View Full Version : Doing a basic motorcycle maintenance course

zail
September 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
I enrolled with my local college to do an evening class course in basic motorcycle maintenence as I'd like to be able to do more stuff myself but lack knowledge and confidence... Even though it was only the second week tonight I feel I've learned o much already! I took off the rear whell from an old ZZR600 tonight, checked the wheel bearings, state of the tire and rims, brake pads and calipers, sprocket etc then refitted the wheel, adjusted the chain and aligned the wheel again :) Feel really pleased with myself and having a great instructor and classmates helped too... Once I've learned more and done more stuff I'll have the confidence to do more on my own bike - which is a really great feeling :) Would thoroughly reccomend it :)

g21-30
September 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Zail, that's excellent news! Congrats. You can do it! Every repair is just a series of small steps. Do each step as best you can. Each time, it will get easier. :thumbup:

Alex
September 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Good job! Sounds like fun...

Sailariel
September 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
It would be great if our colleges or tech/vocational schools had such a course. Here in the US, we don`t have the motorcycle population you have in the UK. Very few people use their bikes for transportation--they use them to cruise around, maybe do a tour, but generally it is just going for a ride. I do that on my bicycle, and use the motorcycle for doctors appointments, visiting family, attending meetings, and some pleasure riding.

tjkamper
September 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sounds like a blast. I really would enjoy something like that.

tjkamper
September 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
It would be great if our colleges or tech/vocational schools had such a course. Here in the US, we don`t have the motorcycle population you have in the UK. Very few people use their bikes for transportation--they use them to cruise around, maybe do a tour, but generally it is just going for a ride. I do that on my bicycle, and use the motorcycle for doctors appointments, visiting family, attending meetings, and some pleasure riding.

If it's any cocelation, I use mine as my main mod of transportation as long as there isn't any snow on road.

edwinmcq
September 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
What a great idea! That really sounds cool. Do they take old guys?

g21-30
September 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Ed,

Check this out:

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

edwinmcq
September 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Cool, thank you.

g21-30
September 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
You're more than welcome. I would ask Alex for a sticky, but it's not specific to our bikes! :)

winnie5354
September 23rd, 2009, 06:15 AM
VIEWER BEWARE, VERY VERY GRAPHIC PICTURE

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261

g21-30
September 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
Dumb ...! This says it all "I started the bike, put it in gear and let it idle." You don't even have to go to the link. You all know what happened! :(

Talonne
September 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I really want to take a course like this but don't know where to find one. I have NO mechanical experience whatsoever and am way too scared to just start messing with my own bike and accidentally mis-adjust something or forget to tighten something enough... Could end badly.

winnie5354
September 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
I really want to take a course like this but don't know where to find one. I have NO mechanical experience whatsoever and am way too scared to just start messing with my own bike and accidentally mis-adjust something or forget to tighten something enough... Could end badly.

hehehe, on top of that, I could never remember which hex/bit fits what wrench or how to adjust torque wrench =P