View Full Version : Ducati Monster 696 - 2009 - 27 Miles - $8200

g21-30
September 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Found on Craigslist!

Here's a review of the bike:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2009-ducati-monster-696-review-77793.html

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=2327

tjkamper
September 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Who buys a bike and sells it after only 27 miles?

Kawasabi
September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
someone who changed their mind after riding a bike in REAL LIFE situations.

tjkamper
September 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm sorry but my money is too valuable just to blow it on a whim. Some people amaze me.

You don't buy a car without first knowing how to drive one. Why should a bike be different.

You can take an MSF Course before getting a bike. Or if your an egocentrical bastard who thinks $250 is too much money to spend on a course, but is willing to spend $10,000 on a bike, you can atleast get a friend, relative, neighbor, work buddy, acquantance, etc... to teach you the ropes before spending $10,000 on a something your not ever going to use.

I had been riding bikes for years before I actually bought one. From my experience, most people who own bikes like to get others involved with the sport. I was originally taught by friends and they let me borow bikes whenever I wanted and I got lots of expereince before ever spending money on one.
Why do people throw their money away. $250 is too much to invest in learning, but $10,000 is fine to own essentially a hunk of metal that just takes up space in your garage.

I don't get it.

divingtigger
September 29th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Unless they live in Manitoba and buy a bike because insurance is only going to be $2000 this year but after riding it for a month the insurance company decides that next year it is going to be $2800 a year which is what they were talking about for a 2008 ex250 ninja, now it is only going to go up by a hundred.

Here is a link to the Manitoba Insurance calculator if anyone wants to see how much their bike/car/truck would cost in Manitoba. You can use R2J 2P3 as the postal code

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/Irc/vehicle.asp

divingtigger
September 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Or they bought a bike and the wife freaked out majorly and told them they have to get rid of it

tjkamper
September 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Why would you buy a bike behind your spouses back? If you ever watched that show, "The King of Queens" there was an episode about that very thing. Didn't turn out to good for poor Doug.

zartan
September 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hey maybe there is some drastic personal thing going on there. who knows. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
I wish I could buy it,it is beautiful.

tjkamper
September 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
It just shocks me that someone would throw away that much money. Even if he does sell it for his asking price his out $2200, plus what ever he paid in taxes, license, insurance.

I guess I'm just wierd. I research everything way too much before I make any purchase. The most recent large purchase I made was a net book for my wife. I checked every vendor in my area. Read reviews on the internet. Looked at additional costs. It took me about a month to make the decision.

But I also enjoy the research. It makes the purchase more satisfying.

I probably get 6 or 7 Utils out of just doing the research. HA HA HA (Dumb Economist Joke. Sorry if no one else gets it).

kkim
September 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
...maybe he bought the bike, then his mother found out. :D

tjkamper
September 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Unless they live in Manitoba and buy a bike because insurance is only going to be $2000 this year but after riding it for a month the insurance company decides that next year it is going to be $2800 a year which is what they were talking about for a 2008 ex250 ninja, now it is only going to go up by a hundred.

Here is a link to the Manitoba Insurance calculator if anyone wants to see how much their bike/car/truck would cost in Manitoba. You can use R2J 2P3 as the postal code

http://www.mpi.mb.ca/Irc/vehicle.asp

Why is it so expensive? Well the third party coverage is way high. $200,000 minimum is insane. But still.

Where I live these are the mins.
Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000/$65,000 Limit
Property Damage Liability: $15,000 Limit
Personal Injury Protection: $3,000 Limit

So I guest third party is a total of $80,000 which is less than half the coverage.

tjkamper
September 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
...maybe he bought the bike, then his mother found out. :D

I definately agree with that one Kelly. Maybe he's related to the guy from that other post about buying a bike behind his mom's back.:D

Lars
September 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
You know what they say about assumptions ... ;)

Greg_E
September 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Maybe it scared him with the ability to flip over backwards if you do stupid things with the clutch and throttle. Or maybe found out how much it costs to maintain a Duc, they are certainly not cheap even if you are doing the service yourself.

divingtigger
September 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Why is it so expensive? Well the third party coverage is way high. $200,000 minimum is insane. But still.

Where I live these are the mins.
Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000/$65,000 Limit
Property Damage Liability: $15,000 Limit
Personal Injury Protection: $3,000 Limit

So I guest third party is a total of $80,000 which is less than half the coverage.

Our insurance is government regulated so it really doesn't make much sense, but there are tons of faulty claims. In the salvage listings there are always bikes every week, and alot of them looked like they were tipped over....then again if you paid $5000 a year for insurance after a couple years you start to feel like you are owed a new bike, so you park it where there's a strong wind...I wouldn't do it but I understand why some do

Greg_E
September 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Ummm.... If the insurance is the same price as the bike, there is a problem! Hell I'd turn in a claim for bug splatter with rates that high.

How much is car insurance? Seems like it should be $10,000 a year. You guys must all be rich up there to be able to afford to walk down the street, that's just stupid expensive!

tjkamper
September 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Maybe it scared him with the ability to flip over backwards if you do stupid things with the clutch and throttle. Or maybe found out how much it costs to maintain a Duc, they are certainly not cheap even if you are doing the service yourself.

That is true. Plus on Ducatis don't you have to do valve jobs every 2k or so.

divingtigger
September 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Car/truck insurance is cheap compared to bikes, especially when you consider that we can only ride for 4 or 5 months a year. It is really stupid. The $5000 a year is on a bigger bike, for my ninja it is just over $2000 this year and it will go to just over $2100 next year. The insurance company doesn't even look at bike claims, they just write them off and sell them at the auction, but there are tons of guys who go to the auctions and grab the bikes.

For example here is a 2007 ZX6 up for auction http://www.mpi.mb.ca/salvage/SlvgItmImg.asp?salenm=1529&itemnm=13http://www.mpi.mb.ca/salvage/GetPic.asp?salenm=1529&stndNum=13

With little damage...looks like it "blew" over in a strong wind

Here is the list if anyone is interested. If you look at the results you can see what they are selling for
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/salvage/salvage_data.asp

Alex
September 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Plus on Ducatis don't you have to do valve jobs every 2k or so.

The older ones were pretty maintenance-intensive, but they've made quite an effort to lengthen intervals and lower the price of the maintenance, especially on the entry level bikes like the 696. IIRC, the valve adjustment interval was up to the 6k - 7.5k range that we're more familiar with, and the pricing for the maintenance should be lower than it once was as well; it was made much easier and quicker.