View Full Version : Riding fatigue

Ntotot
October 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Whenever I had a long distance ride or frequent ride in a week, I usually felt some discomfort such as:

1. Waist ache
2. Right wrist numbness
3. Back spine tiredness
4. Neck pain (after speeding ~ due to wind resistance)

Before I start to make a ride (to work/touring) I often make quick warm up like twisting my back, stretch my arms, and crack bones (fingers etc.). But still, how often I make, the fatigue still doesn't go away and I don't wanna giving up riding. Frequent visits to the massage parlor will rip my wallet off.. :p

addy126
October 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Wait until u do that 1st 8 hour ride in a day with 3 short stops and that right arm aches from shoulder to elbow to wrist.... and it rears up on the rides thereafter... oh yes such a treat. :(

Cedilla
October 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
My butt, and neck are the main things that get sore on me during a long trip. Ive done a couple of 200mi days, and I can't really go much more, or too often, because of fatigue.

SteveL
October 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Points 1 to 3 could be you are holding on too tight and a bigger screen may fix the neck problem.

Steve

Ntotot
October 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
well i did loosen a bit the grip and not ducking all the way.

Hedge36
October 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM
On really long rides I'll spend some time at a gas stop doing some basic full-body stretching before refilling the water bladder in my tank bag. People tend to look at you a little funny, doing yoga poses in full gear and a helmet, but it helps.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Anything over 750 miles or so in a day and I'm popping Advil liquigels periodically as a precaution.

Going down the road, stand up, stretch your legs - hell, do whatever it takes to put your limbs in some other position.

Flashmonkey
October 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

That's key right there. Without adequate hydration, your muscles will lock up and get stiff. Don't forget to eat stuff too! :D

backinthesaddleagain
October 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
when i am really fatigured i get almost too lazy to put my feet down at a red light. i'll slowly coast to the light, or work that front brake and clutch to keep the bike balanced without touching down. just a mental thing, as i will lean my body or whatever to turn, just too lazy to put the feet down - go figure.

CC Cowboy
October 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Wimps, all of you!

adouglas
October 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
What kept me comfortable on a 13-day, 2,600 mile trip:

- Change positions often. You can slide your butt back or hump the tank. You can put your weight on your hands (bad if you do it too much), or you can support yourself with your abs and back. You can straighten your arms or bend them. You can grip the throttle with your ring and little finger, your fore and middle fingers, all four fingers or even just your palm and thumb. You can lie down on the tank or tank bag in a tuck, or you can sit upright. You can put the balls of your feet on the pegs, or your instep.

The point is to stay loose and move around a lot. Sitting in one position for hours is what makes you cramp up.

- Take your right hand off the throttle for a moment and shake it out a few times an hour. Make sure you're in a situation where this is safe to do.

- Stop and get off the bike at least once per hour, even if it's only for a minute. This does WONDERS.

Hedge36
October 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Two words: throttle lock.

addy126
October 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Wimps, all of you!

lol and proud of it.... :baby:

BlueRaven
October 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
my last 2 hour non stop trip i tried lockie's suggestion of wearing padded biking shorts under my leathers and i have to say my butt was happy. i wont ride without my throttle lock anymore, the best 10$ i spent. my hand hasn't fallen asleep since ive had it. i've notice that my left elbow is sore after my long rides though just have to learn to relax.

adouglas
October 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
just have to learn to relax.

Yeh, relaxing is key.

I'm very relaxed on the bars... as relaxed as I am on the steering wheel of my car.

Try riding hands-off for a few seconds sometime. It'll prove to you that you don't need to hold on tight.

Ntotot
October 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I seldom rub this Ammeltz Yoko-Yoko to relief stiff muscles (shoulders, legs)
http://usih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=1858&ImageID=61&DisplaySize=400&ListingID=2128

this red one is stronger and a bit sharp.
http://i.ebayimg.com/19/!B,v-9F!BWk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmYmWCBKs4-8D,g!~~_35.JPG

Ntotot
October 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
That rub thing really does the job. Before and after ride, and a stick of cigarette and a can of coke.

Sailariel
October 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
As the lovely lady from Canada mentioned---bike shorts under your leathers (you don`t wear underwear with bike shorts) Hydration was also mentioned--very important--carry a water bottle in your pack or tank bag. Some sort of throttle lock---I like Crampbuster $10. A higher windscreen is a big help. I changed to a Zero Gravity Touring--well worth the money. As for the neck issue---Do you wear a full face helmet? A full face with a chinguard and some streamlining will go a long way for comfort. Above all, relax, White knuckling the grips will only give you pain and will detract from the bike`s handling.

bob706
October 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Two words: throttle lock.

The absolute best $30-$40 you will ever spend on making a long ride bearable.

bobaab
October 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I had similar problems. Here is what I did to fix them for my first tour...a 400 mile, 2 day tour:

1) Put much, much less weight on your hands. To do this, either grip the tank with your knees or use back muscles. A combination of both works well, but remember to put just enough weight on your hands to move the throttle.

2) Got myself a Crampbuster for $12 shipped. It's a little tricky with the grip of the Ninjette (I have a 2001), but I was cruising at 65-70 mph all weekend long. This is great because you can put your weight on your wrist and not just your palms. Very cheap, very effective.

3) Also got a taller windscreen, the Zero Gravity Double Bubble. This moved the wind from hitting between my torso and chest to an area just below my neck at a "normal" stance. I'm 5' 8", btw. But there was still enough wind resistance to actually help me put less weight on my bike.

4) Take frequent stops. This was suggested earlier, but just stopping, even just putting your feet down, will help immensely. To make this fun, just stop, take a picture, and start riding again.

5) I wasn't expecting this to help, but cold weather/rain gloves definitely helped. They have much more padding in them that gave me a lot more cushion. A new set of better fitting gloves may be a good investment.

6) If it's cold, stay warm. Muscles really cramp up in the cold. It sucks.

7) Just ride. Your body will get used to it after a while. You will eventually find the right kind of riding style for yourself and your body will adapt to it!

rockNroll
October 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Get some long johns (the old style that have the tiny square pattern to them) and cut them off so they come mid thigh. Wear those against your skin, no underbritches under them. Something that alot of people don't realize, or don't wanna admit, is that your butt sweats and that's the biggest reason why it starts to hurt. The long johns will absorb it away from your skin and you'll be amazed at what a difference it will make with your whole body when your ass doesn't feel like it's on fire or needs a spatula to separate it from your seat.

I know... sounds pretty sexy, huh?

KELPHYN
October 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM
All good advice. Basically the more you ride the easier it gets. 6 to 8 hour rides by the end of the season aren't that bad, but the first couple at the beginning of the season are killer.

Ntotot
October 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.bikebone.com/miva/graphics/00000002/CB3cbust_pic3.gif
i'll get thing ship to me.

7) Just ride. Your body will get used to it after a while. You will eventually find the right kind of riding style for yourself and your body will adapt to it!
... that's it gonna save some pennies for Connie@GTR1400...hahahaha
http://www.cmsnl.com/news/img/Kawasaki_GTR1400.jpg

Hedge36
October 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Things Hedge can't live without on 1,000 mile days:

1. Gold Bond Medicated Powder, applied liberally to the tender bits
2. My Kaoko throttle lock
3. Pearl Izumi bike shorts
4. Advil Liquigels
5. XM radio and/or iPod
6. Camelbak or other hydration bag
7. Easily-moved seat cover. Be it sheepskin or beads, being able change up the seat surface periodically makes a huge difference during the day
8. Gum
9. Multiple pairs of gloves. Again, different can almost always be good
10. Stretching