View Full Version : Winterizing...

emilyLOVESlime
October 15th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Boo. Its already cold here in good ole Michigan, and I've dropped off my Ninja at the welder's. As soon is she is fixed up, I will ride her home to my parents' house where there is a nice warm garage for her to hibernate.

I've stumbled across the thread in the new-gen section for winterizing, figured it was the same or similar for a pre-gen, but one question- I'm going to get a battery tender, but motorcycle superstore offers a 12V or 6V tender. Since I don't have the bike with me, I can't really figure out which one I'm supposed to get. Suggestions? Answers?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/60/950/ITEM/Battery-Tender-Junior-Charger.aspx

-Em

rockNroll
October 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
12 volt. The one in your link works great, I have two.

kkim
October 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
yep, 12v and I have that same unit as well.

emilyLOVESlime
October 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Awesome, thanks :) I'm going to pick one up for little brother too.

kkim
October 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
little brother? another bike or a real relative? :)

emilyLOVESlime
October 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
A real relative. He's my favorite sibling and the one most like me. We look like twins :D

He's got a black '07 that I'm currently borrowing since mine is finally being fixed. But yeah, he took the MSF course a couple months after I did and got a bike. It took me two years to get my dad to let me buy one, but once I did, he got his pretty fast. No fair, heh.

kkim
October 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM
okay... I was going to mention that if the bikes are stored physically close together, you can buy just the "pigtail" portion and hook the one tender between the 2 bikes by switching the power cord back and forth between the 2 every couple of weeks instead of having to purchase 2 battery tenders. :)

rockNroll
October 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
mine is finally being fixed

Is this the broken engine case being repaired?

emilyLOVESlime
October 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Is this the broken engine case being repaired?

Yeah...there was a huge scheduling issue with when the guy had time to do it/when I could take a day off work to get it there/everything else. Finally got it to the shop this morning, he said he could get it done over the weekend and I could pick it up Monday or Tuesday. I'm super stoked...I wonder how this will affect resale value, since I will probably be moving cross country within the year and will have to let her go :(

M
October 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
You want a tender that has an output of 1A or less. Higher than 1.25A can have negative affects on the 250's small battery.

FWIW, you don't need to use the tender all winter long. Hook it up every 2-4 weeks just long enough to fully charge your battery.

greg737
October 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Here in Spokane it doesn't get quite as cold as Michigan, so my version of winterizing is to wear warmer riding gear, use the heated grips, and put the hippo-hands on the bike.

On bad months I'll get a ride in unless the snow is really heavy and persistant, but most winter months the streets will dry out occasionally and I'll get two or three rides. Less than that and I get EX-250 withdrawal symptoms.

rockNroll
October 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You want a tender that has an output of 1A or less. Higher than 1.25A can have negative affects on the 250's small battery.

FWIW, you don't need to use the tender all winter long. Hook it up every 2-4 weeks just long enough to fully charge your battery.

The tender in her link is "smart" and monitors the battery's condition and trickles when needed. It can be left on the battery for eons.

emilyLOVESlime
October 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
okay... I was going to mention that if the bikes are stored physically close together, you can buy just the "pigtail" portion and hook the one tender between the 2 bikes by switching the power cord back and forth between the 2 every couple of weeks instead of having to purchase 2 battery tenders. :)

OoOo I missed this post! That may work; they are both going to be in the garage. I will see if my parents will be okay being bothered to switch the cords and stuff...they will probably be fine.

subiegy2010
November 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM

Darn, I just bought one that is rated at 1.5A. How bad would it be to hook the battery up to it like once every couple weeks?

EDIT: Nevermind, Amazon has a pretty good deal on the Battery Tender Jr. right now. I'll just order it and return the one I bought.

emilyLOVESlime
November 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Wellll, my brother and I just spent about 2 hours last week winterizing both our bikes...put Seafoam in tank, topped off tank, changed oil (no filters though; we didn't have any on hand), drained carbs (which was fun and surprisingly easy! :)), and hooked both our bikes up to the tenders.

Then we put two blankets over them since the covers that I bought didn't fit the bikes...and they look like they're sleeping...awww.

And I now have five months to wait before I can ride again. Driving a car is very strange; I'm not used to it yet :p

Snake
November 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Post a pic of of your bikes sleeping. That woyld be a great pic.

CZroe
November 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Wellll, my brother and I just spent about 2 hours last week winterizing both our bikes...put Seafoam in tank, topped off tank, changed oil (no filters though; we didn't have any on hand), drained carbs (which was fun and surprisingly easy! :)), and hooked both our bikes up to the tenders.

Then we put two blankets over them since the covers that I bought didn't fit the bikes...and they look like they're sleeping...awww.

And I now have five months to wait before I can ride again. Driving a car is very strange; I'm not used to it yet :p

Huh? Are you re-learning or is are you honestly not used to driving a car? :eek:

Just how old are you?! :p

emilyLOVESlime
November 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Post a pic of of your bikes sleeping. That woyld be a great pic.

I'll get my brother to take a pic when he goes home this weekend :D They're squeezed into the corner of the garage next to my other brother's project bike.

Huh? Are you re-learning or is are you honestly not used to driving a car? :eek:

Just how old are you?! :p

I hadn't driven a car for more than 5 minutes in over 10 months...I don't really like driving. I didn't have a car on campus and just rode my motorcycle all summer :p I am 22 ;)

CZroe
November 2nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'll get my brother to take a pic when he goes home this weekend :D They're squeezed into the corner of the garage next to my other brother's project bike.

I hadn't driven a car for more than 5 minutes in over 10 months...I don't really like driving. I didn't have a car on campus and just rode my motorcycle all summer :p I am 22 ;)

I know the feeling! My bike is my only ride. I'm lucky that I now live in a place where I can ride year-round.

My sister forced me to take her car recently to get her dog from the vet and it felt very funny after several months without even touching one's steering wheel. :) Been drivin' for 11 years, motorcyclin' for just over one. :D She gets mad when I suit up to go run errands that she'd rather I take the bike to do (she is my room mate). I always surprise myself with how much I can fit in my little tank bag. :thumbup: