View Full Version : Stomach on Tank helmet at windscreen level

dimeified
October 12th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,
Fast question for you all, on my highway commute to work i like to keep my stomach on the tank and my head just above the windscreen to where the wind will flow right from it over my helmet, my neck will not feel any wind in this position. I can accelerate quicker, feel safer because im closer to the ground, so if i fall, i will roll to it, not smack into it, and i feel my steering is a little smoother. I would assume for a position like this, clipons would be good, but otherwise, is this dangerous? Am i removing too much weight from the rear? I base the position on wind resistance, the harder i feel it the lower i position myself on the bike. Dangerous and looking like an idiot or smart and functional? I think the later but what do you guys think?

edit: if the highway gets a little rough, i usually rise up a little bit to counteract the back end being thrown up in the air. But if i hit a bump unseen and im super low like that, should i expect a disaster to occur?

ScraitT
October 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I ride like that for a couple miles, then sit up for a few on the highway to stretch. Riding that way is usually easier so your not being torn up by the wind, plus you should get better mileage.

As far as a fall...it doesn't matter if your laying down like that, your first reaction in any situation would be to sit upright and try to save it somehow IF you have time...in any case your gonna be up when you go down.

karlosdajackal
October 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
i ride like that sometimes, although if your wearing a back protector that comes up to your neck it can be hard to tilt your head back that far, also you can't do a lifesaver (glance over shoulder) if you want to change lanes, also i worry about the zips on the jacket scratching the tank.

The wind protection is good though, and if you sit up people behind you usually assume you are going to brake so they give you a bit more space. So for staying in a single lane and hiding from the wind its grand.

adouglas
October 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Works for the MotoGP guys.....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/208851/images/Mika%20Kallio.jpg

I do this all the time. Takes all the stress off my arms, shoulders, wrists and butt... the only thing that's stressed is my neck, from having to bend it to look up/forward at the road. But it's comfortable enough for several minutes at a stretch that I make a habit of it, especially over 65 mph or so.

I don't think it'd do anything for you in a crash. If you come off the bike you're not going to be in that tuck by the time you hit the ground.

I think that tucking provides obvious benefits to performance, and the faster you go, the more you gain. Your torso is one great big air brake, and at highway speeds that's a LOT of force. Stick your hand out in the breeze sometime to see how powerful the wind is. With only 27 horsepower (+/-) at the wheel, we need all the help we can get.

I swear I can tell the difference in power available to pass on the highway but it might just be the placebo effect. I also believe I can feel the drag when I sit up. It's how I start to slow the bike initially when I see brake lights ahead. It has the nice side-effect of suddenly making me appear larger to those following... which hopefully gets their attention.

Besides, it lets me pretend I'm Valentino Rossi....

:rotflmao:

dimeified
October 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
the highway pass isnt placebo, the reason i brought this up was because i couldn't believe how quick i was to pass an 18 wheeler on the nj turnpike! well im happy to hear im not just screwing around thinking im doing good when im not. thanks guys!

rockNroll
October 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'll need to see pictures......:p

zev42
October 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
When I'm on the highway, I usually tuck in also, and it helps a lot with the wind. If I didn't tuck in, the wind would push me around in all different directions like a rag doll. I got Woodcraft clip-ons, and lowered the handle bars a couple inches or so, and they help out A LOT. Just remember, if you lower your clip-ons, you're probably going to have to make modifications to your fairings to allow proper clearance.

For me, this works very well. I feel more stable on the highway.

Racer x
October 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Post up a side view with you in your gear. The clip ons do help grt you lower. The only thing can say is to watch out riding on the street like that . I do it and love it BUT. 1 you cant see as far ahead . 2 people cant see you as well. When you sit up you are taller. 3 A big bump can hit you and knock the scene out of you . If it hits your stomach and helmet hard enough . Past that the clip ons are what you need . Woodcraft make them for under the top clamp Or you can lower it and use 37 mm universal ones on top.

Momaru
October 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I wind up doing this on the highway as well. I don't feel the wind resistance so much in my mesh, but later in the year with my (essentially) unvented leather, I feel like a giant sail on the bike when I'm upright. I'm not a big guy (5'8", 140lbs) and I feel a huge difference on at speed tucking. My elbows eventually get sore as well as my neck from tucking on my long rides, but that's one more reason for clip-ons I suppose :D

Like Karl, I worry about scratching my tank with jacket fasteners, but not overmuch.

Daeldren
October 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
you can shift your butt back in the seat when your tucked in to place more weight in the rear end (but its not really needed if you have a decent rear shock and good tires).

paterick4o8
October 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
you should fine

but the MOST IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT THING: make sure you have a tank protector so you dont scratch it up :lol:

oh and keep your hands loose at the bar, no need to hold on to them for dear life

Anthony_marr
October 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
If I know I'll be doing a lot of highway riding, I'd place a magnetic bag on the tank and stuff something soft and bulky into it. This has 4 benefits:

1. It allows you to rest your chest on the bag, which I find very comfortable.

2. It cuts out the wind blasting you in the neck and chest coming up from between the forks.

3. It protects the tank from being scratched by anything abrasive on your jacket.

4. That something soft and bulky might be what you need to bring with you anyway, like a sleeping bag or bike cover.

shadow
October 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM
It DOES help ALOT...ive watched the speedo @ WOT doing a pass on 93N, 70mph->80mph...upright was decent gain, but when I tucked I got the same gain at 3/4 to 2/3 throttle, and WOT was MUCH faster accel. Plus, another test to prove resistance...leave your hand STEADY on the throttle, 70mph works (little crosswind if possible) while upright. Now, drop/tuck and KEEP your hand where it is on the throttle, you will actually feel the bike pull and accelerate, and watch the needle climb on the speedo.
I have stock bars, which are..."Functional" but I'm all kinds of hot n' bothered for either the Sportisi kit or the WC clippers.
Also, straddled an 07 ZX-10R at the dealership, Shizz n giggles, and found they engineered a "dent" into the gas tank for the chest and a very ergo slope to the seat for extended times in tuck...quite comfy! it seems Kawi puts their R&D into rider/bike connection and ergos, (as well as the usuals) whereas say, Yamaha, puts theirs into bike/tech R&D...forgoing some of the ergos. But, being blasphemous, I've got the biggest crush on an '05 R6 Raven/ 06-09 R6S. Comfy, handlebars are in the most amazingly natural spot and the legs hug the side very wonderfully...just havent ridden one yet, heard they are like a Lotus Elise...fast and outstanding handling until you hit their limit...

CZroe
October 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
When I tuck like that my helmet blocks part of my view. This goes away when I lift with my left hand, so I want to put a little extra cushioning between my top padding piece and the shell (<1/3 an inch). FWIW, my helmet seems to fit fine. I'm aware that most people buy helmets that are too large because they don't know how it's supposed to feel, but I still think I got the correct size (XL). That said, it says XXL on the styrofoam shell inside. I'm assuming that they use the same shell for both sizes and just give you different padding pieces to fit.

ScorpionNinja
October 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/kawasaki_sptbks/281.html
:D

sport touring one!

Im thinking of getting one to have as a seasonal switch out. Fall months, then again for Mar-April! Then just switch back to the ZG-DB for the Summer!

CZroe
October 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/kawasaki_sptbks/281.html
:D

sport touring one!

Im thinking of getting one to have as a seasonal switch out. Fall months, then again for Mar-April! Then just switch back to the ZG-DB for the Summer!

As much of a sucker for functionality as I am, I only like the look of the OEM/SR (Stock Replacement) when seen on the bike. I might take that detachable sport touring lip that I've seen around... If only they made one for double-bubble, it sounds like exactly what you'd be looking for too. :D

andrewexd
October 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I do this sometimes, especially when its cold out. Only problem is I wear glasses so I can't go all the way down on the tank.

Sailariel
October 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I second what Anthony said. I installed a ZG Touring windscreen and feel I can tuck in behind it without straining my neck. I do a lot of cycling (pedal variety) and always sit up when I want to scrub speed--same applies to riding a motorcycle. Aerodynamics can really work for you.

Cedilla
October 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't like to tuck like that much, the only time you will see me tucking is if I wore the wrong gear, and im am freakin freezing. It just strains my neck, and I really don't like not being able to see very far down the road. If you really want to feel how much of an aero benefit you get from tucking, get up to about 80 or so, and roll off the throttle while still tucked in, watch how slowly the needle goes down, then raise up, and u will see the speedo needle go down much much faster and u can feel the difference in deceleration.

shadow
October 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Works for the MotoGP guys.....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/208851/images/Mika%20Kallio.jpg

I do this all the time. Takes all the stress off my arms, shoulders, wrists and butt... the only thing that's stressed is my neck, from having to bend it to look up/forward at the road. But it's comfortable enough for several minutes at a stretch that I make a habit of it, especially over 65 mph or so.

I don't think it'd do anything for you in a crash. If you come off the bike you're not going to be in that tuck by the time you hit the ground.

I think that tucking provides obvious benefits to performance, and the faster you go, the more you gain. Your torso is one great big air brake, and at highway speeds that's a LOT of force. Stick your hand out in the breeze sometime to see how powerful the wind is. With only 27 horsepower (+/-) at the wheel, we need all the help we can get.

I swear I can tell the difference in power available to pass on the highway but it might just be the placebo effect. I also believe I can feel the drag when I sit up. It's how I start to slow the bike initially when I see brake lights ahead. It has the nice side-effect of suddenly making me appear larger to those following... which hopefully gets their attention.

Besides, it lets me pretend I'm Valentino Rossi....

:rotflmao:

Wow, it took me until right NOW to notice the intake scoop on the nose of that bike....:doh: