View Full Version : Well, I lowsided. Ouch.

zach
October 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Yesterday I planned on spending the whole day riding. It was beautiful outside. Was going to be on the bike allllll day. I put the kickstand up at about 1015am and was going to ride a mile away to my parents house where I kept all my stuff to clean/work on the bike. Since I had planned on coming back to the house after cleaning the bike to get ready to ride all day, I didn't bother putting any gear on other than my helmet...big mistake. I made it about 3/4 of the way to my destination and took the same right hand curve that I do at least a few times a week. Only going about 20-25mph. Leaned in, began making the turn, and I felt it immediately. The back tire started wobbling and down I went. I slid about ten feet and watched my bike slide about 15. My MSF instructor always called the road "pain" and now I know why. Took the skin off my right arm from my elbow to my mid forearm. Right knee also has no skin. The ninja has a four inch scratch on the right lower fairing. The blinker popped out, but was easily popped back in without any permanent damage. The right mirror is scratched and the muffler has a small scratch. I'm actually surprised it wasn't a lot worse than it could have been. I got right back up and popped the bike back up and she started right back up, rode her the rest of the way to clean up my wounds and then rode about 15 miles to see if anything seemed wrong. Bike seems to still be running great, I think it's just cosmetic damage.

I have an '06, ebony with the gray flames and design on the fairing. It looks like I could just replace the gray design decal on the fairing and cover the scratch. Anyone know if that's possible or if I could just replace the lower right fairing panel on it's own or would I have to replace the whole thing?

Also, I checked the handle bar and the frame and didn't see any damage, is there anything else major I should be looking for after this? She seems to be running fine, but I don't know a whole hell of a lot about motorcycles, especially wrecking them haha. Hopefully I won't have to experience that again, it's the morning after and my back and hip are killing me. Walking is a pain in the ass, or actually my whole body haha. I went back to where it happened last night. Sand around the curve, and some slick oil spots. Not sure which one got me, but it damn sure did.

My lessons learned to pass on to you:
Always wear your gear, no matter how far you're going.
Don't get comfy with your routes no matter how much they are travelled. Something may change and you may end up on your side.
Don't wear an $80 pair of jeans when you ride your motorcycle, they may end up with a big hole in them haha.

Alright, yall be safe.

Alex
October 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Ouch! Glad you're OK.

noche_caliente
October 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Glad you're mostly ok - you should go to a doc to get the rash cleaned if you haven't already - infection can get pretty nasty with them

The bike should be ok, but some close-up pics of any damage you might be worried about can help us help you a bit better

addy126
October 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
$80.00 jeans????? w.t.f.? Levi's can be just as sexy and no more than 30 bucks depending on the stye. Glad the damage on you and the bike wasn't any worse. "Expect the unexpected" when riding...:thumbup: Your descrip sounds like it more cosmetic damage than anything else. The muffler tends to keep the other parts clear and the hit that does get it is the brake lever (hand & foot), foot pegs, signals and some fairing. I doubt any fork or frame was involved.

Chamus57
October 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Glad your okay and the bike isn't damaged to much. I'm with Kim would definitely get the rash checked out.

zach
October 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Im not a big fan of the doc. I used a rag and wiped away the dirt and gravel and soaked it in peroxide and water. I've been changing the gauze out and applying antibiotic every time. My knee actually is starting to scab over already. The arm not so much but it doesn't quite look infected. Guess I'll just watch it for a few days.

Custom Seat Creations
October 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Glad you're alright. The bike can usually take a beating unless it's hit head-on like I was. Heal quick.

SteveL
October 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Glad you are OK but what made you drop it? keep your eyes open oil on the road is not a reason unless in very large quantities!

Steve

Strider
October 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Ouch! Glad your relatively OK! Heal quick and get back on :)

CC Cowboy
October 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
In your lessons learned paragraph I didn't see how you learned why it happened.

zach
October 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
A mixture of sand, gravel and oil that isn't usually there. Hence the don't get comfy with youre usual ride. it's not always the same.

bob706
October 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hurry up and get better so we can hit up those twisties in bama before it gets really cold.

ally99
October 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
A mixture of sand, gravel and oil that isn't usually there. Hence the don't get comfy with youre usual ride. it's not always the same.

And add that on top of what were likely still cold tires. Yikes. Sorry man. Glad you're ok.

JaeL
October 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your jeans, dayum.

zach
October 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Im trying to feel better asap. Trust me. The worse thing about it all, is the fact I missed out on a great day to ride. I was so pissed haha.

zach
October 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'll get some pictures of the bike damage hopefully tomorrow. Been laying around all day. Here's a quick shot of my arm. I'm glad this is the worst of it. It's not as bad as others thank God. I'm sure this is nothing compared to Becky. Hope you're alright by the way.

minuslars
October 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yes, cold tires probably the biggest contributing factor (barring all else - of course I wasn't there). Glad to hear you're ok for the most part. Hope that rash heals up quick.

HKr1
October 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Last time I plan out a ride :(

zach
October 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
haha no worries Kerry. I'm sorry I was late, I still tried to make it haha. We will try again soon.

Nickds7
October 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Looks like you got out of ok :thumbup: Cold tires can suck... It was probably more than just cold tires at 25-30mph, unless this was a very sharp turn. Glad you ok though :D

Verus Cidere
October 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
As was already said, check your brake lever. Mine got smashed in by the guys that had my bike before. It's not something HUGE to worry about, but it's something to look into. Glad to hear you're okay! I had a similar experience early in my riding life (aka a low speed drop during a bad turn, except mine was just bad timed braking). I was wearing my gear though, so I'm still without intimate knowledge of road rash. Be sure you keep those scrapes clean! Heal up quick! :D

OldGuy
October 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Glad you are OK Zach and not much damage on the bike. Please take Kim's advice though and be sure you got everything cleaned out.

Glad you're mostly ok - you should go to a doc to get the rash cleaned if you haven't already - infection can get pretty nasty with them

I can understand not liking doctors but if an infection get's started it can be a bear to chase. Kind of like you losing the rear end - you knew it was happening but couldn't do a think about it.

backinthesaddleagain
October 5th, 2009, 06:16 AM
$80.00 jeans????? w.t.f.? Levi's can be just as sexy and no more than 30 bucks depending on the stye. Glad the damage on you and the bike wasn't any worse. "Expect the unexpected" when riding...:thumbup: Your descrip sounds like it more cosmetic damage than anything else. The muffler tends to keep the other parts clear and the hit that does get it is the brake lever (hand & foot), foot pegs, signals and some fairing. I doubt any fork or frame was involved.

Mind moves from bike parts to jeans.

ninjabrewer
October 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
oh man, sorry to hear about that that. Good thing that you didn't get hurt worse.
Scrapes usually heal up quick though. Those lessons learned can be a real bear sometimes. The best lessons that you remember the most are always the most painful.

nb

Obsidian
October 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM
Get better soon man!

CZroe
October 22nd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Consider yourself lucky! I used to get worse scrapes and scabs on my bicycle. :D

I lived between two extremely steep hills and when you'd bail for whatever reason it would take a loooong time to stop. That rash reminds me of the time I went to a friend's house carrying a juvenile rabbit that I was trying to get rid of before visiting family out of state (didn't want to leave it unattended). He wasn't home, but his dad FORCED me to take home my bicycle that his son was borrowing. Didn't he realize that I had a rabbit in my hands?! Anyway, trying to walk the bike while holding the rabbit wasn't working, so I attempted to ride down the hill with no hands as I did almost daily. Half-way down, the rabbit panicked and I landed on my hands and knees over him before momentum tore me away and skinned me up. I was sure that the rabbit was OK because of how I landed, but he started acting funny and died a few hours later. Some say it was internal bleeding but I think it may have been simply scared to death like some squirrels. I remember because the scab weirdly covered over with some clear liquid and would shed off a few times a day, eventually leaving a scar that I have on my wrist to this day.

When I was 7yo my baby sitter said that my twin brother and I were the two most beat-up looking children in the state and yet we did it to ourselves (well, she'd whip us with a switch for things we didn't do but those red marks weren't long-lasting). An awful lot of it was bike crashes, brier-patch scrapes, and scratching mosquito bites. :)

In your lessons learned paragraph I didn't see how you learned why it happened.

I thought it was clear. He LEARNED to always wear his gear. ;) Yes, there are other lessons to learn, but that was the one he was talking about, I'm sure.