View Full Version : Gaining too much confidence on turns?

dimeified
October 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,
I recently started a thread about the benefits about riding low against the gas tank behind the windscreen for acceleration, and i've found myself doing this during most of my commute to work now when on the highway. I also though seem to be able to take the turns now on the garden state parkway without slowing down at 85ish/90. Being low to the bike i feel like one with it, and when im turning if i find myself drifting towards the edges of my lane i just need to turn even more, and there seems to be no limit, i never run out of turning reserve. This helped me realize that proper riding technique can really transform the abilities of a person. I also learned that boxer shorts suck when your n*ts get caught in the seams, it ruins the ride, completely. So i decided its all boxer briefs for me now. The point is, i want to learn more about riding techniques, what websites/videos would you guys recommend specifically to sportbike riding technique? I did a google search but the results are so scattered.

Nemesis
October 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Take a cornering school like Keith Code, Jason Pridmore's Star School, etc. There are plenty out there but the more comfortable you become on your bike and try to be "one with the bike" the more aggressive your riding becomes on the streets which is a no, no.

Take it to the track, is all I'm gonna say!

Momaru
October 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
A couple books might help too: Proficient Motorcycling (don't remember author) or Lee Parks' Total Control are good places to start. There's more suggestions on the site, somewhere.

dimeified
October 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Your absolutely right, I'm sure I'm getting ahead of myself with only 4 months and 2400 miles of experience. I know i shouldn't be screwing around on the street. Thanks for the recommendation on the schools, I'm definitely going to look into them.

Nemesis
October 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Books can only teach you so much. One on one coaching is the best IMO.

Okay, maybe that wasn't ALL I was gonna say. LOL!

bob706
October 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I also learned that boxer shorts suck when your n*ts get caught in the seams, it ruins the ride, completely.

Thanks for painting that picture. Really glad I ate lunch already. :D

HKr1
October 14th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for painting that picture. Really glad I ate lunch already. :D

Ha Ha! I was wondering why the others didnt mention anything about his new shorts.

kkim
October 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Read Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist 2", then look for a track riding school in your area.

adouglas
October 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Careful you don't overcook it. Youtube is full of crash videos of guys doing exactly what you describe and letting it drift just a little bit too far to the outside....

When I was at the Indy MotoGP this year I picked up another pair of Lee Parks gloves (love 'em) and took a look at their Advanced Riding Clinic course. There's one that gets run not far from you... Poughkeepsie, I think.

Check out the website.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopitems_cat_530-18381.Total_Control_Training.htm

Apex
October 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
There is a school out there where you and the instructor both have bluetooth headsets. He tells you what to do as you ride, not after, so there is a quick learning curve and he won't forget anything "later".

I need to look up that school name. It may have been Pridmore's school. I'll see if I can find it.

CC Cowboy
October 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,
I recently started a thread about the benefits about riding low against the gas tank behind the windscreen for acceleration, and i've found myself doing this during most of my commute to work now when on the highway. I also though seem to be able to take the turns now on the garden state parkway without slowing down at 85ish/90. Being low to the bike i feel like one with it, and when im turning if i find myself drifting towards the edges of my lane i just need to turn even more, and there seems to be no limit, i never run out of turning reserve. This helped me realize that proper riding technique can really transform the abilities of a person. I also learned that boxer shorts suck when your n*ts get caught in the seams, it ruins the ride, completely. So i decided its all boxer briefs for me now. The point is, i want to learn more about riding techniques, what websites/videos would you guys recommend specifically to sportbike riding technique? I did a google search but the results are so scattered.

I think Haines has a site that offers instructions (Michael narrates) and Charlie Sheen does the "hands on" in the video.

Syphen
October 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The best thing I ever did was go to a track riding school. I had already been riding for a few years but I learned a heck of a lot when I took it. I recommend you go to one of those. They will teach you to forget stuff from the MSF and how to ride fast. But you need to remember that the techniques they teach you there are great for the track but not so much for safe riding on the street in traffic.

g21-30
October 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-training/total-control/advanced-riding-clinic.htm

Check it out, as there maybe a class near you. For MD, WV, and VA residents there is a class in Frederick, MD and Columbia, MD.

Jerry
October 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
You probably already know the answer. There's confident, and safe. There's overconfident, and not safe. Stay on the safe side.

:thumbup:

CC Cowboy
October 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The best thing I ever did was go to a track riding school. I had already been riding for a few years but I learned a heck of a lot when I took it. I recommend you go to one of those. They will teach you to forget stuff from the MSF and how to ride fast. But you need to remember that the techniques they teach you there are great for the track but not so much for safe riding on the street in traffic.

Unless you have to panic stop ( track schools teach you to stop in shorter distances), or you are in a corner to hot and start drifting into on coming traffic (track schools will teach you how to get lower in a corner). Then again if you are riding safely on the street this will never come up (as the list on members who have crashed proves).