View Full Version : Looking for a Riding Mentor?

untdavid
September 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't know if I should have posted this in the Group Riding forum or in General Discussion.

Anyway, I'm a noob to motorcycling. I was wondering if someone in Dallas, Tx would like to show me the ropes when it comes to proper riding technique and maintaining my bike. I completed my MSF a few weeks ago. I practice in the empty parking lots with the practice guide my MSF instructor gave me, but I still have so many questions. I plan on purchasing books recommended by forum members and I've relied on this forum for many of my unanswered questions, but I'm hoping someone might ride with me to critique me. Maybe there are questions I haven't thought of yet? :confused:

Also, I'm not really mechanically inclined :o, though I consider myself a fast learner. I'm a very hands on learner, but lack confidence to really touch anything on the bike for fear of ruining something. How should I start?

Thanks,
David

emt250
September 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
As far as where to start with the mechanical aspect of it, I would buy the service/repair manual for your bike and take a flip through it. Something like a chiltons or haynes for a car. Like this...

http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/H2053

http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/99924-1066-01

I don't know if those are the best, but I'm sure someone here can give you an exact link to what you're looking for. Just make sure you have the correct one for the correct year of your bike.

Best of luck finding someone in your area who can "show you the ropes"! I would, but i live in the wrong area and im a complete newb as well.

Apex
September 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Dallas? Isn't Broom near him? I can't think of a better person to learn from. :)

Ken
September 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Dallas? Isn't Broom near him? I can't think of a better person to learn from. :)

broom's injured:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28718

Apex
September 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
First step before working on your bike is to make sure you have the tools to do each maintenance.

To change your oil, make sure you have what you need for that. If you want to go past that, just check the service manual and verify that you have every tool required. Nothing is more frustrating than tearing the bike apart and realizing you don't have a tool you need to finish up the work.

Apex
September 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
broom's injured:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28718
WOW how did I miss that!?!?!?!????

I hope he gets better soon. :(

untdavid
September 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Though I don't know broom personally, I hope he gets better soon.

Sailariel
September 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
There is nothing wrong with being cautious, but as the great bicycle racer Eddy Merckx said to a person asking the same question you are asking, "Ride Lots" Ride at your own pace in your own comfort zone. The only person you need to impress is you. As for the mechanics--a Shop Manual is money well spent. You also have a lot of mentors on this forum with their DIY`s. Check out the DIY on this forum. The wealth of information is mind boggling. Don`t be afraid to ask questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question--not asking is stupid. One thing I learned on this forum is that "Flamers" are not tolerated. We self police and we have a webmaster who runs a good net. Sounds to me that you are doing things right. Ride Safe.

emt250
September 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM
There is nothing wrong with being cautious, but as the great bicycle racer Eddy Merckx said to a person asking the same question you are asking, "Ride Lots" Ride at your own pace in your own comfort zone. The only person you need to impress is you. As for the mechanics--a Shop Manual is money well spent. You also have a lot of mentors on this forum with their DIY`s. Check out the DIY on this forum. The wealth of information is mind boggling. Don`t be afraid to ask questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question--not asking is stupid. One thing I learned on this forum is that "Flamers" are not tolerated. We self police and we have a webmaster who runs a good net. Sounds to me that you are doing things right. Ride Safe.

/flame :flame:Sailariel for being completely reasonable

Apex
September 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Ride where you feel safe. I have a co-worker that really hasn't even taken his bike out of the neighborhood yet because he feels he isn't ready. He has owned his bike for over 6 months now.

Before you jump up and wave your flag saying something is wrong with him, he doesn't get to take the bike out much and he just wants to get to the point where he doesn't have to think about shifting, etc. Last I talked with him about it, he had been busy with family problems so he had not put a leg around his bike in over a month.

My point, take your time, learn the basics, and then if you want some improvement hit up Ridesmart.info or lonestar track days and attend a track day. You'll be amazed how much you learn at one of those.

emt250
September 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Ride where you feel safe. I have a co-worker that really hasn't even taken his bike out of the neighborhood yet because he feels he isn't ready. He has owned his bike for over 6 months now.

Before you jump up and wave your flag saying something is wrong with him, he doesn't get to take the bike out much and he just wants to get to the point where he doesn't have to think about shifting, etc. Last I talked with him about it, he had been busy with family problems so he had not put a leg around his bike in over a month.

My point, take your time, learn the basics, and then if you want some improvement hit up Ridesmart.info or lonestar track days and attend a track day. You'll be amazed how much you learn at one of those.

I think your co-worker is being very smart about riding by taking his time and only doing more when he feels comfortable. I hope his family problems clear up so he can spend some more time learning to ride.

welcome2thedawn
September 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
i am a believer in riding within your limits...but there is a point where you have to conquer your fears and take it to the next level...i drove my boyfriend nuts when he was teaching me....around and around thre neighborhood for weeks....i was afraid to go out on the road...i was afraid to go alone...but he pushed me...and i got better way faster than i would have riding from stop sign to stop sign...no way should a new rider jump into rush hour traffic or go barreling down the freeway at 80...but there is a point that you have to push yourself if you want to progress.....