View Full Version : rear suspension

sombo
October 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Well tonight I discovered I may have a problem. Did a decent amount of riding this weekend like I usually do. Tonight when I got home I put the kickstand down and stepped off the bike only to notice it wasn't sitting right. It wasn't leaning over enough onto the kickstand. So I looked at the rear end only to realize that the shock was fully compressed.

I pushed down on the rear to see if maybe it was my imagination but the rear didn't go down any. (at this point I was thinking some choice words :mad: ) At this point I grab the bar in the back (it's a pre-gen) and lift up. Nothing happened at first, it stayed up. (more choice words in head) So I decide to put it up on the center stand and leave it there till I can take it to a shop. Finally as I am trying to get it on the center stand it finally decides to come loose. I looked underneath with a flashlight, but nothing looked broke.

Well on the bright side, if the rear shock truly is shot it prompts me to do what I have been thinking about doing for a bit. That's to get a new-gen ninjette rear shock and do a transplant. I know, to those of you who have the new-gens most don't think the rear shock is strong enough, but it's stronger then our pre-gens, so for me it would be an upgrade. And if the shock isn't the issue and it's the swing-arm joint itself, well then not sure. But will have to take it to a shop this weekend to find out more. Not mechanic enough myself to try and figure it out, nor do I have a garage or the proper tools. :(

Verus Cidere
October 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I've been planning to do that switch as well. Our pregen shock is so gooey! It's on the "to buy" list, but there's a lot of stuff on that list! :rolleyes:

ztrack157
October 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I might let you guys fight over my stock shock. I think I'm going to mount the rpm one on my new gen.

HKr1
October 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Maybe give these people a call, see if they can help.
http://www.ttrmotorsports.com/ < 321-972-8920

I know they work over other stock shocks, re-valve & re-spring. Great service and prices from what I have seen. :thumbup:

Verus Cidere
October 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
How much would you want for your shock Matt? :)

ztrack157
October 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
$40 shipped when I have a replacement.

Verus Cidere
October 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds VERY good to me. PM sent.

sombo
October 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Well I guess I'll just get the one I found on Ebay then for $30 + $18 S&H since I was too late to get this one. Should just sell it to me since unlike him I actually NEED a rear shock since mine appears to be shot. :mad:
Wanted to wait till payday this week to make any decisions. Oh well, good luck on your transplant, lemme know how it works out for you. I'll do the same when I get around to it myself.

HKr1
October 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
^ You call them peeps? There right there in Orlando........

Verus Cidere
October 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Just to let you know, he isn't going to be selling me the shock for another month. He doesn't have his replacement yet.

sombo
October 14th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Bah, figures. Yah, I checked the bike last night and you can tell that the shock is blown. I took it off the center stand and already it was about half-way down. I pushed on it and it had almost no resistance, sat on it and it was bottomed out. So I will see about getting that shock on ebay and putting it on. As for calling that place here in Orlando, no, haven't called them. If I do call them it will be for fork work. Not worth rebuilding a shock that can be replaced by a used 'better' shock for cheaper.

ztrack157
October 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
If you want spring work go to Road and Track hes a member here and top notch.

sombo
October 14th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'll keep that in mind. Right now my focus is to just get my bike back on the road with fully working suspension. :cool:

Grn99Kawi
October 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Big thumbs up on my J shock.. have 1550 miles on it now.. much better than the stock F shock and mine was actually fine before I pulled it off..

sombo
October 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Well I won the bid for the J shock I found on Ebay. Total after shipping is about $71. Now I just need a maintenance manual for it and someone with a torque wrench to make sure it's done right and not half-assed.

bobaab
October 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Remember that the shock from the EX500 is also a valid part for a transplant...

sombo
October 24th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Well the shock is here, now I just need to get it put in. A friend at work said he'd help if I got the service manual so we would have the proper torque specs for the bolts on the shock.

Grn99Kawi
October 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
service manual lists the upper and lower shock bolts at 33ft/lb

sombo
November 4th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Thought I would write an update. My friend helped me put the shock in and adjust it this past friday. Wow, what a difference from the old shock when it was working. So much more solid on the road and the bike doesn't try to kick me off when going over bumps (like the speed-bumps in my apartment complex).

Right now it's on the second from lowest setting and we realized that a spanner tool made for our shock is something to get for the future. He had a spanner tool but it was for his buell and it didn't want to grab the tabs good enough to adjust when the shock was on the bike.

All in all an easy thing to do but hard to adjust it on the older bikes cause it wasn't designed to allow easy access to the shock for adjustment.