View Full Version : Do not clean your chain like this guy

AnarchoMoltov
September 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
OMFG, this has to be 1 of the most F'd up things I've seen...DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT CLEAN YOUR CHAIN WITH THE BIKE RUNNING....Matter of fact make sure the keys arent even in the ignition...This brain surgeon had to learn the hard way..Here take a look for your self.. VERY GRAPHIC!!!!!!!
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242261 :eek:

Cedilla
September 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I was reading about that yesterday, One thing I noticed, is that he had been doing it like that for years, never realizing there was any danger in it, until his luck ran out.

backinthesaddleagain
September 23rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
another risk is long hair getting caught in a running chain and pulled into the sprocket - saw it in a horror movie once, but could happen in real life too

Blue Monkey
September 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I felt so sorry for that guy. Talk about learning the hard way.

emt250
September 24th, 2009, 02:21 AM
OUCH! Seems to at least be taking it well enough to post on a forum... I'll definitely add that to my list of things to never ever do...although to be honest I don't think I would have done it even without the story and pictures.

Tigress
September 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Wow. I couldn't even look at the pics. It does pay to have understanding people you can go to for advice on things like that.

empire00
September 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
thats how i lube my MX chains but on those im not worried about overspray and i stay a long way back.

AnarchoMoltov
September 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
OUCH! Seems to at least be taking it well enough to post on a forum... I'll definitely add that to my list of things to never ever do...although to be honest I don't think I would have done it even without the story and pictures.

I'm surprised he was able to be calm enough to take pics before he made it to the hospital..

rockNroll
September 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM
My fingers hurt just lookin at that mess :puke:

patw
September 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Makes one want to be in medicine :rolleyes:

DarkNinja52
September 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM
im afraid to click the link.... i did... i dont want lunch anymore

camaroz1985
September 24th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Wow, now I don't feel so bad about my finger injury. At least its still there (didn't think it would be though).

Sailariel
September 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Saw a lot of injuries like that when sailors are in a hurry to pick up their anchor and get their fingers caught in a chain gypsy. Actually saw a guy sever a finger lubing a bicycle chain. Chains and fingers do not get along well. When cleaning/lubing your MC chain--Never use a rag--always a paper towel. We are talking about the bike being on a rear jack and you are turning the wheel to move the chain. A rag can pull your fingers into the sprocket real quick---a paper towel will shear. I don`t think the chap in the pictures will be playing a guitar for a while. Had to hurt.

ScorpionNinja
September 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
i always lube my chain with turning the rear wheel by hand spinning, with the chain going towards the front sprocket, that way my hand gets a knuckle buster on the kickstand area... and NOT caught in the rear sprocket! :(

andrewexd
September 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
ouch - im too ghetto to even have a rear stand so its impossible to get my fingers stuck :thumbup: (i just clean / lube one section at a time)

Mo1981
September 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
i always lube my chain with turning the rear wheel by hand spinning, with the chain going towards the front sprocket, that way my hand gets a knuckle buster on the kickstand area... and NOT caught in the rear sprocket! :(

Same here...
Posted via Mobile Device

patw
September 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
ouch - im too ghetto to even have a rear stand so its impossible to get my fingers stuck :thumbup: (i just clean / lube one section at a time)

Same here. It pays to be cheap sometimes :)

backinthesaddleagain
September 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Same here. It pays to be cheap sometimes :)

Yeah me too. Clean and lube about 12" of chain, roll bike about a foot, repeat, repeat, repeat.......

tjkamper
September 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
It really is a good thing that he posted this, even if it reminds all of us to be careful when working on any type of machinery. And even better if it saves some poor chap from trying to save some time and clean his chain that way.

I give the guy props for being a man about it and sharing with others.

HKr1
September 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
:eek:

capt_bugaloo
September 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'd recommend the OP edit his post to make it very clear just how graphic the photos are.

I've got a strong stomach - but damn, you should have warned me I was going to see the guy's fingers torn off!

TrueFaith
September 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Good thing he admitted being an idiot, because that is absolutely the dumbest thing I have seen in a while. What part about keeping your hands away from moving machinery does this guy not understand? Starting a bike on a rear stand is stupid enough, but to actually put your hands anywhere near the sprocket & chain while it's in gear takes the friggin' cake. He's lucky he only lost the tips of his fingers.

Racer x
September 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I had the chain on my garage door get stuck in the pulley . I climbed up the latter to look at it . When i touched it it let go . How lucky was I? When I came to I ONLY lost the finger nail on my right hand and had a thin red line across my right eye. where the end of the chain hit me in the face.

rustler753
September 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm really hungry all of a sudden....

bob706
September 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
:faint2: wow

BikeVinyl
September 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm shocked he took pic's before going to the hospital too .. it's too bad for this guy .. sometimes people don't think ahead and its a shame . I feel bad for him .

untdavid
September 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Just looking at those pictures makes me cringe.

AnarchoMoltov
September 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I'm really hungry all of a sudden....

:rofl:

capt_bugaloo
September 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM
That thread goes on and on for like 14 pages, and most of it is insults to the OP's intelligence.

What was the end result..? Did they manage to salvage the fingertips?

andrewexd
September 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
That thread goes on and on for like 14 pages, and most of it is insults to the OP's intelligence.

What was the end result..? Did they manage to salvage the fingertips?

yeah, theres pictures of his fingers back on in the first few pages iirc.

AnarchoMoltov
September 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
He's missing 3 of his fingertips....

blackfocal
September 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
i will always remember that now when i clean my chain. sucks for that guy.

Justanothermp5
September 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
holy ****...that looks gross as hell

Snake
September 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
That was very graphic but thank you for posting. I do not clean my chain like that but it was a good reminder to me why I don't do it like that.

noche_caliente
September 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I really admire that guy for posting up - especially on THAT forum! Sucks for him, but hopefully others will learn from it. I always knew conceptually what might happen, but to see it really makes it more serious!

andrewexd
September 28th, 2009, 09:41 PM
ha seriously gixxer.com is a funny/weird site.