View Full Version : Anyone from California familiar with the laws there?

jump
October 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I read up on California laws but I want to make sure I understood it correctly..

In California, I am allowed to ride with a permit by myself as long as I stay off the highway and don't ride at night.

Can anyone verify that? I called the DMV but it's impossible to get through to a person.

Nemesis
October 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Yup, that's how it was explained to me.

krbreton
October 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Been a few years since I had my permit, but those were the rules back then.

-Kyle

Alex
October 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I would have thought the permit rules would be laid out in the CA DMV Motorcycle handbook (link (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf)), but I was surprised to find it's not in there either. :idunno:

jump
October 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I would have thought the permit rules would be laid out in the CA DMV Motorcycle handbook (link (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf)), but I was surprised to find it's not in there either. :idunno:

Yeah it took me a bit to find.

Here in NY I'm allowed to ride anywhere but I need an accompanying rider within a quarter mile of me.

Hedge36
October 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
No passengers, no freeways and no riding after dusk or before dawn.

jump
October 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Gotcha.

I guess my next question is, what do I need to do to pass the road test?

Hedge36
October 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Gotcha.

I guess my next question is, what do I need to do to pass the road test?

Take the MSF course.

jump
October 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Take the MSF course.

I've been riding for the last few months, it'd be a waste of money.
I'll pass the road test, I just want to know if it's different from the one they give in NY.

Hedge36
October 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I've been riding for the last few months, it'd be a waste of money.
I'll pass the road test, I just want to know if it's different from the one they give in NY.

Dude, I've been riding for the past 25 years - it's never a waste of money to refresh those skills :D

jump
October 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Dude, I've been riding for the past 25 years - it's never a waste of money to refresh those skills :D

I take your word for it. I'm just low on cash at the moment, so I'm trying to save money where I can.

Hedge36
October 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I take your word for it. I'm just low on cash at the moment, so I'm trying to save money where I can.

Well, I can't argue with that.

The CA skills course is pretty ridiculous. Do some parking lot maneuvers and tight circle drills, just don't dab a foot in the turns. Easy, like pie.

jump
October 6th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Well, I can't argue with that.

The CA skills course is pretty ridiculous. Do some parking lot maneuvers and tight circle drills, just don't dab a foot in the turns. Easy, like pie.

Sounds simple enough. Thanks.

Hopefully CA drivers are better than NY drivers.

00v_Lucky
October 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM

I understand that but you will be spending much more on gear than a $200 MSF class. I think 90% of the people on this forum will also agree with me that the MSF course is HIGHLY recommended. Not judging you if you do or do not take the course but I hope you will take this into consideration? :thumbup:

And taking the course you get a 15% discount from cycle gear so, I think it all may even out? ^^

HKr1
October 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM

I seen restrictions for minors that said that, is this for adults on permits too?

Hedge36
October 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sounds simple enough. Thanks.

Hopefully CA drivers are better than NY drivers.

Nope. And remember: no matter what state you're in, the cagers are all trying to kill you.

Hedge36
October 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I seen restrictions for minors that said that, is this for adults on permits too?

Yes, as far as I know.

HKr1
October 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, as far as I know.

I looked it up :)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/adults.htm#adult_permit

Oh, and the minors:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/minors.htm

noche_caliente
October 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM
You'll also likely get a discount on your insurance for passing the MSF - not a waste of money by a long shot...

andrewexd
October 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
you should check out the DMV test on youtube, alot harder than the MSF one. Im assuming you're over 21 but if you're not you are required by law to take the MSF course in order to get your license in CA.

OldGuy
October 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Take the MSF course.

I've been riding for the last few months, it'd be a waste of money. I'll pass the road test, I just want to know if it's different from the one they give in NY.

I understand that but you will be spending much more on gear than a $200 MSF class. I think 90% of the people on this forum will also agree with me that the MSF course is HIGHLY recommended. Not judging you if you do or do not take the course but I hope you will take this into consideration? :thumbup:

And taking the course you get a 15% discount from cycle gear so, I think it all may even out? ^^

You'll also likely get a discount on your insurance for passing the MSF - not a waste of money by a long shot...

Jump - just wanted to be sure you got the message TAKE THE MSF Course. If you are as good as you think you are you should a) have fun and b) have the highest score in the class. Where else do you get to practice under real pressure before you have to do it for real.

Repeat after us - taking the MSF Course will
-make me a better rider
-help me learn what skills I need to work on
-may get a discount on products
-will get a discount on insurance
-may not have to take the written test for my motorcycle endorsement

Hedge36
October 7th, 2009, 05:09 AM
-may not have to take the written test for my motorcycle endorsement

Well, the written is for the permit - the MSF course does away with the need to ride the stoopit DMV "range".

Kawikaze
October 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
you should check out the DMV test on youtube, alot harder than the MSF one. Im assuming you're over 21 but if you're not you are required by law to take the MSF course in order to get your license in CA.

+1

If you are a new rider with minimal experience, I recommend the MSF course. Trying to pass the skills test while not quite grasping the concept of proper clutch control on the "Lollipop Test", could be frustrating as well as a waste of time for everyone.

Greg_E
October 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
If you are certain you will pass, then just take the rode test in NY and get it done.

null0
October 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I read up on California laws but I want to make sure I understood it correctly..

In California, I am allowed to ride with a permit by myself as long as I stay off the highway and don't ride at night.

Can anyone verify that? I called the DMV but it's impossible to get through to a person.
There's actually 3 restrictions:

No freeway riding. You can ride on a highway. The difference between the 2 is a freeway is only accessible by an onramp whereas a highway isn't.

No night riding.

No passengers.

revstriker
October 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Jump - just wanted to be sure you got the message TAKE THE MSF Course. If you are as good as you think you are you should a) have fun and b) have the highest score in the class. Where else do you get to practice under real pressure before you have to do it for real.

Repeat after us - taking the MSF Course will
-make me a better rider
-help me learn what skills I need to work on
-may get a discount on products
-will get a discount on insurance
-may not have to take the written test for my motorcycle endorsement+1. I first started riding over 25 years ago. After not riding for a few years, I took the basic course as a refresher. I thought I would be able to breeze through, but it was tougher than I thought. The low speed maneuvers were particularly more difficult as I really never practiced those (and I here the CA test has a lot of these). So after many miles of riding experience, I actually took away quite a bit from that class. :thumbup:

Here in Texas, they just passed a law requiring all new license applicants to take the MSF course. Prior to that it was optional and would grant you a waiver on the Texas road test. You still had to take the written test though (and still do).

You are also allowed in Texas to ride without a helmet if you have taken the course. I personally don't do this, and don't recommend doing this (I do support this being a rider decision), but it is a benefit.

Best of luck to you.

revstriker
October 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
There's actually 3 restrictions:

No freeway riding. You can ride on a highway. The difference between the 2 is a freeway is only accessible by an onramp whereas a highway isn't.

No night riding.

No passengers.This is Off Topic, but:

Being from the northeast, that whole "Freeway" and "Highway" thing confuses me. To me they are all highways, and many of them are not free (tolls) especially here in Texas. :) Is Calf. the only places that used the term "freeway"?

fujimumu
October 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM
The law is similar in NJ. Do you know what the penalty is for riding alone with a permit?
Yeah it took me a bit to find.

Here in NY I'm allowed to ride anywhere but I need an accompanying rider within a quarter mile of me.

null0
October 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
This is Off Topic, but:

Being from the northeast, that whole "Freeway" and "Highway" thing confuses me. To me they are all highways, and many of them are not free (tolls) especially here in Texas. :) Is Calf. the only places that used the term "freeway"?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2511890&postcount=4

These are the legal definitions for CA posted by a cop on another forum.

Another thing people get confused is a Freeway, Highway, Street, and Roadway.

Street:

590. "Street" is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. Street includes highway.

Roadway:

530. A "roadway" is that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel.

(Roadway and Street have pretty much the same meaning).

Freeway:

332. "Freeway" is a highway in respect to which the owners of abutting lands have no right or easement of access to or from their abutting lands or in respect to which such owners have only limited or restricted right or easement of access.

In plain English, if the only way to access the roadway is by using on and off ramps, there are no cross streets or signal lights / stop signs, its a freeway. (i80, I680, I880, Ect).

Traffic:

620. The term "traffic" includes pedestrians, ridden animals, vehicles, street cars, and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel.

Sidewalk:

550. "Sidewalk" is that portion of a highway, other than the roadway, set apart by curbs, barriers, markings or other delineation for pedestrian travel.

Highway:

360. "Highway" is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. Highway includes street.

People often misunderstand the term "Highway". It refers to any land that is publicly maintained for traffic. This includes Freeways, streets, roadways, sidewalks, medians, shoulders, grass strips on the right side of the roadway, Ect.

CZroe
October 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2511890&postcount=4

These are the legal definitions posted by a cop on another forum.

I've noticed that Californians almost never refer to an "Interstate" highway as such. For instance, in SoCal San Diego, it's the I-805, I-15, I-8, and I-5 "Freeway."

revstriker
October 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Interesting definitions. I've lived in a few different places throughout the US, but none of them has used the term "freeway". But they have used the terms "thruway", "turnpike", "expressway" and of course highway. I think that turnpikes are normally defined as a toll roads. Maybe the same for thruway? But I know a few expressways which are not toll roads. Where I live, there are a bunch of toll roads, but they are all just called highways.

I always thought the term "freeway" meant no toll, but I guess the term originally meant, free from cross traffic.

headshrink
October 12th, 2009, 01:36 AM
There is currently (as of summer '08 at least) a question on the MC written test here in CA where the DMV's answer is in reality the WRONG answer. Has anyone found it yet besides me?

I'll give you a little hint... Following the DMV's advise can get you hurt.
(my guess is a cager or member of Congress wrote the test)

miztyzo562
October 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Dude I had a buddie thats been riding for about a year or more before he tried to test with the DMV and he bombed it. MSF's course is worth it

Reswob
October 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
This is Off Topic, but:

Yeah, it didn't make any sense to me when I moved down here. Especially out in the country, there are 4-lane (2 per side) divided roads, except they have cross-streets and traffic lights! Those are 'highways'. Apparently any main major road with a speed limit over 45 could also be called a 'highway'. I still call roads like that 'routes' and think of a highway only as the thing with no stop lights and a 65+ speed limit.:thumbup:

On topic, the DMV issued test is said to be very difficult, and as pointed out, some of the DMV's answers differ from what the MSF instructors will tell you.

TogaLive
October 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM

And no passengers during your permit period, dont forget about that one, its what they will nail you on!