View Full Version : Love living in a college town

Momaru
September 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Wake up this morning, gear up and walk outside. Bike's still there, which was a mild if pleasant surprise, given my truck was illegally towed (again) from an adjacent spot 2 days ago. But the right side of the bike is practically coated in mud and grass.

I just finished putting everything back on after an extensive fairing cleaning, touchup, polish and wax. Turns out the H2 I was parked next to (or someone else that got that spot during the night) hit the bike, despite the yard of clearance, and knocked it over into the grass/rocks/mud, over the curb. They then seem to have gotten out and righted it, as I found it standing. Of course, no proof it was the H2, but there's enough in town (thank you wealthy parents getting nice cars for their kids) it's gonna suffer 'needle in a haystack' syndrome trying to find the right one.

I was surprised to find the fairing isn't holed, but the blinker's a loss, mirror's cracked, rock/concrete scarring on the right fairing (right next to where I just repaired a little clear coat rash), exhaust is scored, exhaust hanger is scored/torn, and the peg feeler's bent hard enough I'm afraid to try and straighten it. Probably more I haven't seen yet, but it's raining. I realize this isn't all that bad. Just enough to not be worth calling insurance with my $250 deductible. Just enough to really piss me off, ruin my week and remind me why I don't like the majority of the human race (ya'll excluded, of course). There should be pics soonish, but don't have my camera with me so they will be 'after cleanup.'

The kicker is, I told noche that 'now I've got it all prettied up and back together, I'll put her down or something else will happen to it'

Murphy, when I find you, we're gonna have words about the universal application of your law :mad:

Kawasabi
September 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Ain't that a bitch! Things that you cannot avoid no matter what you do.......

tjkamper
September 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Yeah! I have lost all respect for the majority of University students. I have worked my ass off and been a good person while at it, but most are rich spoiled picks who have actually digressed in maturity since they no longer have mommy and daddy hovering over them.

backinthesaddleagain
September 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM
sorry to hear that. disrespect of other people's property. i guess a plus that they picked it up rather than having it lay on the ground??

Momaru
September 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
most are rich spoiled picks who have actually digressed in maturity

I wouldn't necessarily say most, but the number is depressingly large. Then again, there a huge portion of the planet's population that simply don't make very good decisions or consider their consequences. And I'm ashamed to say a good chunk of them are my fellow Americans.

Momaru
September 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM
i guess a plus that they picked it up rather than having it lay on the ground??

I dunno. If they'd left it I could maybe see them not knowing about it.

A neighbor backed into the driver's side of my truck some years ago. They caved in the door bad enough I had to bend my left leg around it from the inside to get to the clutch. The 'culprit' was the pastor's son in the church van (the super-sized, 16-passenger kind) who said he just felt a 'light bump' when he stopped, backing out of the driveway.

The fact they picked my bike up means they know they knocked it over and messed stuff up, then tried to cover it up. That they didn't leave insurance info makes it criminal. That they handled my stuff after damaging it, to cover up for their mistake, adds insult to injury in my book.

Then again, I am the ranting frustrated owner.

backinthesaddleagain
September 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM
feel free to rant. i would be frustrated as well. in fact i have been many times with cars that i have which have been backed into, doors opened into, etc.

Apex
September 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I feel your pain. Years ago I lived up in Illinois. My spot to park was not far from a tiny bar. Well I wake up one Saturday morning and hopped on my bike. Something was off, but I couldn't put my finger on it right away.

Sunday came around, I went out to my bike and realized what was wrong. The anti-vibration peg on the end of the right side of the bar was broken off. I found it about 3ft from my bike. I also found a big dent in my tank where it hit it after it broke off. Exhaust was scratched, but that was about it. I was pissed.

I'm sure the drunk bastard that sat on my bike would have freaked out if I sat in his car, then proceeded to put a nice size dent in his car for him.

Disrespectful bastards.

tjkamper
September 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yeah I had something like that happen to me once. I walked out to my car and something just didn't feel right. I climbed in and sat there fore a minute and just couldn't put a finger on it. So got out and decided to take the bus to work.

The next day was saturday and I had slept in enough to be fully alert and I went out to find out what was wrong with my car.

This is what I found

http://gallery.oldholden.com/d/182120-2/Red+VL+stripped+and+ready+to+go.jpg

Apex
September 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I can see how you can miss that. It is really just a minor imperfection.

Momaru
September 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM
lol, wow. That must've been one helluva night, to miss that the car was sitting higher than it was previously. Usually removing the tires causes things to go the other way :D

tjkamper
September 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I'm glad I could get you to :D even after such a terrible event.

Momaru
September 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Much appreciated. This has been an awful week (roomie broke leg, may have to put down my girlfriend's cat), so I was in need of a little cheering up. Waiting for my truck to do something epic to just finish things off.

On the bright side, sorta:
After cleaning off a lot of mud, I think I can paint-fill the fairing scratches, with the color-rite paint pens I was just using this past week to fill some rock strikes on the front fairing. Found some more scratches on the opposite side of my gas tank that weren't there yesterday, probably courtesy of the person that picked it up. The bar end seems to be ok and I've still got my old mirror that's only scuffed, from when I dropped it last year just after buying it.

DarkNinja52
September 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
im a university student.. don't hate me..
all i know is if i find my bike knocked over or some other sort of even had occurred.. i wouldn't be happy at all..
probably spend on my money on a nice alarm system and some firearms and wait for something else to happen to the bike haha might make front page news but i doubt anyone will mess with your bike.. maybe while youre in prison.. but once you get out im sure no one would even park near it

tjkamper
September 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
AJ,

You ride a 250, your probably one of the few sensible ones. I'm still 1 semester away from my BA and I like to think of my self as not being an :asshat:

Momaru
September 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
As I said, ya'll are excluded from the hate (mine anyway). I'm pretty sure most (if not everyone) here would be more considerate.
I work with some bright students at times, but there are some days I wonder if college is becoming a remedial high school for a lot of the nation.

AJ, with the mood I'm in that almost sounds like a good idea. Oh, to live in a world where these things didn't happen and the aggressively stupid didn't inflict themselves on the rest of us.

noche_caliente
September 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I am still really sorry about it - we'll be in town this evening for the game - let me know if you'd like us to swing by for a second opinion.... you know if you do claim it on your insurance, you could get a new Area-P and get rid of the damage... and then pass the damaged one along to me :D

minuslars
September 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hit and run. That's definitely insurance worthy. And police worthy. Blacksburg was a fun place to party, but it was basically the biggest encampment of displaced rich idiots from northern virginia ever. That also goes for UVA.

Locksmiff
September 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
This is what I found

http://gallery.oldholden.com/d/182120-2/Red+VL+stripped+and+ready+to+go.jpgHow did you end up with a commodore VL by the looks of it in Utah ;)

Samer
September 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
From a fellow Hokie, I'm really sorry man. I don't understand why they would bother to pick up your bike but not leave a note with their information to take responsibility.

Pretty soon you'll graduate, get a high paying job and your baby will be nice and safe in your garage as mine is now. I'm an old Hokie (29 years old), and I've just had my bike for a couple of weeks. I'm a late bloomer I guess.