Ally

rockNroll
September 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I would wouldn't bother with vol I but I think you'll like vol II and gain some good knowledge.

komohana
September 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
allyson, i read twist-1 back in the '80's riding my 700 'ceptor...
that book saved my life!!
learned so much about the 'physics' so to speak of the bike, road conditions and what really helped me was counter steering (how it really worked).
money well spent!
enjoy

g21-30
September 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Volume II is available on the 'net for download! The book is better with the pictures!

cwb48
September 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
There are also Keith Code Twist of the Wrist videos. I have a VHS cassette of one of them around here somewhere.

Chris

OldGuy
September 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Volume II for sure. Great read. I'm on my third time through and find something new every time. If you don't learn something you are not thinking when you ride.

Cali619
September 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
ally shoot me a PM if you want both books very very cheap ;)

CC Cowboy
September 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Public Library- motorcyle section- read everything-report back

ally99
September 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks anyway Ryam. I've already got 'em. ;) Ally

mikedabike64
September 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I read both but found Sportbiking "the real world" by Gary Jaehne to make more sense for my type of riding. Anyone that can ride a very stock ninja 250 like this has got my vote.

S-PgApo95NE

His reasoning behind late apex left (and right) handers is a life saver. Check him out.

randomwalk101
September 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM
looks fun but too dangerous for to me..you won't see me hauling a$$ like that on the street for sure.

rockNroll
September 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
He's not going that fast.

subiegy2010
March 18th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Should I pick Up Total Control by Lee Parks or A Twist of the Wrist II? I'll probably end up with both, but which should I buy first? I'm also open to any other suggestions for a first book.

jfauerba
March 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
My impression is that Twist of the Wrist II (read three times) is the best if you want to greatly improve your cornering on a sports bike and not cruiser (Harley), but I don't think it went into enough about using late apex. Total Control or More Proficient Riding (can't remember which) talks more about the late apex. Twist of the Wrist II DVD (watch about 4 times) is a little cheesy but is good to reminder you of what you read or a summary on most of what's in the book but does not go into as much detail. Twist of the Wrist II book is my favorite above Total Control or More Proficient Riding.

Zombiphone
March 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Twist of the Wrist II is a bit more like a cornering text book where as Total control is generally written in a slightly more conversational type of english. Total control is a somewhat easier read in a few ways as a result, but I personally prefer TotWII's more matter of fact explanations for how and why the bike and rider function. They're both great reads that I'd personally recommend, but if I were choosing only one or one to get first, I'd go for Twist of the Wrist just because that one really made me think about my riding. Really an eye opener.

Oh, and I'd recommend the DVD too. It's definitely pretty hokey, but it's great getting the visual of the techniques being executed both correctly and incorrectly.

CC Cowboy
March 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
If anyone gets the "Motorcyclist" magazine, there is a column "Code Break" written by a guy with the same name as Keith Code. It is the first thing I read each month when I get the subscription.

This month is a great article that basically would have helped ninja250 that crashed in the guard rail video.

sharky nrk
March 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
i am reading it now, read sport riding techniques as well - its pretty good

Yoda
March 20th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Found a digital copy of ToTW2 and reading it. Wish I had found this book and read it way back in my squidy days.

sharky nrk
March 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM
pass along digital copy?

g21-30
April 5th, 2010, 04:14 PM
found Sportbiking "the real world" by Gary Jaehne to make more sense for my type of riding.

Just received a "gently used" copy of Gary's book for $.45 + S&H .... total under $5. Had a pleasant surprise when I opened it up! An autographed copy signed "To Trent from Gary Jaehne!" Also, waiting for Volume II (used) to arrive. :thumbup:

Chubbs032
April 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Used to have ToW on pdf, can't find it anymore, anyone out there have it?

kkim
April 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I have tow2

Yoda
April 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Ditto on copy of TOFW2 copy.

Educating riders helps cut down on squids :D

toast
April 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I have to admit that Keith Code makes me feel like a total idiot. I've read A Twist of the Wrist II and watched the video multiple times and I read his column in Motorcyclist. I have a very difficult time understanding what he's talking about most of the time. I think his "style" makes it hard for me to grasp his point. Conversely, Andrew Trevitt's articles in SportRider are much easier to understand and I'm able to apply what he talks about.

Yoda
April 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have to admit that Keith Code makes me feel like a total idiot. I've read A Twist of the Wrist II and watched the video multiple times and I read his column in Motorcyclist. I have a very difficult time understanding what he's talking about most of the time. I think his "style" makes it hard for me to grasp his point. Conversely, Andrew Trevitt's articles in SportRider are much easier to understand and I'm able to apply what he talks about.

Everyone has different learning style so depending on the "instructors style" people can pick things up easier or harder. Personally I learn best by doing it myself after watching someone demonstrate so I gravitate towards those kind of instructions.